BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 5h, 56m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 5290MB of 11398MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:06 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Win3.0 prerelease, Win8 Pre-8102
Basically, it's (already-small) usage share is plummeting and i haven't seen anyone with a WP8/10 based device for ages.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:30 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3 - Windows 98 SE
I do agree with you. I have used a Lumia running Windows Phone 8.1 for about two days, before (fortunately...) reverting to my Android device.

The primary reason for such a failure is a complicated UI – in the first place, I feel that the concept of a tiled menu is more geared towards PCs; secondly, customising the phone is much of a pain in the neck. You have to go deep in the settings, and – in my own experience – you simply Lose Yourself(TM). Ultimately, the Store is so poor... As far as I know and have used Windows Phone, the Store offers one third of the applications available in, say, Google Play or App Store. That might sound obvious... It doesn't to me.

I strongly believe that a successful operating system must nowadays satisfy all of these three points:

1. Decent user interface (which Windows Phone lacks)
    2. Feature set comparable to the two main competitors (which Windows Phone has got)
    3. A rich Store (missing in Windows Phone)

If points 1 and 3 - or all - are not satisfied, an operating system will never really compete against Android and iOS, and is condemned to vanish. Just like Windows Phone.

Win7

Offtopic Comment
Funny fact: The aforementioned Lumia isn't actually mine. My father gave it up to me, as he literally couldn't get a thing out of it (he would have used it to work). He stayed on his old phone, as I chose to do a few days later...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:46 pm 
FTP Access

I have a Lumia 450 updated to Windows 10 Mobile, and I agree with you. Windows Phone 8.1 was a good OS, which provided me and many others a smooth user experience. The user interface was good, intuitive and unified. Basically every app had the same style, and that made the OS look organized and better. But, it looks like Microsoft brought this on itself. First, they started with stupid things like removing some great WP apps like Food & Drink, Travel and Health and Fitness. Now, the new Windows 10 Mobile OS kinda sucks, the user experience is bad, there's no unified user interface, and the lack of UI consistency really hurts, me and lots of other people. I mean, every app has its own hamburger menu style, its own font style, its own bottom toolbar style, some apps splash screen change its color based on the accent color that you choose, some others don't. Sometimes icons disappear from their tiles without a reason. The Windows Store, in my Lumia, never loads any images. All these little things really damage the user experience and makes me feel I have an unfinished OS, which was done pretty bad and quickly. Infact, besides all that stuff I've said before, the OS is buggy, even with the latest release, although it's a bit better than the first Windows 10 Mobile release. I go through stupid graphics bugs, misplaced items, apps crash randomly without a reason, freezes and so on. So, in my opinion, Windows 10 Mobile has a bad user interface and is still buggy. Even the apps themselves are bad quality apps, compared to those that were in Windows Phone 8.1. Especially the Calendar and Mail app. Their interface is terrible and is very far from intuitive. Moreover, most of the apps in the Store are useless, and the important ones that are there, such as WhatsApp, Facebook, Messenger etc. are very bad, not to mention that the latest two are a quick, heavy and bad done porting from their iOS counterparts. And Microsoft is still keeping to remove features from its OS, such as the FM Radio, which could still be useful to many people. What to say... Windows 10 Mobile and Microsoft nonsense attitude killed Windows Phones :(

Here there are some pics that show how bad the Windows 10 Mobile UI is... take a look for example at the Windows Store updates picture, that's an example of the very far from intuitive interface I said before... is it necessary for the download bar to take all that space? Or are all those lines and big fonts necessary? The Windows Store updates page is so damn long in my phone... and it's very, very ugly! Or take a look at the Outlook app settings... seriously? Everyone could have done better graphics!

ImageImageImageImage

Last edited by Valerio on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
the Unices and linuces.
Yeah. WinMobile has been dead for years..... I had a lumia once. I went back to my Nokia N97... I had a better experience with a first generation iPhone, which at the time didn't fully support copy/paste, than WinMobile 8.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:01 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
Valerio wrote:
I have a Lumia 450 updated to Windows 10 Mobile, and I agree with you. Windows Phone 8.1 was a good OS, which provided me and many others a smooth user experience. The user interface was good, intuitive and unified. Basically every app had the same style, and that makes the OS look organized and better. But, it looks like Microsoft brought this on itself. First, they started with stupid things like removing some great WP apps like Food & Drink, Travler and Healt and Fitness. Then, the new Windows 10 Mobile OS kinda sucks, the user experience is bad, there's no unified user interface, and the lack of UI consistency really hurts, me and lots of other people. I mean, every app has its own hamburger menu style, its own font style, its own bottom toolbar style, some apps splash screen change its color based on the accent color that you choose, some others don't. Sometimes icons disappears from their tiles without a reason. The Windows Store, in my Lumia, never loads any images. All these little things really damage the user experience and makes me feel I have an unfinished OS, which was done pretty bad and quickly. Because, besides all that stuff I've said before, the OS is buggy, even with the latest release, although it's a bit better than the first W10M release. I go through stupid graphics bugs, misplaced items, app crashes randomly without a reason, freezes and so on. So, in my opinion, Windows 10 Mobile has a bad user interface and is still buggy. Even the app themselves are bad quality apps, compared to those that were in Windows Phone 8.1. Especially the Calendar and Mail app. Their interface is terrible and is very far from intuitive. And, most of the apps in the Store are useless, and the important ones that are there, such as WhatsApp, Facebook, Messenger etc. are very bad, considering that the latest two are a quick, heavy and bad porting from their iOS counterparts. Not to mention that Microsoft is still removing features from its OS, such as the FM Radio which could still be useful to many people. What to say... Windows 10 Mobile and Microsoft dumb attitude killed Windows Phones :(

I agree with you 100% Valerio. For a while last year, my main phone was a Lumia 640, and I loved it when it was on Windows Phone 8.1. But, how Microsoft executed Windows 10 Mobile's launch and how buggy and poorly designed the OS is what ultimately made me switch back to iOS. Cortana taking several seconds to launch, apps not updating, bugs all over the place, you name it. Windows 10 Mobile is a piece of crap which killed any remaining potential that Windows Phone had.

I have a saying: Let's say that you have a OS which not a lot of people use, but the ones who do think that it's one of the best. If you make a new version of that OS which is SO BAD, it drives off any cult following that you had, you fail as a OS maker.

Last edited by Windows OS on Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:49 pm 
FTP Access

@WindowsOS: Yeah, I agree with you... infact, I thought that lately Microsoft did an huge step backwards in OSes development with Windows 10, not only with the mobile version, but also with the desktop version... although the desktop version looks way more better than its mobile counterpart, it still doesn't have the quality that products such as Windows XP or Windows 7 had when they were released. Windows 10 has certainly improved a lot since the build 10240 release, but the quality of the OS itself and of the Universal Apps still doesn't match the one of Windows 7 and the classic Win32 apps. So, I think that Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1 are the last really good Microsoft OSes. After these they did many stupid things and mistakes in my opinion.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:11 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
the Unices and linuces.
Windows OS wrote:
I agree with you 100% Valerio. For a while last year, my main phone was a Lumia 640, and I loved it when it was on Windows Phone 8.1. But, how Microsoft executed Windows 10's launch and how buggy and poorly designed the OS is what ultimately made me switch back to iOS. Cortana taking several seconds to launch, apps not updating, bugs all over the place, you name it. Windows 10 Mobile is a piece of crap which killed any remaining potential that Windows Phone had.

I have a saying: Let's say that you have a OS which not a lot of people use, but the ones who do think that it's one of the best. If you make a new version of that OS which is SO BAD, it drives off any cult following that you had, you fail as a OS maker.

Blackberry?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:34 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.5.8
I beg to differ, It may be dead for the average phone user, but for someone who just needs a phone for basics such as calling or texting, checking e-mails and social media, and getting directions through map, It should suffice; some of my family members still have Windows phones; My mom has a Nokia Lumia phone that runs Windows 10 and she uses mainly uses her phone for nothing more than the basic tasks I've mentioned above, and my dad and my older brother now have iPhones (mainly so they could play Pokemon Go), but they still use their Windows Phones as backups, my dad mainly uses his as a GPS for his car.

So Windows Phone can still be useful to someone who only uses their phone once in a while for the basics, while the average social media addict may not see a point since they'd prefer to use iPhones and Android phones when those two platforms have a higher market share, hence why you don't see as much apps on WP10 compared to iOS and Android.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:42 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows xp sp3, windows 2000 sp4
I do agree that windows phone is dead. I only see very few people have windows phone, which I only saw 2 have a lumia phone. I do remember that I had a windows phone that is a Nokia lumia 530 from early 2016-late 2016, but I had to quit using windows phone and move on to iPhone 5s in September because the ui isn't good, the lock screen is boring and there are no widgets or themes, a lot of apps are paid and are low quality, the battery life on my lumia is bad and drains a lot after not using it for 5 hours, and my lumia was the same size as an iPhone 4s and way clunker than my iPhone. Also, my lumia had a plastic back cover which could break easily. Also, windows phone software (windows phone 8.1 current on mines) take forever to load. And yes, there are no phone cases for my kind of lumia phone.

From 1-10, I rate the windows phone a 2.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:36 am 

Favourite OS
Windows xp sp3, windows 2000 sp4
Valerio wrote:
I have a Lumia 450 updated to Windows 10 Mobile, and I agree with you. Windows Phone 8.1 was a good OS, which provided me and many others a smooth user experience. The user interface was good, intuitive and unified. Basically every app had the same style, and that made the OS look organized and better. But, it looks like Microsoft brought this on itself. First, they started with stupid things like removing some great WP apps like Food & Drink, Travel and Health and Fitness. Now, the new Windows 10 Mobile OS kinda sucks, the user experience is bad, there's no unified user interface, and the lack of UI consistency really hurts, me and lots of other people. I mean, every app has its own hamburger menu style, its own font style, its own bottom toolbar style, some apps splash screen change its color based on the accent color that you choose, some others don't. Sometimes icons disappear from their tiles without a reason. The Windows Store, in my Lumia, never loads any images. All these little things really damage the user experience and makes me feel I have an unfinished OS, which was done pretty bad and quickly. Infact, besides all that stuff I've said before, the OS is buggy, even with the latest release, although it's a bit better than the first Windows 10 Mobile release. I go through stupid graphics bugs, misplaced items, apps crash randomly without a reason, freezes and so on. So, in my opinion, Windows 10 Mobile has a bad user interface and is still buggy. Even the apps themselves are bad quality apps, compared to those that were in Windows Phone 8.1. Especially the Calendar and Mail app. Their interface is terrible and is very far from intuitive. Moreover, most of the apps in the Store are useless, and the important ones that are there, such as WhatsApp, Facebook, Messenger etc. are very bad, not to mention that the latest two are a quick, heavy and bad done porting from their iOS counterparts. And Microsoft is still keeping to remove features from its OS, such as the FM Radio, which could still be useful to many people. What to say... Windows 10 Mobile and Microsoft nonsense attitude killed Windows Phones :(

Here there are some pics that show how bad the Windows 10 Mobile UI is... take a look for example at the Windows Store updates picture, that's an example of the very far from intuitive interface I said before... is it necessary for the download bar to take all that space? Or are all those lines and big fonts necessary? The Windows Store updates page is so damn long in my phone... and it's very, very ugly! Or take a look at the Outlook app settings... seriously? Everyone could have done better graphics!

ImageImageImageImage

Of course I also agree with you, Valerio. When I went to the windows store app on my old lumia 530, the place where you update your apps is so cluttering! The button that leads to the app updates page is just a small, colored tab with a number on it. Bummer, I also didn't know where I could update my apps before I saw the small tab with a number on it when I was in the windows store!

Second of all, I agree over how Microsoft kept removing wp apps. I found out that Microsoft removed my favorite ringtone maker app a few days after I installed it! I think Microsoft removed several apps after a while because of a few reasons:

1. The unpopularity. Some people didn't want to install it because on how it's poorly made, including on lack of features.

2. Too many paid in app purchases. In many apps, it is so costly to install it, including the poor quality ones! I once had a photo editing app and I could tell that it had too many in app purchases and it makes me feel bad for my lumia.

So, in my opinion, I think that the Windows phone is sorta for just basic use, like web browsing, check email, call and text, and yeah, for the budget person.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:04 pm 
Donator

Honestly I think the biggest issues with newer phone platforms in general, including Windows Phone, is the chicken and egg problem of people aren't going to go to a platform that doesn't have all the apps they require, and app developers don't want to develop apps for a platform that holds a very small marketshare. If Microsoft had somehow been able to attract more developers to the store, I don't think it would've bombed as hard.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:30 pm 
Permanently Banned

I don't think it can be dead given the common codebase, even if its not in wide scale use there will always be a group at Microsoft keeping it ticking over and waiting for an opportunity. I despise Apple and Google. If I can browse the internet and grab my e-mail from my Windows Phones then I am happy. The rest of the app rubbish that the likes of Apple and Google cling to is nothing more than a battery drainer for me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
4512jth wrote:
Honestly I think the biggest issues with newer phone platforms in general, including Windows Phone, is the chicken and egg problem of people aren't going to go to a platform that doesn't have all the apps they require, and app developers don't want to develop apps for a platform that holds a very small marketshare. If Microsoft had somehow been able to attract more developers to the store, I don't think it would've bombed as hard.
This.

I use a Lumia 950, and have done now for about six months. Before then I used a 535 for 18 months. I use its features (especially Continuum) quite extensively for work and gaming, and generally think it's a much better device and OS than people give it credit for. The main problems that prevent most people from taking it seriously are that:
(1) Windows Phone/Mobile always had a bad reputation, right from the early days; and
(2) The "chicken-and-egg" situation 4512jth described above.

As an OS, W10 Mobile is awesome. As a phone, the Lumia 950 is awesome. Together, they're awesome, but people simply won't give up Snapchat and Candy Crush. Since most people just want those, they won't migrate to what is a much cleaner, more stable/secure, and even cheaper device.

The price is another thing that makes me laugh. I was at a friend's place on Thursday, and we were talking phones at one point. She's got a Galaxy S7, which she said would have cost about £600 if she'd bought it rather than getting it on a contract. My L950 cost £260, outright, and has higher spec than her phone in every single way except the RAM.

ACM-2017 wrote:
I don't think it can be dead given the common codebase, even if its not in wide scale use there will always be a group at Microsoft keeping it ticking over and waiting for an opportunity. I despise Apple and Google. If I can browse the internet and grab my e-mail from my Windows Phones then I am happy. The rest of the app rubbish that the likes of Apple and Google cling to is nothing more than a battery drainer for me.
Also this. I like a clean environment for what I'm doing, which I never had on Android.

I'm still thinking there's going to be a ****storm if Windows on ARM goes anywhere and gets a phone stack. I seriously think this is where W10 Mobile is going, and if it does I will totally buy into it. £250-300 for a phone, £500-700 for a laptop - if I could have a phone for the price of a laptop (or maybe a little more) that does both, I absolutely would.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
4512jth wrote:

Yes but at a certain point Windows Phone/10 Mobile was gaining market share.
Then MS gave up on making new phones, and people started losing interest in the platform.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Tootles wrote:
I'm still thinking there's going to be a ****storm if Windows on ARM goes anywhere and gets a phone stack. I seriously think this is where W10 Mobile is going, and if it does I will totally buy into it. £250-300 for a phone, £500-700 for a laptop - if I could have a phone for the price of a laptop (or maybe a little more) that does both, I absolutely would.

This is the current meme amongst the remaining Windows Mobile faithful, but it's just an awful, awful idea.

It sounds nice in theory, but then you realise you're putting a much heavier OS on much lower-power hardware than it's suited to, with all sorts of compromise and legacy cruft that you don't need. You could remove all that cruft, but then what are you left with? A mildly refreshed W10M anyway, which the market has already rejected wholesale.

//build/ pretty much gave it away this year that Microsoft is no longer interested in owning the OS on Mobiles for the time being. Their interest is in seizing everything above it. All the productivity, all the cloud services, etc. They want iOS and Android developers to use Visual Studio and Xamarin, with Azure as their backend. That's proving to be a much more successful and profitable mobile strategy. Besides, their patent assault on Android has netted them far more revenue from Android than they ever pulled in with W10M. In a fit of irony, Android is by far the most profitable Mobile platform for MS.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
hounsell wrote:
This is the current meme amongst the remaining Windows Mobile faithful, but it's just an awful, awful idea.

It sounds nice in theory, but then you realise you're putting a much heavier OS on much lower-power hardware than it's suited to, with all sorts of compromise and legacy cruft that you don't need. You could remove all that cruft, but then what are you left with? A mildly refreshed W10M anyway, which the market has already rejected wholesale.

//build/ pretty much gave it away this year that Microsoft is no longer interested in owning the OS on Mobiles for the time being. Their interest is in seizing everything above it. All the productivity, all the cloud services, etc. They want iOS and Android developers to use Visual Studio and Xamarin, with Azure as their backend. That's proving to be a much more successful and profitable mobile strategy. Besides, their patent assault on Android has netted them far more revenue from Android than they ever pulled in with W10M. In a fit of irony, Android is by far the most profitable Mobile platform for MS.
Hmm. I guess I know what you mean, but surely if something like that was done, it wouldn't be a lightweight device. I'm not going to harp on the Surface Phone idea (though it'd be awesome), but I'd be assuming something more like poweruser's spec. 16GB RAM, 128-256GB SSD (expandable), discrete CPU/GPUs, large screen, proper cooling system &c. I'd rather have a 6" phablet that I can use as a desktop through Continuum than the separate phone/laptop arrangement I have now. Especially considering my phone and laptop have similar capabilities. My ideal arrangement would be WoARM phablet for phone/light desktop usage, and a total 'he's compensating for something' desktop build for VMing, crunching, and my more serious gaming.

But of course I'm probably going to be the odd one out, even among the nerds. Closest there'll be, probably, is a 6" or 7" tablet with mobile broadband, running Windows S on ARM. For which, to be fair, I'd probably still happily part with my money.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4093
Tootles wrote:
Hmm. I guess I know what you mean, but surely if something like that was done, it wouldn't be a lightweight device. I'm not going to harp on the Surface Phone idea (though it'd be awesome), but I'd be assuming something more like poweruser's spec. 16GB RAM, 128-256GB SSD (expandable), discrete CPU/GPUs, large screen, proper cooling system &c. I'd rather have a 6" phablet that I can use as a desktop through Continuum than the separate phone/laptop arrangement I have now. Especially considering my phone and laptop have similar capabilities. My ideal arrangement would be WoARM phablet for phone/light desktop usage, and a total 'he's compensating for something' desktop build for VMing, crunching, and my more serious gaming.

But of course I'm probably going to be the odd one out, even among the nerds. Closest there'll be, probably, is a 6" or 7" tablet with mobile broadband, running Windows S on ARM. For which, to be fair, I'd probably still happily part with my money.

I'm with you on this. I remember hearing a few times from some MS project leads or something that MS wouldn't be focusing on traditional phones as we know it today. A phone/phablet type thing that was capable of running full windows apps when plugged into a monitor but could also be used as a phone would be my dream come true for portability and school work. I have a fully powered workstation at home if I ever needed anything more.

I used WP up until very recently on many different phones, starting from an LG Quantum on WP 7.5 and ending with a Lumia 640 on WM 10. I can definitely say that in the end I'm really disappointed with the way the platform has gone after seeing so much potential in WP7, I can only hope all these failures and lack of communication will be for the greater good in the end.

Formerly ratsrock2323

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
7601 SP1
Windows Phone has pretty much always been dead. It doesn't have a lot of apps, which is a deal-breaker for at least 50% of people looking at the platform. Sure, it looks really nice, but functionality is way more important than the a e s t h e t i c s.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:15 am 

Favourite OS
SP3
The only way I see Windows Phone making a comeback is if Microsoft's investments in IoT (internet of things) tech works out. Basically, they want your fridge and you washing machine running Windows 10 core... Then the native apps for all your stuff will already be in their store.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:40 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune 5111
jman wrote:
The only way I see Windows Phone making a comeback is if Microsoft's investments in IoT (internet of things) tech works out. Basically, they want your fridge and you washing machine running Windows 10 core... Then the native apps for all your stuff will already be in their store.

They want everything running Windows 10. [M$TRUMP]We need to run Windows 10[/M$TRUMP]

Keep the political nonsense off these forums please. /mrp

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 3713
I think Windows Phone was a bad move for Microsoft.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:31 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3
Windows phone was considered as the best phone when it was released in late 2010.It came with Windows phone operating system 7.People liked it a lot as it had very good features and performance was outstanding as compared to the other smartphone at that time.Later Microsoft purchased Nokia and the situation got worst than ever it came with many bugs and was very laggy eg. Windows phone OS 10. :cry:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:37 pm 
FTP Access

MSUser2013 wrote:
I beg to differ, It may be dead for the average phone user, but for someone who just needs a phone for basics such as calling or texting, checking e-mails and social media, and getting directions through map, It should suffice; some of my family members still have Windows phones

Sadly it is not really enough for this anymore. Depends on the user, but here in Hungary people discard it. WP8.1 doesn't have Skype anymore, which is a great flaw for users having older, W10 incompatible model (L520 was insanely popular here). On the other hand Facebook was taken over and is no longer maintained by MS, it barely works even on W10 and is insanely slow.
IE mobile, Edge mobile is not the very best, instability of W10M is too common.

The OS is going down since 8.1 Denim to be honest. Even my BlackBerry Z10 is more usable due to the built in AlienDalvik.

So the W10M is only okay for really basic tasks, outlook calendar, browser and some remaining up-to-date apps in store. It will be as dead as Symbian soon.

MS should have spend more on supporting developers and forcing Google services to work on the phone, but that's another topic.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:23 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 6.22
In Slovenia some people will still say that Windows Phones are good phones because of Nokia legacy. About 10 years ago Nokia phones were the best phones you could get in Slovenia. But when M$ bought Nokia everything spoiled because of metro design and lack of features (many of Nokia features were forgotten by developers at M$ when they were making Windows 8). M$ tried to make Windows Phones usable again (with Windows mobile 10) but people don't trust to Windows Phones anymore. I still have my old Lumia 535 (I upgraded it to Windows mobile 10) and in comparation to Android and iOS the user interface really looks terrible. Another problem is Windows Store, because nowdays people are obsessed with installing apps and games, using social media (especially Snapchat and it is not available in Windows Store)... Windows could eventually success if the Store would be full of apps people like and use daily on other platforms. When I was choosing which phone to buy I thought that "Windows Phone" means windows explorer (at least for browsing files) and desktop. Old Windows mobile versions (prior to metro) had Windows Explorer and something that at least remotely looks like desktop. When I unpacked my Lumia and started using it I was very disappointed. Now I use iphone and even if some people have to say a lot about "overpriced" apps I must say that I am satisfied.

To wrap everything up, Windows Mobile was a good OS and Nokia phones were a big success before M$ bought Nokia. Now people hate M$ and Nokia too (even their Nokia 6 and 9 which have Android). And I think that M$ destroyed all the hard work of Nokia programmers over last years.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Phone is dead in my opinion.        Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:55 pm 

Favourite OS
Really? If iOS developers ported their apps to W10M maybe the app hell could be resolved. Windows 10 Mobile was a mess when it launched in 2015 with the Lumia 950 and 950 XL. We are still waiting for the mythical "Surface Phone"

Last edited by BetaVista on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile