BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 5h, 51m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 5308MB of 11398MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:39 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All under 2428
Hey BetaArchive!

I was digging around in The Collection Book, and surprisingly, Windows ME's Codename: Millennium appeared either in the CMD, or the bottom right corner (B1-B3 only).
But the CMD Millennium appearance stayed in the RTM! :|

Evidence:Image

Have any of you known this?

Let me know!

-WindowsCollector2000
The Beta Collector

png is better than jpeg.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:28 pm 
FTP Access

Good god...
You know ME stands for Millennium Edition, therefore Millennium really isn't much of a codename in this context.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:39 pm 
FTP Access

...not a surprise to any of us.

Windows ME stands for "Millennium Edition", so of course we've all known this. Microsoft just simply thought it to be fitting enough to release the Windows 9x-based, home-oriented counterpart of Windows 2000 branded as "Millennium Edition" (or ME) to celebrate the New Millennium.

That does NOT imply that it was released as a beta if it STILL has part of its codename in the title.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:49 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All under 2428
Then where did Millennium "Edition" come from?

png is better than jpeg.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:16 am 
FTP Access

WindowsCollector2000 wrote:
Hopefully this gets the point across for someone like you:
Step 1. Look up the meaning of "millennium"
Step 2. Look up Windows ME's release date
Step 3. Process information
Step 4. "Oh"
Step 5. You did it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:19 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 2000/macOS Mojave
Have you ever heard of the Millennium?

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjxC-IInPrC1dNISF8ZQ

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:29 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 95 OSR 2.5

I think you're reading too much into it. My guess is that they probably added the "Edition" word just to shorten the name to "Windows ME" for marketing reasons. Since it was a new edition of the Windows 9x family, "Windows ME" visually looks more akin to "Windows 98" or "Windows 95" than the longer "Windows Millenium" name. Also, I imagine the name "Windows Millenium" could potentialy generate confusion with "Windows 2000", which is a different product (a version of the Windows NT family).
By the way, they should have made the same with the "Windows Vista" name, which in my opinion was just as bad as the OS itself.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
All under 2428
Fred_PJ wrote:

I think you're reading too much into it. My guess is that they probably added the "Edition" word just to shorten the name to "Windows ME" for marketing reasons. Since it was a new edition of the Windows 9x family, "Windows ME" visually looks more akin to "Windows 98" or "Windows 95" than the longer "Windows Millenium" name. Also, I imagine the name "Windows Millenium" could potentialy generate confusion with "Windows 2000", which is a different product (a version of the Windows NT family).
By the way, they should have made the same with the "Windows Vista" name, which in my opinion was just as bad as the OS itself.

Unless Windows 2000 was something different, like Windows Version 2000! :? Then Windows Millennium would've made sense.
Or the NT Version Numbers would've stayed, so it would be, for example: NT Professional Version 5.0.

png is better than jpeg.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:22 am 
Donator

8-) Oh stop worrying about pointless semantics. Windows 2000 was released December 15, 1999. Jesus Christ, 16 days off from the new year.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:04 am 
FTP Access

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3, Windows 1.0 DR5
M = Millennium
E = Edition

So why is it so surprising that "Millennium" is in the command prompt?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:05 am 

Lukas Marsik wrote:
Hopefully this gets the point across for someone like you:
Step 1. Look up the meaning of "millennium"
Step 2. Look up Windows ME's release date
Step 3. Process information
Step 4. "Oh"
Step 5. You did it.

You may very well be belittling someone for your own misunderstanding of what you are quoting, why you are constantly allowed to do such is a mystery.

Whilst the OP may in fact be bringing up the fact that the word millennium as still being used in the final name of this operating system, since the original codename of this OS was "Codenamed Millennium" the post you are quoting is about WindowsCollector2000 asking where the word "Edition" came to being a part of it's final name.

It's not that hard to state that it refers as a 2000 edition personal/home OS as opposed to windows 2000 being a work/business based OS.

Last edited by TheOtherGuy on Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
- TheOtherGuy: I agree with you. The level of intolerance that some people have is astounding.

- Lukas Marsik: This time I am going to let this pass with an informal warning right here - please stop. That, and a few of you indeed misunderstood what the person was even asking - they were asking why they added "Edition" to the name instead of just keeping it as "Windows Millennium". That is as of yet unknown, and it would have been best to state that.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:02 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
user99672 wrote:
8-) Oh stop worrying about pointless semantics. Windows 2000 was released December 15, 1999. Jesus Christ, 16 days off from the new year.

Actually, the RTM was compiled on that date. It wasn't until February 2000 that it was released.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:05 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows NT 4.0
This not even a secret, on Windows ME disc in readme.txt it cleary says "Microsoft Windows Millenium Edition", here is screenshot from my Win ME disc:

They probably made "Millenium Edition" name, for some reason for people which would be asking what it comes for, why "ME?" excatly. I don't know what is here to think about.

Same would be with Windows XP, which is known sometimes as "eXPerience" but Microsoft not really used that name in Windows, except maybe for actually releasing that Windows, where it I think was used as part of advertisement for this system.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Actually, now that I think of it, I guess you could speculate they added "Edition" to the codename so the initials become "ME". Me (or you, technically). Get it? They've used both names in advertising and branding, and with all that multimedia hype they were pushing for, I guess it's not that far fetched.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager - my configuration manager for 86Box

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:23 am 
Donator

Take a backward step, then a forward step

Favourite OS
LH 4015, Chicago 73g, XP 2416
Possibly a developer oversight. Theres another thread on here about "Windows Whistler" appearing on XP OEM partitions from 2001-2003ish, might be for similar reasons.

When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:56 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
DarkerJ wrote:
Possibly a developer oversight. Theres another thread on here about "Windows Whistler" appearing on XP OEM partitions from 2001-2003ish, might be for similar reasons.

I was trying to install an ATi legacy driver for a Vista machine and the file name began with "LH" - LongHorn. There's a ton of product codenames hidden in release software.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: ME's codename still exists?        Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:20 pm 

Overdoze wrote:
Actually, now that I think of it, I guess you could speculate they added "Edition" to the codename so the initials become "ME". Me (or you, technically). Get it? They've used both names in advertising and branding, and with all that multimedia hype they were pushing for, I guess it's not that far fetched.

Sounds - plausible.

The OEM partner kit for millennium also has multiple mentions of "you" in bold all throughout the kits literature.

Top  Profile