BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 14d, 22h, 34m | CPU: 4% | MEM: 5536MB of 11650MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:29 am 

Favourite OS
Any KDE distro from the 2000's
I would like to dual boot my windows 8.1 installation with windows vista. Is it possible to do it, with 8.1 installed first? Just want to know how

Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:04 am 
FTP Access

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3, Windows 1.0 DR5
EvanKTC wrote:
I would like to dual boot my windows 8.1 installation with windows vista. Is it possible to do it, with 8.1 installed first? Just want to know how

You could always try on a virtual machine, before trying on a physical machine.

3. Windows 10
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows 8.1
6. Windows Vista (SP2)
7. Windows 8.0
8. Windows Vista (SP0)
9. Windows ME

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:29 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 10 9834
Install Windows Vista first, then install Windows 8.1. At last you will get a Windows Boot Manager Screen with both Vista and 8.1 option when you are booting your system.

Twitter/Sina Weibo:@BiAnMiXiang

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:42 pm 

Favourite OS
I'll try it in VMWare but it might be different since my laptop is UEFI and VMWare uses BIOS. I'm going to install 8.1 first and run the vista installer FROM 8.1. The virtual machine will use 4GB ram and 60GB storage

Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:49 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
It is entirely possible because they use the same boot loader known as BOOTMGR.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.
[/color]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:42 pm 

Favourite OS
Since vista was the first to use BOOTMGR, (xp and older used NTLDR) I'm gonna try it on my laptop and not on a VM this time and run the vista installer from 8.1 and see if it works

Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:58 pm 

Favourite OS
The first phase went pretty well and i entered my product key in, but after the first restart it listed itself in windows boot manager as "windows setup" , and when i boot into it, it blue screens and gives me error 0x0000001E. When i booted back into windows 8.1, it has a message saying it reverted my laptop back to normal, however it still lists itself in windows boot manager.

Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:54 pm 
Donator

Try booting from the Vista DVD and installing this way.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:46 pm 

Favourite OS
When i try to boot from it and install it onto the vista partition it says, "Windows Setup is unable to locate a valid hard drive to store temporary installation files."

Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:16 pm 

Favourite OS
Debian 10, 6002, 9600
https://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-ne ... windows-8/

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:56 pm 

Favourite OS
MCpillager12 wrote:
https://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-new-metro-boot-loader-and-bring-back-windows-vista-and-7-style-boot-loader-in-windows-8/

I already had the vista bootloader

Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:01 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
Go into diskmgmt.msc and look at the infobox next to the big bar for your hard disk. If it says GPT, iirc you can’t install Vista/7 on it.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.
[/color]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:58 pm 

Favourite OS
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
Go into diskmgmt.msc and look at the infobox next to the big bar for your hard disk. If it says GPT, iirc you can’t install Vista/7 on it.

What infobox, i'm confused

Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:34 pm 
Donator

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:

You wouldn't be able to install Windows 8.1 in the first place, if you had your firmware type and partition table type mismatched.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:03 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1 DR5 to 10 build 9901
It could problems like chipset modes or Secure Boot being on. Windows Vista does support EFI out-of-the-box if I'm not mistaken. When I was installing Windows 7 after 8.1, I remembered that I need to temporarily switch from AHCI to ATA modes. After Windows 7 was installed, I applied a registry tweak and gotten Windows 7 working with EFI and default AHCI. Try turning off AHCI if you can then turn it back on after applying the same tweak.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:15 pm 

EvanKTC wrote:
I'm going to install 8.1 first and run the vista installer FROM 8.1.

Don't do this.
ZhengXiaoAi wrote:
Install Windows Vista first, then install Windows 8.1.

Always install the older version of Windows first, then the newer one.
Make sure you completely format the disc completely first. Use GPT if booting in EFI mode, or MBR if in BIOS mode. It's possible 8 is doing something to the file system that Vista setup doesn't like, or your computer is in an unsupported configuration for vista.
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
If it says GPT, iirc you can’t install Vista/7 on it.

Windows Vista and 7 can read, write, and boot to GPT discs in EFI mode:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/hardware/design/dn640535(v=vs.85)?redirectedfrom=MSDN#can-windows-7-windows-vista-and-windows-server-2008-read-write-and-boot-from-gpt-disks

If you can't get dual boot to work, you can always install them on separate storage devices and swap between them using the BIOS startup menu.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:26 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
You don’t need to install the older OS first unless they use different bootloaders. If he was going to install Windows XP on his laptop, then yeah installing the older OS first would work better.

mrpijey wrote:
[/color]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:14 pm 

Favourite OS
MrBurgerKing wrote:
ZhengXiaoAi wrote:
Install Windows Vista first, then install Windows 8.1.

Always install the older version of Windows first, then the newer one.

I'm too scared to format my hard drive (even though i backed up i still don't want to have a new start, i've already formatted my hdd multiple times and i know how it feels). I'm still using windows 8.1 and want to dual boot vista since it's the best windows os IMO. I don't want to use a virtual machine or a vista transformation pack, just pure 8.1 and vista on my laptop, and i don't want to use vista as my main os since it already ended support. I know vista gets a lot of hate but it's the prettiest version of windows so far and it's unlikely there will be an even prettier windows version (since skeuomorphism is basically dead in os guis nowadays) and the service packs made it more stable.

Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD

Last edited by EvanKTC on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to dual boot vista and 8.1?        Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:51 am 

Favourite OS
Ended up installing to an external HDD.

Intel Core i7 2.4GHz
500GB HDD

Top  Profile  WWW