BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 17h, 9m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5981MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Automatic Notice: The FTP is currently experiencing problems and is offline. Please sit tight while the problem is fixed. - 13/Nov 14:34pm GMT

Forum rules

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it

PostPost subject: The psychology of collecting and preserving things        Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:34 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn
I know I've had a thread similiar to this one, but I got some new ideas and want to approach this on a different level.

From a "normal people" kind-of-view, collecting very old operating systems for computers that aren't made anymore and serve practically no purpose in everyday-life looks very odd.

Of course, I'm a big fan of this and when you're reading this, you are probably too. But why? What are the deep reasons why we do this "obviously" nonsense thing?

For me, this is probably four things.

• I've done it since I was younger and I always get a good feeling when seeing the BetaArchive start-page and new entries, though I rarely do anything in "the scene" anymore for time reasons in real life
  • Understanding what constitutes computer history, how things were made, looking "behind the curtains" and seeing things barely anybody ever saw. Kind of like urban exploring or diving in unknown underwater-structures, but from the comfort of my home.
  • Toying around until it works. I love doing this. Working on something with minimal information and get it to work somehow. The way to do that is to fully understand something (like https://longhorn.ms/revisiting-the-onli ... int-wizard melcher did there) up to the point of not needing any documentation (because there isn't one) and being able to manipulate it. I love this in programming, I love this with my attempts with micro-electronics and in many other things where this occurs. (Right now, I'm working on a peace of hospital equipment only documented in non-copy-paste-japanese of which I don't speak a single word, so practically there isn't any documentation, but fiddling around and getting something to work is the best feeling I've ever experienced with tech products, because when you've done it, you understand this one thing and from there on many, many different things with similiar problems.)

And fourth, I've been an avid linux user for like 10 years now and for everyday-purposes I always have problems going back to Windows for some reasons. When getting used to programming (with perl, the bash, zsh, ... etc.) life is so much easier on Linux. But still, all of this windows-related knowledge always helps out. For example, in the place I work in I develop neural networks for super computer clusters on Linux. But when a colleague asked me if I knew a way of removing the Windows user password for one of his machines that he forgot about, it was no problem and done in seconds with some obscure command-line-stuff (replacing the utilman.exe with the cmd.exe to be exact) that nobody comes up with without background knowledge of how this all works that, when gained, seemed to be completely useless. So from my experiences, anything that seems to be "obscure" knowledge about "things nobody needs" proves useful again and again. This, as an extra note, got me to philosophy too (which is a really useful tool!), or to mathematics, or physics, or all of this other "nerd stuff".

Dealing with betas tells this exact thing for me. It's discovering stuff, like an archaelogist. Discovering something that was unknown to even us experts before is like stepping into tutanchamuns grave for the very first time since like 5000 years or something and figuring out what it all means. And using that stuff, using the earned knowledge in every kind of way, without ever leaving the comfort zone of my house.

Can you relate to this? What are your thoughts on this? What are the reasons you do that, even to the extent of PTL here ( viewtopic.php?t=39054 ), that would easily scare up nearly every other computer user of the world.

One closing thought:

If everything was leaked and known, nothing would be known. Nobody would care, since it wouldn't be a mystery and that is what makes it interesting. Nobody would care for it if it were no mystery, and that's why unleaked builds (that still have a spark of "mysticism" around them), I believe, are of great help to this community. If everything was readily available, nothing would be downloaded & archived. (Still, I hope for some earlier or obscure longhorns to get leaked, and would readily take the time to install and review them thoroughly :beta: :D )

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The psychology of collecting and preserving things        Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:37 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE
Agreed. My work makes me “make things work” which is good, although even the people I work with think I’m mad for collecting old software and hardware and they’re in the I.T. business!

My other reason is for nostalgia - nothing like hearing Tada play when Windows 3.1 starts up and remembering a simpler life.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The psychology of collecting and preserving things        Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:31 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
I agree with both of you. I want to add some side thing to the point of "doing unneeded stuff".

Keep one thing in mind: we have today's "everyday computing" for about last 25-30 years. Many (or maybe even most) people still don't see computers as important component of our existence - for them it's just a tool like hammer or car.

But we, people who treat computers as extensions of ourselves, know that computers and computer-related topics in very short time became one of the most important things on the face of planet Earth. For us it is obvious that the majority of people are affected by computers/software/electronics every single day. Computers are the core of our life - for the good and for the bad, even if not so many people really see it that way. But when computers go dawn or there are some security-related issues, then the real problem begins.

It's hard for me to even discuss such things in everyday life. I live in a country where computers are seen as "unneeded cost", some "add-on". It is really hard to tell people about really basic stuff (like backup or the need of Active Directory in a company) - obviously without place for some advanced things. This really makes me sad as it makes the development of people like us much harder. There are sys- net- and security-admins with 15+ years of experience and MSc in computer science who are unemployed and nobody wants to talk with them.

Anyway: don't listen to the common man. They will not help you as they mostly don't know what you are talking about. Do what YOU want to do - only that way you can be really happy and fulfilled.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The psychology of collecting and preserving things        Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:06 pm 
Donator

Same reason people restore classic cars and collect them - nothing new really. Just a different way of doing it.

A lot of people buy for a nostalgic trip - my garage contains cars I raced on Gran Turismo and my old 90s gaming PCs...

Top  Profile  WWW