BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 12h, 0m | CPU: 44% | MEM: 5367MB of 11604MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Windows Longhorn build 4002 install BSOD        Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:31 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:35 pm

Posts
13

Location
United States - exact location is unknown...

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1/ 10/ XP SP3/ 8.1
I'm attempting to clean install Windows Longhorn build 4002 in VMware Workstation so I can upgrade to builds like the recently leaked 4039 (Lab06 n.030824-1954) which cannot be booted from it's original CD (I'm too lazy to use another build's winpe). But when setup starts to format the disk, it throws a BSOD. I don't know what to do. I set the compatibility to 6.5-7 and the hdd is ide and it still gives me the blue screen.
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Longhorn build 4002 install BSOD        Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:46 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:40 pm

Posts
1182

Location
Flying high in a DC10

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
When it throws off the unknown hard error, reboot, press esc as soon as bios splash comes up and try again.

This time around, press shift-f10 when "welcome to setup" pops up and use diskpart to clean and redo the drive.

So in diskpart,
Code:
select disk 0
clean
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
active


Then exit, and exit again. Select that partition in setup.

_________________
Quote:
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Longhorn build 4002 install BSOD        Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:14 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:35 pm

Posts
13

Location
United States - exact location is unknown...

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1/ 10/ XP SP3/ 8.1
yourepicfailure wrote:
When it throws off the unknown hard error, reboot, press esc as soon as bios splash comes up and try again.

This time around, press shift-f10 when "welcome to setup" pops up and use diskpart to clean and redo the drive.

So in diskpart,
Code:
select disk 0
clean
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs quick
active


Then exit, and exit again. Select that partition in setup.


I did what you told me, but it still gives me the same BSOD with the same error. Now what?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Longhorn build 4002 install BSOD        Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:15 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:11 pm

Posts
269
Upgrade from either XP or a previous build, such as 3683.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Longhorn build 4002 install BSOD        Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:34 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:35 pm

Posts
13

Location
United States - exact location is unknown...

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1/ 10/ XP SP3/ 8.1
Windows Thunderstruck wrote:
Upgrade from either XP or a previous build, such as 3683.

Alright, I installed XP, but when I attempted to run the Longhorn setup, it throws an error message:
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Longhorn build 4002 install BSOD        Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:49 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:40 pm

Posts
1182

Location
Flying high in a DC10

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
NVM it's an i386 install. Stupid me.


In the readme it states to directly run winnt32.exe in the i386 folder to upgrade.

_________________
Quote:
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Longhorn build 4002 install BSOD        Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:21 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:35 pm

Posts
13

Location
United States - exact location is unknown...

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1/ 10/ XP SP3/ 8.1
yourepicfailure wrote:
NVM it's an i386 install. Stupid me.


In the readme it states to directly run winnt32.exe in the i386 folder to upgrade.

Alright, I started the upgrade, now I come across this:
Image

What am I going to have to do next?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Longhorn build 4002 install BSOD        Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:26 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:44 pm

Posts
8

Favourite OS
4093
Copy the file from other previous build iso to continue installation.

_________________
A little learning is a dangerous thing.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Longhorn build 4002 install BSOD        Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:47 am 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:11 am

Posts
135
WinFS. Screw it - I recently got hold of that build and installed it by just clicking "Cancel" on those 3 WinFS files. It doesn't look like someone wants to test WinFS on these Longhorns - it's very buggy.

_________________
The developer of Win1 Packet - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=40233
The developer of IM1024 INSTALL.BAT Patch: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=40317


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Longhorn build 4002 install BSOD        Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:04 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:35 pm

Posts
13

Location
United States - exact location is unknown...

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1/ 10/ XP SP3/ 8.1
vlad557776 wrote:
WinFS. Screw it - I recently got hold of that build and installed it by just clicking "Cancel" on those 3 WinFS files. It doesn't look like someone wants to test WinFS on these Longhorns - it's very buggy.

This successfully installs Longhorn. Thank you.

Image


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2020

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS