BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 8h, 18m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 6094MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:16 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Hi all

Just a quick post to let you all know that BA will be moving to a new server soon which will hopefully improve performance a little, but mainly it will allow us to update to the newest operating system and software versions.

There should be no difference for you guys except maybe the site will respond a little better.

Specs for those interested:

Intel Core i7-7700 quad core with HT
32GB DDR4
2x500GB SSD
1Gbps

The system will be virtualised to make future restoration and migrations easier, and BA will be set up on its own virtual machine away from anything else.

This is currently being set up and I will post another topic when we're ready to move over, as there will be a small amount of downtime whilst the transfer is made.

Andy (Admin)

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Chad Edition/macOS Chad

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:25 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Sigh.......

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:47 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64 SP1 (7601)
I didn't know that the i7 7700 supported DDR3 RAM still.

Anyways, hope the upgrade goes smoothly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:51 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
DarkenMoon wrote:
I didn't know that the i7 7700 supported DDR3 RAM still.

Anyways, hope the upgrade goes smoothly.

DDR3L/DDR4.

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64 SP1 (7601)
Gnome wrote:
DDR3L/DDR4

I would assume that DDR3L is being used over DDR4 due to how expensive DDR4 RAM is?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:16 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
DarkenMoon wrote:
Gnome wrote:
DDR3L/DDR4

I would assume that DDR3L is being used over DDR4 due to how expensive DDR4 RAM is?

That is correct.

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:52 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Actually it's DDR4, my bad.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS/2 Warp 4 (14.098b_W4)
soulman wrote:

tbh even vmware is rubbish. we should just be using a real server like god intended, none of this x86 consumer tier garbage.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:47 am 
Administrator

Yeah it's rubbish, that's why virtualisation is so hot and more or less every mid-size to larger companies uses it, and why VMWare is the largest VM software provider...

FYI, We're not using VMWare but Hyper-V, and try to run two server OSes at the same time on a single server without virtualisation...

Either way, virtualisation is the way for us to go to provide better performance and stability, and also to make it easier for migration, upgrades (no need to reinstall server, just reinstall host OS and add the backed up VM) and scalability.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
compgeke wrote:
soulman wrote:

tbh even vmware is rubbish. we should just be using a real server like god intended, none of this x86 consumer tier garbage.

Yeah I think we should just replace the BA server with magnetic tape drives and CompuServe systems. /s

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:09 pm 
Donator

It's more than obvious that the best future-proof solution for the BA server is this:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:02 pm 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
7601 SP1
How can you fit your FTP collection into those SSD's?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:13 pm 
FTP Access

Probably only the forum. Also what SSD model are those?
Offtopic Comment
TBH I doubt an i7 7700 is futureproof even for a smalll server, when Ryzen is here and is considerably cheaper(and coffeelake coming).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:28 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Only the website runs on this, the data is stored elsewhere.

The i7-7700 is considerably cheaper than a Ryzen for the same performance right now. Getting a Ryzen server with the current host was €10+VAT more. In any case, we don't need the performance. We use up <30% of the server resources on average.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
Andy wrote:
Only the website runs on this, the data is stored elsewhere.

The i7-7700 is considerably cheaper than a Ryzen for the same performance right now. Getting a Ryzen server with the current host was €10+VAT more. In any case, we don't need the performance. We use up <30% of the server resources on average.

Offtopic Comment
less than 30% not love 0%. BA emoji system FTW

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
ovctvct wrote:
Offtopic Comment
TBH I doubt an i7 7700 is futureproof even for a smalll server, when Ryzen is here and is considerably cheaper(and coffeelake coming).

Considering that their current CPU (7 year old i7) only gets up to %~30 usage averagely, I think a 7700 will be juuuuust fine for the next years.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: New Server - Coming Soon        Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:36 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
FWIW, I'm a big fan of using Hyper-V for virtualization of Windows server. I just completed a deployment of two new HP ML350's decked out with SAS drives, running Server 2016 and two virtualized instances of server on top of it, hosting AD and QuickBooks services. I replicated the configuration for another office of ours, and really couldn't be happier with the setup. Hyper-V is great when it comes to backup, too - live shadow copies are a godsend. I did the cost analysis versus using VMWare, and it would have cost some astronomical amount of money to go that route, with little to no gain in performance. It's obvious how much work Microsoft has put in to make Hyper-V a good, efficient virtualizer - especially on Server 2016.

In another project, which I started with the technical previews of Server 2016 and Hyper-V, I virtualized engineering CAD software on top of another HP DL380 equipped with a (crappy by today's standards) FirePro S7000 video card. GPU-virtualization on Hyper-V is yet another godsend. It just works.

I evaluated other solutions, but ultimately decided on using the built-in tech that Microsoft includes, and honestly, I'm happy enough with the solution. Granted, spinning up new instances or clones of virtual machines can take more than 5 minutes to perform, but for my business uses, it's enough.

Congrats on the new server!

Top  Profile  WWW