BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 54d, 18h, 30m | CPU: 71% | MEM: 5999MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:33 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Windows 10 Build 14316 has been released to Insiders on the Fast ring. Lots of new features in this build.

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/717759462258249728
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/04/06/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14316

Summary of features:
• Bash on Ubuntu on Windows
• Cross-device features in Cortana
• More Edge extensions
• Skype UWP app
• Action Center improvements
• More emojis
• Dark system theme
• Connect app for using Continuum for phones with a PC
• Virtual desktop improvements
• New build update experience to match standard updates
• Updated battery saver settings and UI
• Updated Windows Update UI
• You can now comment in the Feedback Hub

Fixed issues:
Quote:
• We fixed the issue where on some PCs with TPM chips, such as the ASUS Zenbook UX31, you may have experienced glitchy audio and jumpy movement when using the trackpad due to the “tpm-maintenance” task running constantly in the background instead of once per boot-up like it should.
• We fixed the issue where if you use Hyper-V and have a Virtual Switch configured for your network adapter, you might see an error indicator (red-colored “X”) for your network adapter in the notification area of your taskbar.
• We polished the Wi-Fi flyout UI and fixed an issue where text entry into a Wi-Fi password field was noticeably top-aligned rather than centered.
• We fixed an issue for where when using multiple monitors and full-screen apps like PowerPoint or Remote Desktop would crash Windows Explorer.
• We fixed an issue where Cortana wasn’t showing Settings pages in the search results.
• We have updated the Windows Update notification after updates have been installed so now clicking on the notification will take you straight to your update history.
• We fixed an issue where desktop (Win32) apps pinned to the Start menu would sometimes move after updating to a new build.
• We fixed an issue where “Update and Restart” and “Update and Shut Down” wouldn’t start an update.

Known issues:
Quote:
• The Visual Studio emulator for Windows 10 Mobile and Hololens will fail with “An authentication error has occurred. The Local Security Authority cannot be contacted”. If you are a developer and require the emulator for building apps, we suggesting moving to the Slow ring and skipping this build until we can fix this issue.
• We continue to investigate issues with Narrator and other screen reader apps that make them unable to read selected text in the Feedback Hub, Cortana, and other apps.
• In Microsoft Edge, some large downloads may appear to get stuck at 99% completion. You can work around this issue by renaming the file in your downloads after closing Microsoft Edge. This workaround skips security checks on the file, so it should be used only with files from a trusted source.
• In some cases, attempting to turn on Developer Mode on may crash the Settings app. If this happens, the workaround is to use these steps here to enable Developer Mode.
• Some apps notifications may only show the icon – however the full text of the notification will be visible within Action Center.

Screenshots will come shortly.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Damn this build sounds nice. Dark theme and finally a better Skype app, as well as Bash.
I'm tempted to upgrade all my devices to this, including my main-use ones if it runs stable enough whilst testing. None of the bugs are problems for me.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4 and XP SP3
meagain wrote:
I'm tempted to upgrade all my devices to this, including my main-use ones if it runs stable enough whilst testing. None of the bugs are problems for me.

Too bad there is a cellular bug that's preventing the mobile build from being seeded. Ahh.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:46 pm 
Administrator

ESDs are being uploaded to BA as we speak.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:54 pm 
Donator

Greetings :)

Given the development stage of the WSL I am not even surprised Firefox crashes on every other website.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:45 am 

Favourite OS
Offtopic Comment
I think if CMD, Powershell, and Bash were merged that would be the ultimate Command line.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:16 am 
Donator

AlphaBeta wrote:

Given the development stage of the WSL I am not even surprised Firefox crashes on every other website.

How did you get Firefox loading if you don't mind me asking?

I'm surprised by how functional the Linux subsystem is. I just attempted and was able to compile a kernel with no issues.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:53 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Found a new feature of the BSOD in 14316: a QR code! :D
Like you would actually have time to pull out you phone, open the QR app, and scan the on-screen code before the system reboots.

Honestly, I would rather see the actual error info instead of that big, useless QR code.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:58 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Goldfish64 wrote:
Like you would actually have time to pull out you phone, open the QR app, and scan the on-screen code before the system reboots.

Honestly, I would rather see the actual error info instead of that big, useless QR code.

It would be a bit more useful if the system weren't set to reboot when a BSoD occurs by default. With these settings, all the user sees is a giant square that shows up for 5 seconds.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:37 am 
FTP Access

Courage wrote:
Goldfish64 wrote:

It would be a bit more useful if the system weren't set to reboot when a BSoD occurs by default. With these settings, all the user sees is a giant square that shows up for 5 seconds.

Mostly it happens for only a second or two.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:11 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.51 build 1057
AlphaBeta wrote:

It seems that WSL is 64bit only. in 14316 x86 build I can't find this entry for turn on/off.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:43 am 

Favourite OS
Goldfish64 wrote:

I really hate how companies force everyone to do everything with their smartphone.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:10 pm 
Donator

They aren't really forcing anyone though, it's just a more convenient way of looking up the issue. You can always just write down the actual stop code.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:40 pm 

Favourite OS
4512jth wrote:
They aren't really forcing anyone though, it's just a more convenient way of looking up the issue. You can always just write down the actual stop code.

Well there is no point if the BSOD usually disappears in 3 seconds. (Unless if you disable automatic restart on system failure, which not everyone knows how to do.)

Last edited by Fuzzy_Blanket on Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:00 am 
Donator

True. Perhaps Microsoft is going to disable that by default and then have some sort of message instructing the user to restart either with a key press or hard rebooting the machine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:32 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4512jth wrote:
True. Perhaps Microsoft is going to disable that by default and then have some sort of message instructing the user to restart either with a key press or hard rebooting the machine.

I'd most likely bet against it, especially on servers. However, this could be implemented on client systems.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:01 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
4512jth wrote:
AlphaBeta wrote:

I'd love to know that too.
I assume that the linux subsystem does not include an X server, so I checked whether linux applications could use CygWin/X, but to no avail.
AlphaBeta, will you share your secrets with us? :-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:26 pm 
Donator

xelloss wrote:
4512jth wrote:
AlphaBeta wrote:

I'd love to know that too.
I assume that the linux subsystem does not include an X server, so I checked whether linux applications could use CygWin/X, but to no avail.
AlphaBeta, will you share your secrets with us? :-)

I personally use Cygwin/X, although others should work as well - the only thing really required is that it is able to render stuff and allows remote clients to connect over TCP.

Here's a guide for Cygwin/X:
0) Install Cygwin and the X server.

1) Launch a Cygwin shell and enter the following command line:
Code:
$ XWin :0 -listen tcp -multiwindow

This starts an Cygwin/X server on displaynumber 0 listening for incoming connections over TCP. The multiwindow option provides an integrated window manager to show the windows with a native Windows window frame.

2) Set the DISPLAY environment variable in the lxss bash shell:
Code:
$ export DISPLAY=:0

3) Run your favorite GUI goodies, as long as they don't use stuff not implemented as of yet.

@4512jth: I used the regular Firefox from the repo.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
AlphaBeta wrote:
1) Launch a Cygwin shell and enter the following command line:
Code:
$ XWin :0 -listen tcp -multiwindow

I think this is what I was missing.
Yes, it works now! Actually it fails, but it's still great that some windows open! :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:22 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 2000
I don't know if you noticed this but when you open settings it does not show up in the taskbar. I have mixed feelings about that :P

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjxC-IInPrC1dNISF8ZQ

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Build 14316 released to Insiders        Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:36 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
is the Taskbar bug common or rare?

Top  Profile