BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 15h, 54m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 4297MB of 8191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Mac OS X DP2 won't boot properly after installation        Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:48 pm 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.2.8 (6R73)
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but it seems like an appropriate place for this question I have... I have downloaded Mac OS X Developer Preview 2 from a different site, and have been attempting to install it on a PowerBook G3 Lombard. The issue I'm consistently running into is this: the installation will go smoothly, but after rebooting into the installed system, it hangs right before the Setup Assistant should be launched. The mouse cursor is still movable, but there's nothing else on the screen - just the blue background. If anyone has any pointers as to why this is happening, and/or whether there's a workaround, it would be greatly appreciated. Of course, I'm not going to use it regularly, but such alphas/betas are kind of fun to mess with.

Thanks,
-os9er

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X DP2 won't boot properly after installation        Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:59 pm 

Favourite OS
mac os 7.5.3 revision 2
If you're just wanting to run DP2 for fun, it installs and runs well in QEMU. I have it running in QEMU on Windows 10, if you want I can post the configuration.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X DP2 won't boot properly after installation        Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:31 pm 

Favourite OS
Favorite*
I think DP2 would only run on a beige g3 or an early blue and white.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X DP2 won't boot properly after installation        Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:15 pm 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.2.8 (6R73)
Thanks for replying... The installation manual says it can run on any PowerBook G3 except the original 1997 model, so I figured I'd try it on my Lombard... As for QEMU, I have it installed on my PC, I just don't especially like having to start it via the command-line. However, if you could post your configuration @tarquin44, I'll try it.

Thanks,
-os9er

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Mac OS X DP2 won't boot properly after installation        Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:52 pm 

Favourite OS
mac os 7.5.3 revision 2
Firstly you'll need to create a 2G drive with

qemu-img.exe create -f raw -o size=2G dp2.img

You then need to initiallise the disk in Mac OS9, (I used Mac OS 9.1 in QEMU). Then launch QEMU with:

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot d -m 512 -M g3beige -cpu g3 -prom-env "boot-device=cd:9,\\:tbxi" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -drive file=dp2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=dp2.img,format=raw,media=disk -sdl -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01

When it's finished installing shut down QEMU and boot into the hard disk with:

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot c -m 512 -M g3beige -cpu g3 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -drive file=dp2.img,format=raw,media=disk -sdl -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01

That will do it.

Top  Profile