BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 6h, 35m | CPU: 65% | MEM: 5357MB of 11398MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:52 pm 
Donator

Back in the late 90's my mate worked at M$ QA dept… that's where the Microsoft Internal 98/98SE on here came from.

I was cleaning out my old CD's and found a disk with some 98se beta stuff he sent me - no idea if this stuff is around or not.

The CD is labelled (in my handwriting) Windows 98 Service Pack 1 Build 2107) but it contains 2 items

- a full Install of Win98 called Win98osr and a folder called Win98sp1.

The update.info of the SP1 is contains at the bottom:
Code:
[Strings]
;Localizable strings
LangTypeValue               = 1033 ; 0x409
UPDATE_SHORT_TITLE          = "Service Pack"
UPDATE_TITLE                = "Windows 98 Service Pack"
SubVersionString            = " Service Pack 1 "
LANG                        = "EN"

;Non-Localizable strings:
KEY_RENAME                  = "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RenameFiles"
GUID                        = "{91d67b80-5482-11d2-bcc5-0000f83002c6}"
KEY_UPDATE                  = "System\CurrentControlSet\Services\UPDATE"
VERSION                     = "4,10,0,2107"

I have no idea what build the full install is - but files are dated 07/01/1999.

There is also a beta of something called Chrome Effects on there (assume it's beta)

Any use to anyone before I chuck the CD in the bin with loads of other junk?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
I would image the disk for a better look at least. Based on the info you gave, it could contain a build of Second Edition (still planned as an OSR at the time) and of the Service Pack. I believe both OSR and SP variants of the same build were made initially until they dropped the SP package and decided to release Second Edition as a full release only.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:35 pm 
Donator

Yeah I know that background... just no idea off hand what build the full install is(or where I can see quickly)

At least the update contained some reference in update.inf

I've no idea off hand if these are somewhere on the FTP already.

EDIT: Inside W98SETUP.BIN I see: ProductVersion4.10.2124

So I guess that's both build numbers. I've no interest in this and will be junking the CD-R. Not sure if any of these are on the FTP (Seems lots of restructuring going on there). I'll upload the builds if they are wanted.

I found this CD in the same case as a CD labelled 'I Luv Asians 2'. I've no idea why (or where that CD came from)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
USER.EXE inside the CABs usually gives the correct build number. 2124 doesn't seem to be leaked, but 2126 is, so this could be that perhaps.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:29 pm 
Donator

This came direct from my mate who was a QA resource at M$ so relation to other leaks is irrelevant.

USER.EXE from the cabs also states: FileVersion4.10.2124

Also SP1 update build 2107 … is that wanted/needed?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:32 pm 
FTP Access

Even though this is a very minor build of Windows 98SE, I think this build would make a worthwhile addition to the FTP.

I think that Service Pack build 2107 is also worth taking a look at.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Threat wrote:
This came direct from my mate who was a QA resource at M$ so relation to other leaks is irrelevant.

USER.EXE from the cabs also states: FileVersion4.10.2124

Also SP1 update build 2107 … is that wanted/needed?

Yeah, both 2107 and 2124 would be very interesting to take a look at.
Pretty weird though, there's a period where Windows 98 OSR1 and SP1 overlapped as OD mentioned earlier (at least 2106-2120), wonder what's up with that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:46 pm 
Donator

I've uploaded the ISO with all the content of the CD and will let the admins here sort out whats worth keeping off it and whats worth junking.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 3.2
Wait, isn't 2106 the beta 1 of SE? Why does 2107 calls itself SP1?

Shareware featuring an upgrade for pre-existing Windows 3.1 users and BONUS PACK
Distributed freely by PC World. March 1996

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:45 pm 
Donator

At the time it was going to be released as an integrated version (OEM Service Release) AND as an update (Service Pack).

They later scrapped the service pack and sold it to existing people as an upgrade (read: chargeable service pack :D)

From memory, the plan for SP1 / OSR was done just after I received this so this is probably one of the last builds of 98 SP1 before that plan was abandoned and OSR got renamed to SE.

If I recall, M$ did eventually release an SP1 for 98 that was just a collection of hotfixes (year 2000, etc). I think very few people used it though. Most went to 98se.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:54 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Threat wrote:
At the time it was going to be released as an integrated version (OEM Service Release) AND as an update (Service Pack).

They later scrapped the service pack and sold it to existing people as an upgrade (read: chargeable service pack :D)

From memory, the plan for SP1 / OSR was done just after I received this so this is probably one of the last builds of 98 SP1 before that plan was abandoned and OSR got renamed to SE.

If I recall, M$ did eventually release an SP1 for 98 that was just a collection of hotfixes (year 2000, etc). I think very few people used it though. Most went to 98se.

SP1 did last until at least 212x IIRC, given that 2120 is leaked in both OSR and SP1 forms. Think it would be neat to upload this ISO elsewhere as well, so that we can possibly see neat stuff that isn't suitable for the FTP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:20 pm 
Donator

Yeah I never said it was THE last, just ONE OF the last.

I was a student at uni at the time when my mate in Ireland was working as a contractor at M$. He was going to send me new beta's of this frequently (before the previous one expired)

But M$ had a change of direction. Ah well.

More U-turns than a British politician. ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Pretty interesting, I don't suppose you got any more discs like this at all? These sorts of internal disks can have various random stuff that might be interesting for some, after all.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:07 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Threat wrote:

Yeah, there was a "SP1" released later in 1999 but without any SE features. And it can be a bit confusing when you come across this other SP1 online and its build numbers are also in the 2000 range IIRC.

Is there any chance you could also upload the disk image to a file sharing site like MEGA or such, so we can take a look sooner?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:21 am 
Donator

There is not much extra on the CD.

- A version of something M$ were working on called Chrome Effects (not sure if beta of final)
- A version of Media Player (not sure if beta or final)

- Some test media files (mov, mp3)
- Some test 3dfx demos
- Some game demos (might be beta demos)
- Some copy of Cheyenne AntiVirus for Windows 95
- Something called spice (seems related to Chrome Effects)

And of couse the 98 OSR and SP1 beta's.

If you really wanted it and had any sense you would have had the ISO already ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:34 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Threat wrote:
There is not much extra on the CD.

- A version of something M$ were working on called Chrome Effects (not sure if beta of final)
- A version of Media Player (not sure if beta or final)

- Some test media files (mov, mp3)
- Some test 3dfx demos
- Some game demos (might be beta demos)
- Some copy of Cheyenne AntiVirus for Windows 95
- Something called spice (seems related to Chrome Effects)

And of couse the 98 OSR and SP1 beta's.

Offtopic Comment
No offense, but downloading it at 5kb/s is not something anyone wants to do nowadays (I have downloaded CD's at 8kb/s thrice already, think that's enough for my lifetime), especially considering the circumstances. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Threat wrote:

No, because the download speed from the public FTP upload account has been limited for quite a while now to just 5 kB/s to discourage downloading from it. At that speed, downloading it now is about as useful as simply waiting for mrpijey himself to move it somewhere more accessible.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:25 pm 
Donator

So what was the conclusion on the build numbers?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:29 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Threat wrote:
So what was the conclusion on the build numbers?

Checking out SP1 now, as for the OSR1 build:

EDIT:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:31 pm 
Donator

Ok so I guess that confirms 2124 for the OSR and 2107 for the SP Update:)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Threat wrote:
Ok so I guess that confirms 2124 for the OSR and 2107 for the SP Update:)

It does, thanks again for uploading this. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Warp 4 (14.098b_W4)
Here's some stuff on Chrome Effects. Search for "Chrome" and you'll find the info. https://news.microsoft.com/speeches/ste ... eybold-98/ . Seems kind of WebGLy.

Okay, so it's a project that had a bunch of hype from Microsoft but ultimately was canceled.

Here's one such announcement. It's even got a screenshot!

There's also a book someone wrote outlining the development of this project. Called "Renegades of the Empire: How Three Software Warriors Started a Revolution Behind the Walls of Fortress Microsoft". That's a title.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:59 am 
Donator

Would like to check 2107 pack recently, but cant find it on ftp. It's still in processing queue?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Some beta win98se stuff        Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 3.2
mrpijey doesn't have it in his archives, I contacted Threat but he didn't respond to me.

Shareware featuring an upgrade for pre-existing Windows 3.1 users and BONUS PACK
Distributed freely by PC World. March 1996

Top  Profile