BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 55d, 14h, 29m | CPU: 14% | MEM: 6207MB of 10932MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: BETA 2003 XBOX Images        Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:27 pm 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 10.4.11 PPC
I found this images at jonathankay.com.
Apparently this is a beta XBOX with a beta of Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO
Front Xbox : https://www.jonathankay.com/imagery/ima ... taxbox.jpg
Back : https://www.jonathankay.com/imagery/ima ... axbox2.jpg
The pictures are over 15yr old. But he is still active at messengergeek.com :$

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BETA 2003 XBOX Images        Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:04 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Just a regular Xbox Debug Kit that's usually sent out to game studios. They contain special firmware made specifically for developing games on the Xbox. There seems to be a sticker on front in the image, this is how they normally look like.

If you're lucky, you can find plenty of these on Ebay, but from what I hear, they're not too different from retail consoles asides from some increased specs like more RAM. I've also heard of people just installing dev kit firmware on modded retail Xboxes but I can't confirm this since I do not own an Xbox.

Thank you for your attention!

Site.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BETA 2003 XBOX Images        Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Edness wrote:
I've also heard of people just installing dev kit firmware on modded retail Xboxes but I can't confirm this since I do not own an Xbox.

Knowing a thing or two about Xbox modding, I can confirm that. Also, other than the 1.6 version of the Xbox motherboard, all motherboards still have the pads for the extra 64MB of RAM, so populating those with the appropriate RAM chips can bring it up to spec with an Xbox Dev Kit too. But then the Xbox is very much PC-like inside, because the CPU is also a laptop-style Intel processor of that era. It can even be upgraded to a faster Pentium III laptop CPU by hot air soldering, and some companies even did upgrades to full Tualatin desktop CPUs with a custom adapter PCB board.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BETA 2003 XBOX Images        Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:36 am 

So are the actual beta machines are the units with devkit stickers and clear cases, or did the debug kits come before? Or were they released at the same time?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BETA 2003 XBOX Images        Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:26 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
MrBurgerKing wrote:
So are the actual beta machines are the units with devkit stickers and clear cases, or did the debug kits come before? Or were they released at the same time?

I'm slightly confused what you're trying to say, but this is just a regular Xbox dev debug kit that was produced during the lifespan of the Xbox. Dev kits apparently looked like this. Again, I'm not an expert on Xboxes, I grew up with team blue - the PS2 :P

Though, before the Xbox was released and they didn't have a finalized design, there were these PC-like kits used (Called the Xbox Alpha tower)
The same story goes to the PS2 and other consoles - they initially have vastly different devkits before the console's initial release to make launch titles for and after launch, the dev kits more or less will resemble the retail console.

Site.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: BETA 2003 XBOX Images        Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:45 am 

Sorry, I meant to ask if the debug kits were pre or post devkit and retail, and if they could be considered 'betas' of the Origional Xbox.
Even though the pictured console has a standard debug kit case and label, could the beta asset tag on the front mean it's special? Maybe it's a beta of a debug kit? Or does it just mean the machine is used to test beta software like all of the other ones?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: BETA 2003 XBOX Images        Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:01 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
MrBurgerKing wrote:
Sorry, I meant to ask if the debug kits were pre or post devkit and retail, and if they could be considered 'betas' of the Origional Xbox.
Even though the pictured console has a standard debug kit case and label, could the beta asset tag on the front mean it's special? Maybe it's a beta of a debug kit? Or does it just mean the machine is used to test beta software like all of the other ones?

As far as I'm aware, Debug and Development were made at the same time. I think the sticker is there just because someone felt like it or maybe because it was to mark which kit had a Beta build of some game, who knows. I know that the PS2 has TOOL kits that have development software and TEST kits that are more or less retail consoles that can read burnt discs and without regionlocking, made to test game builds. Most likely it's the same situation here with the Xbox. The Xbox Alpha tower could be the only thing considered as a "Beta Xbox", I've heard it can contain some information of early Xbox software that others can use to help developing emulators etc. Though only like 50 units of this were ever made

Site.

Top  Profile  WWW