Make OS 9 Installer boot off HDD ?

Discuss System 1 to System 7, OS 8, OS 9.
YoshiFan111
FTP Access

Make OS 9 Installer boot off HDD ?

Post by YoshiFan111 »

Hello,

So, i've recently took apart my old iMac G3's HDD... The point of this is that I want to see if I put the OS 9 Installer files on the HDD, will it boot off of it and be ready to install ???

(Also, I DO NOT own an OS 9 install CD)

Thanks,
YoshiFan111
inactive account
i die of cringe everytime i look at my old 2018 posts

Ghast
FTP Access

Re: Make OS 9 Installer boot off HDD ?

Post by Ghast »

It might boot, since the system folder is there... installing on the same drive as the installer might prove to be a bit harder though. It's been a while since I've done something like that :P

louisw3
FTP Access

Post by louisw3 »

The installer doesn't like to be on read write disks, and will just shut down.

It would probably be easier to use Qemu to install 9.1 onto the disk
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

rbshep

Post by rbshep »

The installer doesn't like to be on read write disks, and will just shut down.
It's certainly true that the System on the install discs will refuse to boot on a read-write volume. However i'm not so sure about the installer itself. I've booted from read/write volumes before, and then ran the installer - however it was on a read-only disc image at the time.

The physical drive itself will need to be partitioned - Mac OS Classic requires that the hard drive have 'driver' and 'patch' partitions - and these are difficult to create outside of a Mac OS environment.

So you probably would be better off attaching the drive to your PC, and attaching it to QEMU as a raw disk. Then booting from the OS9 CD or ISO and initialising the drive with 'Drive Setup'.

This is how I would do it on Linux:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99 -m 512 \
	-drive format=raw,file=/dev/sdb,index=0,media=disk \
	-drive format=raw,file=/dev/sr0,index=2,media=cdrom \
	-netdev user,id=mynet0 \
	-device sungem,netdev=mynet0
Make sure you specify the correct drives! /dev/sdb in this example is the physical hard drive, and /dev/sr0 the optical drive. Use the 'lsblk' command to determine the correct device.

You can substitute /dev/sr0 for the full path to an ISO, cdr or toast file (which contains Mac OS 9 driver partitions) if you aren't using a physical CD.

You would also need to sudo chmod 666 /dev/sdb in the above example in order to run this command as a regular user.

Neptruo314
FTP Access

Post by Neptruo314 »

Just saying, Mac OS installers don't like to be on RW hard drives.
Offtopic Comment
Wouldn't it be easier to burn a CD with the OS9 installer using an external program?
Though, if it was possible, I would use rbshep's guide.
Image Media Center for Windows XP requires you to purchase MCE edition. Or alternatively just get an unofficial hybrid of Pro and MCE.