BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 22h, 8m | CPU: 65% | MEM: 6039MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 PostPost subject: ClassicBeta        Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
Back in February this year cooled revived OSBA. Because OSBA once had a wiki, I've decided to revive...
...which is my new MediaWiki-based site for Windows, Mac, OS/2, *nix, etc. information, just like BAWiki, BetaWiki, abandonware/beta forums like this one, etc. The wiki is still small so contribute if you can. The URL is below:
http://classicbeta.hostingsiteforfree.com

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ClassicBeta        Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:27 am 

Favourite OS
NT 4
Anything that contains "free" in the URL, hosting in particular, is a major deterrent, I must say.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: ClassicBeta        Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Nashville 4.00.83
Stephanos wrote:
Anything that contains "free" in the URL, hosting in particular, is a major deterrent, I must say.

I know that many people turn their noses away from free hosted sites, but this site will probably change to paid hosting sometime in the future.
Edit: It seems that an anonymous user (that appears to be from Germany) spammed my wiki with a link to a forum whose name offends me. I've reverted all of his edits and blocked him for a month.
Edit 2: More goatse spam, makes me remember what happened to Ovctvct's LHwiki. Reverted edits, and deleted pages, and will censor the edits later.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: ClassicBeta        Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
Because BetaWiki and BA Wiki aren't enough.

What do you plan to offer over those two wikis? Your wiki has the same goal as the other two but they have paid hosting and active contributors. The latter can be gained over time but as Stephanos said, free hosting isn't exactly encouraging.

Looking to contact me? Shoot me a PM on reddit (here).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: ClassicBeta        Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:24 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
DiskingRound wrote:
cooled revived OSBA.

And that it is called OSBA is not the reason its seen any success. Indeed, I'd point out this was not cooled's first attempt to revive OSBA.

You need three things for any site of yours to have a hope of success.

1. Proper hosting and a proper domain
Free hosting and a subdomain isn't going to cut it. A .tk won't either. Free hosting is always going to be far too heavily limited or compromised, but also it sends out the wrong message to your potential users. If someone can't even put the minimal amount of money required for a domain and proper hosting, there's absolutely nothing tying the creator to the site. They can just ditch it and move onto their next bright idea. Something which you've done how many times in the last month?

2. A huge investment of time and effort yourself
No-one's going to add content to your site for you initially. It's something you're going to have to do yourself. And its going to have to be reasonably complete or contain information unique to your site. This is why its best to start with a site relatively small in scope and only expand it once it takes off. Do one thing, well, and then you can start going somewhere with your larger ideas. Also helpful here is genuine web development skills.

3. A good personal reputation
Vital to the success of any site early on is the personal reputation of the people involved. If people don't like you, they're probably not going to visit your website, and if they do, it'll only be to cause trouble. Also relevant is that people consider you to be qualified to talk about the subject matter of your website, and whether people think you can commit long-term to a project. Ideally, you will also be able to influence other respected people to join you.

I'd consider those three points a minimum, and even then no guarantee of success themselves. There's a huge element of luck involved.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: ClassicBeta        Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:34 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Pro x64
hounsell wrote:
DiskingRound wrote:
cooled revived OSBA.

And that it is called OSBA is not the reason its seen any success. Indeed, I'd point out this was not cooled's first attempt to revive OSBA.

You need three things for any site of yours to have a hope of success.

1. Proper hosting and a proper domain
Free hosting and a subdomain isn't going to cut it. A .tk won't either. Free hosting is always going to be far too heavily limited or compromised, but also it sends out the wrong message to your potential users. If someone can't even put the minimal amount of money required for a domain and proper hosting, there's absolutely nothing tying the creator to the site. They can just ditch it and move onto their next bright idea. Something which you've done how many times in the last month?

2. A huge investment of time and effort yourself
No-one's going to add content to your site for you initially. It's something you're going to have to do yourself. And its going to have to be reasonably complete or contain information unique to your site. This is why its best to start with a site relatively small in scope and only expand it once it takes off. Do one thing, well, and then you can start going somewhere with your larger ideas. Also helpful here is genuine web development skills.

3. A good personal reputation
Vital to the success of any site early on is the personal reputation of the people involved. If people don't like you, they're probably not going to visit your website, and if they do, it'll only be to cause trouble. Also relevant is that people consider you to be qualified to talk about the subject matter of your website, and whether people think you can commit long-term to a project. Ideally, you will also be able to influence other respected people to join you.

I'd consider those three points a minimum, and even then no guarantee of success themselves. There's a huge element of luck involved.

Agreed, safe to say enough of these "revive x site"/"make x site" any further ones will be removed.

I-i-it's n-not as if I wanted to ban you or anything. B-baka. (「・ω・)「

Top  Profile  WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]