BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 4h, 55m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 5808MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Wanting to get into Linux, Gimme your advice!        Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:10 pm 
FTP Access

More and more of my friends have been jumping the boat, so to speak, and moving over to Linux. They just jumped right in, and I don't want to do that. I preferably would like to ease myself into the waters.

I would really like to dual-boot my XP install and a Linux install, so this is where you guys come in with helping me (If you want :P )

I need to know how much space to allocate for a Linux Install ( I have Partition Magic and my HD is only 40gb). I also need a good Linux Distro for a general/new Linux user. At first I just need the basics, A web browser, e-mail client. But I would eventually like to learn how to run Windows Applications (I think a buddy mentioned something called Wine?) on Linux.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:55 pm 
Donator

I think you should start with Ubuntu. It's a great distro and suitable for beginners as well as for more advanced users. The default install needs around 2 to 3 GB IIRC, but you should at least allocate ~5-8GB for it in order to have some room to grow and play. Running some Windows apps using Wine is possible, but there's a plenty of good Linuc apps out there. Installing Windows and Linux in a dual-boot configuration is easy. I advise you to use PartitionMagic only to shrink the Windows partition, but let the Ubuntu/Linux installer create the Linux partitions.,

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:41 pm 
Donator

Ubuntu is also good because you can order free discs of it here :D

If you want to, you can also test linux without installing it or partitioning your hard disk: Ubuntu have a live-CD where you boot off the CD to a usable desktop. The other good live-CD distro is Knoppix, which has a very nice desktop on a CD/DVD.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:50 pm 
Donator

Thanks for the additional info, I forgot about the free CD order possibility. But be prepared to wait for some weeks for the CDs to be delivered. Yeah, Ubutu combines the Live CD with the Install CD, when you boot off of it, you're using it "lively", if you like it, you just click an icon and it'll fire up the acctual install on your HD. Knoppix is really great, too, but for a beginner, it might be possible it actually contains too much software at once which can be confusing. Ubuntu is very streamlined and contains a basic set of Office and productivity apps after install and you can add everything you want later.

Of course, therre are other distributions meant for beginers like SuSE. Maybe even Fedora and Mandriva are worth a try, but I don't know much about these, how they feel and stuff, because I'm pretty much an Ubuntu/Debian and BSD guy...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:49 am 
FTP Access

OK, Ubuntu seems to be "it".

I'm at a download page. ftp://mirror.d-jacobs.com/ubuntu/edgy/ to be exact.
If I want the torrent, I'll get ubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386.iso.torrent , right?

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:11 am 
Donator

Yes :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:13 pm 
FTP Access

Ok, CD burned. I booted into Ubuntu and messed around for a bit and it seemed simple enough.

I go to install it and it and everything goes ok up through step 5 when I have to select a drive.

I chose to partition manually, and then selected dev/hda2 as the install and dev/hda5 as a swap drive. It then gave an error message something to the effect of "No Root File System."

Any advice? Thanks!

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:25 pm 
Donator

How big are your partitions? Did you actually format them? Please give a listing of your partition table.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:39 pm 
FTP Access

Just a quick picture taken in Partition Magic:

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:06 am 
Donator

Were the two Linux partitions created by PartitionMagic or by the Ubuntu installer? If by PM, delete them and let the Ubuntu installer recreate them, that seems to work much better. Another thing: Both partitions are primary, therefore they're called /dev/hda2 (root) and /dev/hda3 (swap). Now let's go to the install: After creating and formatting the partitions, did you mount the root partition? There'll be a mount option in the dialog that creates (and formats) the partitions, for the root partition (the big one) enter / (a slash) as the mount point. Do not mount the swap partition, it'll most likely be automatically recognized and activated.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:58 am 
FTP Access

Got it!

Installed and working (semi-)perfectly!

One thing I need to get it drivers for my Mouse and Keyboard. So if anyone has Linux Drivers for a Bluetooth Logitech MX5000 Keyboard/Mouse set, let me know :D

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:23 am 
Donator

Glad you got it working! :D Does the KB/mouse work up to a certain degree or doesn't it work at all? The thing you're probably gonna get to work is the Bluetooth stick and BlueZ stack for connecting to your mouse and keyboard, but... forget about Logitech drivers for Linux...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:34 am 
FTP Access

Doesn't work at all.

I'll do a little research on that "BlueZ stack" and see what I can turn up.

Thanks!

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:46 am 
Donator

Do a search on "Bluetooth Ubuntu" or "Bluetooth edgy". In most cases, you'll find an excellent wiki/howto on how to get this set up. It will probably involve some command line hacking, though, but if we're honest... That's the most exciting part about Linux and Unix.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:49 am 
FTP Access

Got it all. Everything seems to be working just fine with the keyboard now.

Thanks for all your help everyone, and don't be surprised if I come calling again :P

(I got it all figured out from here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BluetoothSetup )

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:58 am 
Donator

If there are any questions, then ask. :D Maybe you'll someday boot into Linux more than Windows and maybe even boot into Linux only then :wink: How was the command line hacking for you? Seriously, this is what I love about Linux/Unix. You can get everything done by using the keyboard (correctly). .

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:19 am 
FTP Access

I didn't think the command line hacking was too bad. Just like the good ole days of Dos :lol:

Last edited by glbanksitter on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:34 am 
Donator

Yes, it's a bit similar to that. But the Linux/Unix command line is incredibly more powerful. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:48 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
Yes, it's a bit similar to that. But the Linux/Unix command line is incredibly more powerful. :D

So I've seen! Sudo do this, Sudo do that. Sudo just needs a break :shock:

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:02 am 
Donator

glbanksitter wrote:
empireum wrote:

So I've seen! Sudo do this, Sudo do that. Sudo just needs a break :shock:

Well, on Unix(-like) OSes, you never work as the super user root, you're just a limited user. And sudo enables you to perform system-wide tasks such as installing apps and that stuff. It also enables you to blow away your entire system with just one command, so... be careful with what you're typing after sudo... :)

But, believe me, if/when you're familiar with the command line, life will get much easier. Being able to install or uninstall multiple applications with just one command and having the system do all the necessary stuff for you is great! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:21 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
... or you could use windows and stuff the command line crap! :lol: Move to the modern ages! Command line is for oldies still using DOS!

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:23 am 
Donator

No comment... :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:24 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
empireum wrote:
No comment... :?

lol, thought not. 8)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:56 am 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:
... or you could use windows and stuff the command line crap! :lol: Move to the modern ages! Command line is for oldies still using DOS!

Linux seems to be pretty modernized IMO. I did a bit of reading and I got WINE working (ALL BY MYSELF! Yee Haw!) and it seems to work fairly well at Emulating Windows programs.

When have you seen Windows emulate stuff from the Mac side of thing? :lol:

And, no, this does not in any manner meant that I'm ditching Windows entirely. I still have an iPod to tend to. :D

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:14 pm 
FTP Access

Andy wrote:

Agreed :D I watched some Linux people spend about 15 minutes trying to install Java on their Linux box just to look at something on the internet recently (and then eventually give up and load XP in a virtual machine instead :lol:) Although I would be interested in getting into Mac OS X at some stage and explore the Unix side of things a bit (I think OS X would be a good taste of Unix as it's really user-friendly and "won't bite", unlike Linux).

Top  Profile