BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 19d, 23h, 35m | CPU: 61% | MEM: 5817MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Should we remove all the Windows 10 builds from the FTP?
Poll ended at Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:36 am
Yes, remove them. 20%  20%  [ 17 ]
No, keep them. 73%  73%  [ 61 ]
I don't care. 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 84
 PostPost subject: Re: Should we remove all Windows 10 releases?        Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:41 pm 
Administrator

600MB less is 3.8GB less as the remaining part of the file will not deduplicate with anything else. I am sorry, but there will be no compression as it will increase the storage needed for these files, meaning that instead of storing everything on 4x 10TB drives we'll need 11x 10TB drives, and backup drives to add.

I am however in the progress of patching up the ISOs which gives us the best of many worlds: We keep the files original, we keep deduplication of the source files and the total set becomes smaller.

This thread will be kept open, but I consider the case closed and the results of the poll to be a clear indication that the members want to keep the Win10 betas. So we'll keep them.

Thank you all for your input.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Should we remove all Windows 10 releases?        Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:06 pm 
FTP Access

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3, Windows 1.0 DR5
Whoever is complaining about them are just whiners.

3. Windows 10
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows 8.1
6. Windows Vista (SP2)
7. Windows 8.0
8. Windows Vista (SP0)
9. Windows ME

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should we remove all Windows 10 releases?        Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
JimOlive wrote:
Whoever is complaining about them are just whiners.

Eh, I wouldn't consider them "whiners", maybe they're just people who really want that stuff removed, while many of us think it should all stay :)

------------------------------

Anyway, yes, the Windows 10 betas might be taking up too much space on the FTP, but you do have times where you get new hard drives for the server, so it's probably not that big of a deal. However, hard drives are expensive, so storage increase can't happen all the time. Still, the FTP seems to be doing just fine with those betas in the repository.

I went with the "no, keep them" option.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should we remove all Windows 10 releases?        Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:20 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
Most certainly not-- but perhaps there is some point to not categorically preserving every single released build, since, particularly for Windows Insiders on the Fast Ring, we get a brand new build of Windows once every seven to ten days, and a lot of them don't have a lot of stellar differences between it and the build before it-- maybe pick and choose which builds are preserved, and which are glossed over. Windows 10 has kind of given us the sort of... wealth of choice that we never got with Vista or 7, where builds were drip-leaked by internal sources over years, rather than handed out to the public over the course of weeks.

I'd say preserve all builds prior to RTM, and then preserve select builds for each iteration thereafter, some more than others depending on if they have large-scale changes to the OS or not (like 20H1, for instance which has significant changes to some of the inner workings of the OS)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should we remove all Windows 10 releases?        Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:57 pm 

Favourite OS
Probably 95 or XP
Tbh I think all betas before RTM and major updates to Windows 10 (1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, etc.) should be preserved and the beta(s) that introduced those changes.

mrpijey wrote:
Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.
[/color]

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should we remove all Windows 10 releases?        Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:43 pm 
Donator

James wrote:
I'd say preserve all builds prior to RTM, and then preserve select builds for each iteration thereafter, some more than others depending on if they have large-scale changes to the OS or not (like 20H1, for instance which has significant changes to some of the inner workings of the OS)

Sure, but there is a large threat of the "non-chosen" builds having some hidden features that aren't present in the "chosen" ones.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should we remove all Windows 10 releases?        Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:52 pm 
FTP Access

I don't have an opinion either way with regards to nuke<-->keep, but I do want to say something about the deltas: While I think it'd be a good idea, I'd prefer to see something tried-and-true (and, if possible, open source to prevent vendor- or OS lock-in) being used. Personally I've never heard about that SVF format, though that may just be a coincidence. The one I usually see for things like this is xdelta. Anyways, before going down that route please at least look into what other options there are.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should we remove all Windows 10 releases?        Posted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:54 pm 
Administrator

Xdelta is useless for this. I've used it before but it works very badly unless you group the same languages together, and even then it's much worse than SmartVersion. And I have not seen any other good options even close. And from personal experience open source solutions always goes only half way of what's needed (like with xdelta) so I don't have any hopes really of finding an open source solution that is close to what SmartVersion does.

If you can find a different solution then please present it but until we find an at least equally efficient alternative SmartVersion will do.. And it comes for multiple platforms which is good enough for our needs.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Should we remove all Windows 10 releases?        Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:17 am 
FTP Access

How about using SmartVersion? Are you satisfied?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should we remove all Windows 10 releases?        Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:35 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
qta3426 wrote:

mrpijey wrote:
If you can find a different solution then please present it but until we find an at least equally efficient alternative SmartVersion will do.. And it comes for multiple platforms which is good enough for our needs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should we remove all Windows 10 releases?        Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:56 am 
FTP Access

yourepicfailure wrote:
qta3426 wrote:

mrpijey wrote:

I asked mrpijey if it was good because I suggested SmartVersion.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should we remove all Windows 10 releases?        Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:10 am 
Administrator

It works quite well, I've already started to patch up a lot of Win10 and Server16/19 builds and replace them on the FTP. It's slow, but it works. I have not yet updated the database to reflect these changes, but that will be done during the weekend.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Should we remove all Windows 10 releases?        Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:42 pm 
FTP Access

W10 is boring but well... BA remain BA, so...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should we remove all Windows 10 releases?        Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:40 am 

Favourite OS
Windows NT 5.0 EUR Edition
There's lots of websites we can download Win10 releases.So we can remove the Win10 releases here!
(By the way,Win10 releases are boring,and looks even worse than Win1.0!)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Should we remove all Windows 10 releases?        Posted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:06 am 
Administrator

I think this topic has served its purpose, and the majority has voted to keep the Windows 10 builds on the FTP.

The builds will stay but will be processed and patched as best as possible to reduce the FTP storage footprint.

Topic locked.

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3