FTP application & upload inquiries

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
mrpijey
Administrator

Re: FTP application & upload inquiries

Post by mrpijey »

I don't know what FL Studio is, but if it's a retail title and your copy is a retail copy then it should be fine.
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Chris54
FTP Access

Post by Chris54 »

Is there something wrong with my application/upload? I uploaded https://www.betaarchive.com/database/vi ... c2649d26e8 and my application still got denied.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

And when did you apply for FTP?

Chris54
FTP Access

Post by Chris54 »

I thought I did on Sunday. I'll try again.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Yes, but you're applying for a release you uploaded almost a year ago... so that's why you were rejected. I can't remember every release members uploaded at any time, the applications need to be done after the uploads are done since I match uploads with the applications. If an application is made and there's no upload it gets automatically and silently rejected.

I will look into your release and application as soon as possible.

Lingling

Post by Lingling »

Is Windows 10 Mobile beta suitable for the ftp?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

It should be if we don't have it and it's original.

slor
FTP Access

Post by slor »

Posting here since I can't yet PM. I realize what I did wrong on my photo submissions. Please verify that the main issue was with the DPI? Also, will that require I re-upload the entire ZIP files, or can I submit the new images to the FTP separately from the existing archives?

thanks!

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

DPI wasn't the only issue. Please check the scanning section of the guide and compare it to your scans and you'll see what's wrong.

Disc dumps are fine, so you only need to pack up the rescans and send them up.

slor
FTP Access

Post by slor »

Can you tell me so I don't screw up again? I know my alignment was a little off, and I'm trying to improve that, but was there anything else? I read that the ring scans don't "need the whole disc image", but I also didn't want to do any editing to them either (i.e. post-processing no-no) and don't really have a way to tell my scanner to only get the ring part. I did actually read the guide multiple times, so hopefully I've caught everything this time.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Well haven't you checked your scans? All the front sides of the discs are cropped. The ringcode side is fine as I will crop that down even further, but the front side must not be cropped in any way. It is mentioned in the guide.

slor
FTP Access

Post by slor »

New images uploaded for your verification. Thanks for the help!

EvanSki
FTP Access

Post by EvanSki »

What is best for you when taking pictures with my phone, I do not own a scanner and as of right now the only place I know of that has a scanner is closed due to the virus pandemic.
My phone creates the images into .jpg format by default, Should I convert them to .png or leave them as they are? I've noticed when I convert them the file size of the pictures drop and become more pixelated. In my last upload you said one of my pictures were not the same, could you clarify that more? Thank you.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

No do not convert the pictures, leave them as they are.

And did you even look through your pictures? I could tell you what's wrong with that one picture, but it's so easy to spot that it should have been immediately clear why it would never be approved.

TheBluePenguin
FTP Access

Post by TheBluePenguin »

I left 3 files uploading to the FTP whilst I went out shopping yesterday. When I got back I found that the file sizes for 2 of them were too small so I re-uploaded them all again and re-applied for access....shortly after I stumbled across your message about the scans not being acceptable. I didn't notice it before and all BetaArchive emails seem to go to my junk folder.

Please don't waste your time downloading and checking as they are the exactly the same as before, feel free to delete them. I will re-scan everything when I get the chance and upload later. Thanks!

CookieCoder
FTP Access

Post by CookieCoder »

Hi, 3 days ago now I submitted files to get FTP access, I was having a lot of trouble submitting due to my upload speed being 70kbps and time-outs. I did manage to get the files up though and sent in a request for FTP Access, my files have vanished off the FTP but I have not received access or a PM telling me if I did anything wrong, is this normal?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Yes, patience is expected. We (I specifically when it comes to releases) don't have this as a day job, so I have to squeeze in release processing inbetween Real Life™ and everything else I have to do with Andy to make this community run. I can process only so many releases per week, and I focus on those properly done first.

Your upload has however been accepted, but not yet published as I need to process it first.

Thank you.

Bogdan222

Post by Bogdan222 »

Hello I Have a copy of windows 10 In Romanian But I Don't have the artwork or Documentiation is it ok to upload

DeepHydra

Post by DeepHydra »

Hello I Have a game of Dark Messiah of Might And Magic But I have the artwork DVD is it ok to upload.
Thanks you.
Discord: @Телеканал RU.TV#7974

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Bogdan222 wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:36 am
Hello I Have a copy of windows 10 In Romanian But I Don't have the artwork or Documentiation is it ok to upload
You can always upload, but you won't be able to apply for FTP access with it. And since I don't know the origins of it I am not even sure I will put it on the FTP.

DeepHydra wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:26 am
Hello I Have a game of Dark Messiah of Might And Magic But I have the artwork DVD is it ok to upload.
Thanks you.
If properly archived and scanned yes. Please review our guidelines on this.

Thanks.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- mrpijey: By artwork, I assume he means the box and stuff, since he's offering it, I'd assume he has the disc.
Join [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/softhistory/]#softhistory @ RoL IRC[/url], a nice community for true enthusiasts!
Anime channel: [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/aniboshi/]#doki-doki @ RoL IRC[/url], Mibbit, KiwiIRC.
The 86Box help channel is #softhistory now!

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

And I assume by "artwork" any kind of artwork, including the disc artwork. A lot of people offer stuff that are not original.

But if it is truly an original then please upload it, with the artwork created from the disc.

Creedoo
FTP Access

Uploaded an abandonware to the ftp some time ago but no reply about it to this day

Post by Creedoo »

So to make long story short, I've uploaded an abandonware around a month ago (Tropico 1.0 in PL language), followed the guidelines correctly to the very dot, but to this day I still don't see it in the ftp database nor I got any message that it was rejected or anything.
What's a typical waiting time to make sure I don't apply for the ftp access too early ? How do I know if the upload is still being checked, if I'm sure it was uploaded as guidelines require ?

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: Uploaded an abandonware to the ftp some time ago but no reply about it to this day

Post by mrpijey »

I don't reply to every upload, and if there's no FTP application then I usually don't respond. We get lots of uploads where the user didn't bother reading the guidelines etc so if I replied to every one of those I wouldn't do much else.

As for your upload the artwork is missing, therefore it's not acceptable to the FTP. The guidelines specifically says properly prepared artwork is required for any upload to be admitted to the archives.

Creedoo
FTP Access

Re: Uploaded an abandonware to the ftp some time ago but no reply about it to this day

Post by Creedoo »

mrpijey wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:27 pm
I don't reply to every upload, and if there's no FTP application then I usually don't respond. We get lots of uploads where the user didn't bother reading the guidelines etc so if I replied to every one of those I wouldn't do much else.

As for your upload the artwork is missing, therefore it's not acceptable to the FTP. The guidelines specifically says properly prepared artwork is required for any upload to be admitted to the archives.
I did upload it with the artwork files too though, 4 files ending with "001" in the name (because of the stupid naming system of my scanner) *-)
Well I'll reupload it again then, good thing I kept the zip file on my PC just in case :mrgreen: