BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 59d, 23h, 40m | CPU: 58% | MEM: 5037MB of 12191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: I can't install Windows NT 5.0 Build 2072+ in VirtualBox        Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:35 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 10 17134
When I try to boot the system ISO to be able to install this build or a higher one, it simply stays until Setup is starting Windows 2000. Is there any way to fix it?

And if not, how can I install a graphics driver to Windows NT that works with VMware? (because in that virtualizer it works, but I only have the 16 colors mode), because the ones I have don't work for me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I can't install Windows NT 5.0 Build 2072+ in VirtualBox        Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:45 am 

Favourite OS
Windows XP Pro SP3
AndreMor wrote:
And if not, how can I install a graphics driver to Windows NT that works with VMware? (because in that virtualizer it works, but I only have the 16 colors mode), because the ones I have don't work for me.

Try VBE driver, maybe? :o
https://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/vbemp.htm

Code:
import this

Instagram | DeviantArt

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: I can't install Windows NT 5.0 Build 2072+ in VirtualBox        Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:37 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 10 17134
TwilyDev wrote:
AndreMor wrote:

Try VBE driver, maybe? :o
https://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/vbemp.htm

I'm sorry, but it didn't work out. I got the STOP screen. Possibly because the system I'm using on the VM is a beta and that driver expects updated versions of Windows (such as a Windows NT 4 SP6 or Windows 2000 SP4).

If someone has another solution, you can put it here.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I can't install Windows NT 5.0 Build 2072+ in VirtualBox        Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Millennium 2358, Longhorn 3713
Just don't use VirtualBox or VMware for some of these Windows NT 5.0 betas. Use PCem or 86Box, they emulate a real machine from around the time these builds came out and thus have less problems. Alongside, you can also get the graphics card to work on all of these.

Also, even if you could get it to install in VirtualBox, I highly doubt that you'll be able to install a graphic driver in it anyways.

BetaWiki contributor.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: I can't install Windows NT 5.0 Build 2072+ in VirtualBox        Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
WfW 3.11
Use PCem with K6 emulation..slower but avoids incompatibility issues

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: I can't install Windows NT 5.0 Build 2072+ in VirtualBox        Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:00 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 10 17134
BF10 wrote:
Just don't use VirtualBox or VMware for some of these Windows NT 5.0 betas. Use PCem or 86Box, they emulate a real machine from around the time these builds came out and thus have less problems. Alongside, you can also get the graphics card to work on all of these.

1. Do you know of any ROM that can boot from CD-ROM? The ROMs I have can't do that. I did the classic method of starting from MS-DOS, but I got this.

2. More than the reason that I go slow like the PCs of that time, my processor is not able to keep emulating 100% a processor with the minimum requirements to run that system.

BF10 wrote:
Also, even if you could get it to install in VirtualBox, I highly doubt that you'll be able to install a graphic driver in it anyways.

I have a video driver for VirtualBox that works for any version of Windows NT up to Windows 7. That's why I had the idea to install it there.

xyz wrote:
Use PCem with K6 emulation..slower but avoids incompatibility issues

I'm going to try.

Last edited by AndreMor on Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I can't install Windows NT 5.0 Build 2072+ in VirtualBox        Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:27 pm 
Donator

AndreMor wrote:
1. Do you know of any ROM that can boot from CD-ROM? The ROMs I have can't do that. I did the classic method of starting from MS-DOS, but I got this.

86Box's Shuttle HOT-557 ought to work fine in most cases.

AndreMor wrote:
2. More than the reason that I go slow like the PCs of that time, my processor is not able to keep emulating 100% a processor with the minimum requirements to run that system.

That's quite vague. What is your exact guest configuration? What PC do you run the emulator on?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I can't install Windows NT 5.0 Build 2072+ in VirtualBox        Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:08 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 10 17134
AlphaBeta wrote:
86Box's Shuttle HOT-557 ought to work fine in most cases.

I got it.

AlphaBeta wrote:
That's quite vague. What is your exact guest configuration? What PC do you run the emulator on?

Intel Core i3-4160 @ 3.60Ghz, Pentium 166 for the guest

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: I can't install Windows NT 5.0 Build 2072+ in VirtualBox        Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:31 pm 
Donator

AlphaBeta wrote:

Intel Core i3-4160 @ 3.60Ghz, Pentium 166 for the guest[/quote]
Oh, I have the same CPU. From my observations, Pentium 75 should run at more or less full speed. NT5 is not particularly demanding in terms of CPU speed.

Top  Profile