BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 1h, 38m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 4585MB of 10693MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 10 Mobile / 8 RT on Pi 2        Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Basically, the Pi 2 now has Windows 10 IOT. Could you take either a Windows Phone recovery image and dump this to the CoreOS partition, replacing Windows 10 IOT?
I know the Windows Kernel and HAL are designed to be portable, and understand there would not be drivers. Still, as a proof of concept...

Cortulla from XDA-Developers ported Windows 8 RT to the HTC One and HD2. Porting to the Pi 2 would be a lot easier as MS have already given us a Windows bootloader!

If you look on the Raspberry Pi forums they have attempted this and obtained a few BSODs and not much else, but they used 8 RT and not Win10 mobile or Win8.1 RT.

I'm going to try and get my hands on a Pi 2 soon and will attempt this, any thoughts?

- meagain

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile / 8 RT on Pi 2        Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
Hmm. You may have an idea here... Unfortunately, I don't have a Pi 2, but if I did, I would defiantly try this.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile / 8 RT on Pi 2        Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:54 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Thanks for the reply.
I'll have to buy one sometime. If I do get it working there will be a full guide over up on my site and possibly here too

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile / 8 RT on Pi 2        Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:14 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Already been there.

It's not quite so simple, the Pi 2 isn't actually that typical from a SoC standpoint, and the IoT Core does rely on a couple of HAL Extensions iirc. The Distractor has played with it more than I have though.

I've not tried it particularly since Microsoft released the packages of 10586, which should make it easier to craft a custom image.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile / 8 RT on Pi 2        Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:46 pm 

hounsell wrote:
Already been there.

It's not quite so simple, the Pi 2 isn't actually that typical from a SoC standpoint, and the IoT Core does rely on a couple of HAL Extensions iirc. The Distractor has played with it more than I have though.

I've not tried it particularly since Microsoft released the packages of 10586, which should make it easier to craft a custom image.

You can actually copy and use the HAL Extensions from the Windows IoT build in the Windows Mobile image as soon as them both match their Build Version number. Extra IoT driver packages can be extracted from the IoT image with DISM and applied to the Windows Mobile image. Theoretically all this should work as the RPi2 build doesn't have any really different from the build used in phones/tablets besides the drivers and HAL extensions.

MS Boot.img image for the RPi2 is actually a complete On-disk UEFI firmware image like the ones used to boot MacOSX from BIOS-only boards. As such, it can load any EFI loader executable, as soon as it is in the right path in the storage media partition [\Boot\Bootarm.efi]. You don't need replace the Windows BOOTMGR bits.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile / 8 RT on Pi 2        Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
IoT and Windows Mobile are signed with different cert roots though - Windows Mobile has its own CA, Windows IoT uses the normal Windows CA.

That makes mixing different parts from each a bit hazardous, particularly only when you have certificate-enforcing secure-booting Retail packages, which is why I brought up the IoT package release to MSDN, because the Test/Production packages do not enforce signature checks (at least according to their description in ICD, I've not actually tested it).

I'm aware of how RPi2 does it's UEFI, quite a glorious little hack actually. The Xiaomi Mi 4 WM10 ROM uses a similar hack - it has a UEFI image as a binary partition in the ROM.

And sure, booting RT/10 on the RPi 2 should theoretically work, but theory and practice have a habit of being completely different to each other ;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile / 8 RT on Pi 2        Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:01 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Thanks for all the replies.
Maybe this is something I'll consider later when Win10 for android phones matures...
Would still be interested to hear any responses

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile / 8 RT on Pi 2        Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
Maybe I should link you to a tweet of mine and note that I never did get the drivers working...

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile / 8 RT on Pi 2        Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
That is brilliant.
Thanks for the link, will look into it further this weekend.
Have purchased a Pi 2 and hope to look into the bootloader further.
Drivers won't be such an issue on dekstop-ish hardware, its just patching the kernel I guess. I would love to progress with this for many reasons, especially proving the guys over at the raspberry pi forums who said it could never be done :D
No, seriously with the desktop emulation layer over at XDA this could be a fun project if we ever get the kernel to biot in the Pi.
Even Win10 Phone would be cool, and possibly easier.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile / 8 RT on Pi 2        Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:01 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
meagain wrote:
That is brilliant.
Drivers won't be such an issue on dekstop-ish hardware, its just patching the kernel I guess. I would love to progress with this for many reasons, especially proving the guys over at the raspberry pi forums who said it could never be done :D
No, seriously with the desktop emulation layer over at XDA this could be a fun project if we ever get the kernel to biot in the Pi.

Yeah, last thing i tried with Pi2 was WP10. I should try that again sometime.

For nt 6.2/6.3 you *will* need to code a HAL extension yourself, as rpi2 support got added directly into the win10 ARM HAL.

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile / 8 RT on Pi 2        Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:01 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
The Distractor wrote:
meagain wrote:
That is brilliant.

Yeah, last thing i tried with Pi2 was WP10. I should try that again sometime.

For nt 6.2/6.3 you *will* need to code a HAL extension yourself, as rpi2 support got added directly into the win10 ARM HAL.

Yeah, not something I could do myself.
Win10 Phone seems to be easier and there are reports of it booting from the raspi forums. Will try when my pi2 arrives.

Thanks again

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile / 8 RT on Pi 2        Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
New Pi 2 sitting beside me now...
The Distractor, could you detail how you got Win10 Phone working? Was it just a simple image flash or was it more complicated using HAL extensions or something else?

Thanks in advance,

- meagain

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile / 8 RT on Pi 2        Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
So... I now have the Windows Phone IoT image on a 16GB SD card and the Xiaomi Windows 10 Mobile ROM ffu (I posted the download) dumped to a 32GB USB stick.
I plan to bcdboot the Windows 10 Mobile USB so it can be loaded from the Windows 10 IoT bootloader.
I understand this is a very long shot, no drivers will work etc even if it does boot, but I'm going to try anyway.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile / 8 RT on Pi 2        Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Yeah, that didn't work out as Windows 10 IoT didn't have bcdboot
I tried cloning the MainOS partition over from the Xiaomi image but it currently bootloops with a black screen...

EDIT: I'm dumping the Windows Phone image to the SD then copying over the boot partition.
EDIT: Can't get past the aforementioned bootloop. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
EDIT: I can't think of any other ways to do this really. I've tried cloning the Windows 10 Mobile mainos partition to the mainos partition on the SD for Windows 10 IoT, and doing the same with the data partition. No joy. Would the lack of HAL extensions cause the bootloop mentioned above or is the problem more serious?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile / 8 RT on Pi 2        Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:56 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
I'm now completely out of ideas. 10 IoT runs fine but I haven't even got as close to a BSOD at boot yet using the Windows 10 Mobile image. I've tried cloning the partition, flashing it, copying to a USB, copying it over manually and replacing IoT files with Mobile files. No luck.

Top  Profile  WWW