BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 32d, 0h, 58m | CPU: 35% | MEM: 5404MB of 8191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Anyone know the orgin of the windows vista beta 2 sound?        Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:21 am 

Favourite OS
NT 5.0 build 1946
i have tested most beta 2 builds but none have the illusive sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icGXlBZZYiM
this is the sound im talking about (No this is not my channel)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone know the orgin of the windows vista beta 2 sound?        Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:19 am 

Favourite OS
Michael Jackson's OS
This sound is not used in any Windows Vista beta builds for the startup sound. IIRC, the sound came from the end of Vista Beta 2/RC help tutorials.

Long live my legends!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone know the orgin of the windows vista beta 2 sound?        Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:39 pm 

Favourite OS
I have a copy of Beta 2, and it's not there. It wasn't used for beta builds.

Tag: Dodder#1053
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4Vhz9voBjD1PtI3cXM5Vg?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone know the orgin of the windows vista beta 2 sound?        Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:21 pm 

Favourite OS
XP,LH 4074,Win7,Win8.1
What was it used for then?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone know the orgin of the windows vista beta 2 sound?        Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 3.2
perry wrote:
What was it used for then?

For the help and support videos in beta builds.

Shareware featuring an upgrade for pre-existing Windows 3.1 users and BONUS PACK
Distributed freely by PC World. March 1996

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone know the orgin of the windows vista beta 2 sound?        Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:18 pm 
FTP Access

What a beautiful sound, I've never heard it before. It must have been a forerunner of the Windows Vista/7 startup sound, although never implemented far beyond of help and support videos, but who knows.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone know the orgin of the windows vista beta 2 sound?        Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:00 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Vista 5212.winmain.050726-1915
Quote:
If you have used Windows Vista, one of the most significant things you've likely noticed is the new Windows Aero interface. While Windows Aero may sound like just a cool name, it's actually an acronym that stands for Authentic, Energetic, Reflective and Open. Prior to RTM, the Windows Aero experience was intentionally incomplete. What was missing were the cool new sounds that were designed specifically for the Windows Aero experience. While the Windows XP sounds were appropriate at the time Windows XP was built, they were very 'Western' and literal (e.g., you could tell that the sounds were played by a piano and other western orchestral instruments). The Windows XP sounds were not consistent with the interface design goals of Windows Vista, so we overhauled the sounds to complement and blend with the softer, cleaner Windows Aero Glass theme and user interface elements for Windows Vista.

[...]

It was our goal for the sounds to be just noticeable enough that if they weren’t there you would miss them, but they’re subtle enough that they don’t get in your way. Just like the visual cues of the new Start button, the audio cues of the new sounds are "rounded" and "translucent." The default sound scheme in Windows Vista is intentionally much gentler and softer than in previous versions.

[...]

P.S. -- here are a few interesting facts about the new Windows Vista Start-up sound.

The Windows Vista Startup sound:

• is made of dual ascending 'glassy' melodies played on top of a gentle fading Fripp 'AERO' Soundscape
  • has two parallel melodies played in an intentional "Win-dows Vis-ta" rhythm
  • consists of 4 chords, one for each color in the Windows flag
  • is ~4 seconds long, end-to-end
  • is a collaboration between contributors Robert Fripp (primary melody + Soundscape), Tucker Martine (rhythm) and Steve Ball (harmony and final orchestration)
  • would never have been possible without the great work of Microsoft's Steve Ball and his team. [...]

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20061110152 ... vista.aspx

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone know the orgin of the windows vista beta 2 sound?        Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:17 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
It was also featured in a MS video about designing Vista, featuring Robert Fripp.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone know the orgin of the windows vista beta 2 sound?        Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:39 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All evidence indicates that this is not startup sound, however I used to guess it is in other unreleased builds.

Top  Profile