BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 22h, 41m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 6121MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows Protection Error with Memphis 1411 at first boot        Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:09 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 3.11 for Workgroups
I've just installed Memphis build 1411 in VMware Workstation 11. After a successful setup with no errors, when the VM rebooted for the "first time run" of Memphis it got me the infamous "Windows Protection Error. You need to restart the computer". It didn't say which file caused the error. I also set acpi.present = "false" in the .vmx file before installing Memphis. I don't know why this happened and how to solve this. Any ideas?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Protection Error with Memphis 1411 at first boot        Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
possibly related to the FDC driver (hsflop.pdr), well, for proper operation, use PCem (experimental build by Battler).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Protection Error with Memphis 1411 at first boot        Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:33 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win95C & Win98SE
Morea wrote:
I've just installed Memphis build 1411 in VMware Workstation 11. After a successful setup with no errors, when the VM rebooted for the "first time run" of Memphis it got me the infamous "Windows Protection Error. You need to restart the computer". It didn't say which file caused the error. I also set acpi.present = "false" in the .vmx file before installing Memphis. I don't know why this happened and how to solve this. Any ideas?

Did you apply rloew's CPU clock speed patches? The CPU clock speed bug and the HSFLOP.PDR issue just mentioned are the only ones I know of that should cause this problem. Deleting HSFLOP.PDR should allow you to continue if it is the problem.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Protection Error with Memphis 1411 at first boot        Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:57 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 3.11 for Workgroups
I've discovered that the problem are the floppy drivers. I deleted them, booting in safe mode, then when I restarted it worked like a charm :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Protection Error with Memphis 1411 at first boot        Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:45 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune Build 5111
Or replace it with Windows 95's HSFLOP.PDR. EDIT: I apologize (again) for the necro.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Protection Error with Memphis 1411 at first boot        Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
Or just use PCem, where the build will most likely run without any modifications.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM