BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 75d, 2h, 35m | CPU: 56% | MEM: 6420MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Donator status        Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:23 pm 
FTP Access

I dislike the fact that a 'donation' is required to access part of the forum. Why not replace it with say 5 contributing releases?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Donator status        Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074, Whistler 2419
Because maintaining a site and FTP server costs a lot of money and BA needs some money in order to continue functioning correctly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Donator status        Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:20 pm 
Administrator

Resident007 wrote:
Because maintaining a site and FTP server costs a lot of money and BA needs some money in order to continue functioning correctly.

Not that it has to do anything with the OP's question, since it was about forum access, not the nature of why we need donations...

To answer the OP question: It's just one forum section, that's all. The people kind enough to donate gets this access. Moderators etc also get other access to the forum. It's not really a big deal, and you don't get any special benefits from being a donator except for that status and one forum section.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donator status        Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
It's not really that big of a deal, the donator forum isn't all that active. Plus, there's also a VIP section that donators don't have access to, but you don't hear us complain about that either.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Donator status        Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP Media Center Edition
I think it's perfectly fine to give those who donated to help BetaArchive access to a special forum on here.

As DanielOosterhuis said,
DanielOosterhuis wrote:
the donator forum isn't all that active.

So it isn't much to be a part of anyway.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Donator status        Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:44 pm 
FTP Access

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3, Windows 1.0 DR5
Regardless, the idea of donator-only forums seems silly.

3. Windows 10
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows 8.1
6. Windows Vista (SP2)
7. Windows 8.0
8. Windows Vista (SP0)
9. Windows ME

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Donator status        Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:46 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Would you care to give your reasons?

Getting access to another forum is a perk. It's not uncommon to get perks on a website when you donate. You're not missing anything in there if that's what you're worried about. It's barely ever used.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donator status        Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:54 pm 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
Would you care to give your reasons?

Getting access to another forum is a perk. It's not uncommon to get perks on a website when you donate. You're not missing anything in there if that's what you're worried about. It's barely ever used.

I think that goes against something you've repeatedly said: that donation should not be required to access any part of the site (after all, not everyone can do that). Hence my alternative suggestion - not easy but achievable without needing to pay.
True, it might be only a single forum, and rarely used, but the mere presence of something which cannot be unlocked by meaningful effort (like contributing x releases or the older 750 posts) bothers me.

DanielOosterhuis wrote:
It's not really that big of a deal, the donator forum isn't all that active. Plus, there's also a VIP section that donators don't have access to, but you don't hear us complain about that either.

As said above, access to that forum does require quite some work (or is intended to), and hence that bothers me less right now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Donator status        Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:05 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
So let me get this straight, you want us to give you more free access on top of the already incredibly generous free access that you already get, just because you don't like that someone has access to a little more than you? Is it some kind of jealousy? Do you some how feel entitled to it? Well guess what, not everything in this world is free and you're lucky that the BA FTP is.

Getting access to the donator forum is a perk and a thank you for choosing to donate, and is reserved for people who have chosen to donate. It doesn't contain anything valuable, nor is it particularly active despite the huge number of people who can see it, so really you're not missing out on anything.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Donator status        Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All Windows versions
I kind of agree with Daniel on his statement. I mean, the donators forum does seem to be inactive, but I do see new posts (on the forum index) from that forum once in a while. I don't want to sound stubborn, but I sometimes don't see a point in having a forum for people who donated to BA and got awarded donator status. But like Andy said, it exists on this forum because it's a nice way to thank someone for donating to BetaArchive and what not, so that's nothing to be worried about :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Donator status        Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:43 am 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
Getting access to the donator forum is a perk and a thank you for choosing to donate, and is reserved for people who have chosen to donate. It doesn't contain anything valuable, nor is it particularly active despite the huge number of people who can see it, so really you're not missing out on anything.

I see why the site has a special Donators only forum. As Andy said, it's for those who donate to keep this wonderful site up and running. It acts as a sort of community for those who have gone above and beyond everybody else. The fact that it is largely inactive is kind of sad, but it goes to show that the type of people who donate don't really care about using the forum that they and they alone have access to.

If it was changed from donator only to everybody who submits x amount of submissions, then it would defeat the purpose of rewarding those who donate by allowing people who haven't to obtain what they got as a reward.

So in the end, I understand your point about having a section of the forum barred away from the people who don't donate, but it does make sense as to why it is that way.

This is just my understanding of the whole situation. I'd be glad to hear yours, different or not.

DobaMuffin

Top  Profile