BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 10h, 23m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 5157MB of 11281MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Monero Mining for BetaArchive?        Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:34 pm 
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:49 pm

Posts
71

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 WMC
As Andy and Mr.pijey reiterate quite often, BetaArchive is a site funded purely by donations and out of the administrator's wallets. Would it be a good idea to mine Monero(XMR) for BetaArchive?

Monero has some benefits:
  • Monero is easily mined by both CPUs and GPUs, so it doesn't require a large GPU farm to be profitable. A standard home or office PC can mine reasonably fast
  • Monero can be mined within the web browser through Coinhive
  • It is extremely easy to set up mining with tools such as xmr-stak, ccminer, and wolf's miner
  • Monero is privacy focused, hence it will be reasonably hard to trace it back to a person

Please give feedback on my idea.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Monero Mining for BetaArchive?        Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:23 am 
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:39 pm

Posts
180

Location
Somewhere in QEMU

Favourite OS
Millennium 2358, Longhorn 3713
I don't think cryptomining is a good idea, since anti-viruses such as MalwareBytes considers most types of cryptomining of any kind to be malware-related, and thus could bring us more trouble.

Offtopic Comment
This brings me back to this ridiculously funny post.

_________________
Image

BetaWiki contributor.


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Monero Mining for BetaArchive?        Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:27 am 
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Posts
2038

Location
Czechia
This isn't a bad idea, but if ever implemented, it shouldn't be enabled without the user's explicit consent.

_________________
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Monero Mining for BetaArchive?        Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:32 am 
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:16 pm

Posts
46

Location
Czech Republic

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
It should be optional however i will enable it. Good idea (but user must be notified and it must be optional)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Monero Mining for BetaArchive?        Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:39 am 
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Posts
8030
Monero, or any crypto currency is only good if it can be exchanged for a real currency, which is what the hosting company or hardware company accepts. Until then it's worth nothing. So it would not help our funding unless we could immediately exchange it for real money, which we could of course but why the hassle and not just donate in real money directly?

Coinhive and most alternatives are all flagged by basically every antivirus and antiadware software as adware, and would seriously damage BetaArchive by getting us flagged as an adware site.

But sure, we would accept Monero, bitcoin etc as donations but it won't help directly unless the donations are in dollars, euro or whatever real currency you choose as that's what the companies want from us to keep the service running. So I am sorry, but it's NOT a good idea to get BetaArchive flagged as an adware site using unwanted and potentially intrusive and damaging scripts. So if you want to donate then there are a million other ways to do that directly without causing us further issues.

_________________
Image
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Tools: Alcohol120% (Portable) :: DiscImageCreator
Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Monero Mining for BetaArchive?        Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:47 pm 
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:49 pm

Posts
71

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 WMC
mrpijey wrote:
Monero, or any crypto currency is only good if it can be exchanged for a real currency, which is what the hosting company or hardware company accepts. Until then it's worth nothing. So it would not help our funding unless we could immediately exchange it for real money, which we could of course but why the hassle and not just donate in real money directly?
I would like to highlight your point of, "Why... not just donate real money directly?" Much of BetaArchive is made up of people who are under 18, many of which do not have the ability to directly send money over the internet, whether it be due to parental restrictions or whatever. CPU and GPU mining allows these people to leverage their computers to support the forum, even if they cannot directly donate.

mrpijey wrote:
Coinhive and most alternatives are all flagged by basically every antivirus and antiadware software as adware, and would seriously damage BetaArchive by getting us flagged as an adware site.
I am not really sure how antiviruses and adblocking works, so correct me if I am wrong. But would it not be possible to set up a sub-domain(ex. mine.betaarchive.co.uk) for mining? This would make it opt-in, and I believe the reason for site blacklisting by search engines and web browsers is mining in which one cannot opt out. If anyone would like to mine, they just go to that webpage and disable their adblocker.

mrpijey wrote:
But sure, we would accept Monero, bitcoin etc as donations but it won't help directly unless the donations are in dollars, euro or whatever real currency you choose as that's what the companies want from us to keep the service running.
There are several exchanges for XMR, including but not limited to:


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Monero Mining for BetaArchive?        Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:56 pm 
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:39 pm

Posts
180

Location
Somewhere in QEMU

Favourite OS
Millennium 2358, Longhorn 3713
awesomeguy wrote:
I would like to highlight your point of, "Why... not just donate real money directly?" Much of BetaArchive is made up of people who are under 18, many of which do not have the ability to directly send money over the internet, whether it be due to parental restrictions or whatever. CPU and GPU mining allows these people to leverage their computers to support the forum, even if they cannot directly donate.


So you're saying that BetaArchive gets money if people spends more on computers because cryptomining reduced the lifespan of their computer? Sure, that will definitely earn them money very quickly...

awesomeguy wrote:
I am not really sure how antiviruses and adblocking works, so correct me if I am wrong. But would it not be possible to set up a sub-domain(ex. mine.betaarchive.co.uk) for mining? This would make it opt-in, and I believe the reason for site blacklisting by search engines and web browsers is mining in which one cannot opt out. If anyone would like to mine, they just go to that webpage and disable their adblocker.


I'm pretty sure that even if a subdomain is made, such effort to make them is hard and would likely get the main site in trouble anyways.

awesomeguy wrote:
There are several exchanges for XMR, including but not limited to:


Those looks a little shoddy/shady in my opinion (like most MDR to ISO converters that does not require admin rights).

_________________
Image

BetaWiki contributor.


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Monero Mining for BetaArchive?        Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:37 pm 
Administrator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Posts
8030
awesomeguy wrote:
I would like to highlight your point of, "Why... not just donate real money directly?" Much of BetaArchive is made up of people who are under 18, many of which do not have the ability to directly send money over the internet, whether it be due to parental restrictions or whatever. CPU and GPU mining allows these people to leverage their computers to support the forum, even if they cannot directly donate.

That is true, but it's not a good enough reason to force (for the general public) unwanted and potentially harmful behavior from our website. If underage members really want to donate they can surely find other ways to donate, and we'll be more than happy to explain our situation to parents, elder brothers, friends etc. In the end it will be up to the user to find a way to donate, be it in dollars, euros, bitcoin or sacks of potatoes, but we will not force a "donation" by having harmful scripts on our website, forcefully or by choice. If anyone wants to contribute in other ways, like software, hardware, services etc then get in touch with us and we'll see what we can do. Members have in the past donated harddrives, software licenses and access to paid software repositories which is just as helpful to the community.

awesomeguy wrote:
I am not really sure how antiviruses and adblocking works, so correct me if I am wrong. But would it not be possible to set up a sub-domain(ex. mine.betaarchive.co.uk) for mining? This would make it opt-in, and I believe the reason for site blacklisting by search engines and web browsers is mining in which one cannot opt out. If anyone would like to mine, they just go to that webpage and disable their adblocker.

So why can't these users just setup local miners on their computers and then donate their mined currency? Should be far easier, and then people can do it selectively rather than being forced by us. If anyone wants to donate bitcoin, monero or any other currency just contact us, I got wallets in most major crypto currencies.

awesomeguy wrote:
There are several exchanges for XMR, including but not limited to:

Yes I am aware of them, doesn't mean it's cheap, easy or worthwhile for small amounts. But if members choose to donate in crypto currencies then we will find a way to exchange it to a usable currency of course.

_________________
Image
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Tools: Alcohol120% (Portable) :: DiscImageCreator
Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter


Top  Profile  WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2020

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS