BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 36d, 10h, 26m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 5338MB of 8191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Basic and Classic theme on Windows 10?        Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:46 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 8 Build 8176
As you can see in this video by TechnologicalByte (at 10:53), Windows 10 can switch to Windows Vista/7's Windows Basic theme if certain system files are deleted.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to force Windows 10 to use the Basic theme without breaking the OS like that. I don't mean using a custom theme installed by patching uxtheme.dll and stuff, I mean actually unlocking the hidden Basic theme. This would only change things like window borders, since the taskbar's appearance (apart from color) isn't changed with themes like in Windows 7.

Using a similar technique you might be able to unlock a Windows Classic theme as well, since the video I mentioned above also shows Windows Vista/7's fallback theme on Windows 10, which is a derivative of the Windows Classic theme as far as I can tell. I know of a tweak that allows you to get the Windows Classic theme on Windows 10, but that appears to be adding new functionalities rather than modifying existing ones.

I think it would be really cool if the theme customization control panel, which let you change various aspects of themes like the desktop background color, title bar size, etc. were to be ported over from Windows Vista/7. Being able to customize the appearance like that would be awesome.

If one of you finds out how to get the Windows Basic and Windows Classic themes in Windows 10 (preferrably version 1909 or 2004), be sure to tell me about it in this thread.

Windows 8 Beta
For testing purposes only. Build 8176.fbl_core2_sid_dev120104-2026.6d8ec67b25e74be5

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Basic and Classic theme on Windows 10?        Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:09 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7
LeonardoIannelliRETRIEVES wrote:
As you can see in this video by TechnologicalByte (at 10:53), Windows 10 can switch to Windows Vista/7's Windows Basic theme if certain system files are deleted.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to force Windows 10 to use the Basic theme without breaking the OS like that. I don't mean using a custom theme installed by patching uxtheme.dll and stuff, I mean actually unlocking the hidden Basic theme. This would only change things like window borders, since the taskbar's appearance (apart from color) isn't changed with themes like in Windows 7.

Using a similar technique you might be able to unlock a Windows Classic theme as well, since the video I mentioned above also shows Windows Vista/7's fallback theme on Windows 10, which is a derivative of the Windows Classic theme as far as I can tell. I know of a tweak that allows you to get the Windows Classic theme on Windows 10, but that appears to be adding new functionalities rather than modifying existing ones.

I think it would be really cool if the theme customization control panel, which let you change various aspects of themes like the desktop background color, title bar size, etc. were to be ported over from Windows Vista/7. Being able to customize the appearance like that would be awesome.

If one of you finds out how to get the Windows Basic and Windows Classic themes in Windows 10 (preferrably version 1909 or 2004), be sure to tell me about it in this thread.

This is extremely easy. Just kill all modern apps, suspend sihost.exe, kill explorer.exe, suspend winlogon.exe, and then kill dwm.exe using your preferred task manager. (I use process hacker)
WARNING: THIS BREAKS A LOT OF STUFF INCLUDING THE UI. Also, do NOT restart explorer.exe.
It will freeze.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Basic and Classic theme on Windows 10?        Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:14 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7

For the classic theme, simply kill any themesection handles in winlogon.exe and then newly launched apps will have the classic theme. If you want explorer in the classic theme restart it.
Windows 10’s explorer will break under the classic theme. If you want a working explorer then use 8.1 with the classic theme.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Basic and Classic theme on Windows 10?        Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:18 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 7

The basic theme in that video is caused by dwm.exe crashing.
The classic theme is caused by winlogon.exe crashing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Basic and Classic theme on Windows 10?        Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:32 pm 
FTP Access

I've already tried this on Windows 10, it just doesn't work. Under Windows XP it was relatively easy to import themes.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Basic and Classic theme on Windows 10?        Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Hey,

Maybe this might usefull in this case https://github.com/Phorofor/DWM.ForceSwitch

Thanks,
Hectorsky

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Basic and Classic theme on Windows 10?        Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:13 am 
Staff

Hectorsky wrote:
Hey,

Maybe this might usefull in this case https://github.com/Phorofor/DWM.ForceSwitch

Thanks,
Hectorsky

It does say though that it does not work on newer Windows 10 builds like 1709.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Basic and Classic theme on Windows 10?        Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 11:15 am 
Donator

It might be worth mentioning that an app can request that theming be disabled on all its windows with the SetThemeAppProperties API.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Basic and Classic theme on Windows 10?        Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:01 pm 

Favourite OS
9600 or something idk
Actually, starting with Windows 8, you don't even have to disable DWM to enable the classic theme.

It's somewhat of a messy process and not without its drawbacks (especially on Win10), but it can be done.

Top  Profile