Custom DOS Operating System

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
benny1091
FTP Access

Custom DOS Operating System

Post by benny1091 »

Hello, I am writing a shell to MS-DOS that so far stinks. It is only 640x480x16 colors, but it is around 1/10 of a megabyte. I want to bundle this with some sort of DOS. I am kind of feature incomplete at the moment, so does anybody hav any suggesstions? i hav an early build of it online at http://mayos.vze.com/

If you hav an external application to suggest, i hpoe for it to be open source or hav a developer i could contact for permission to bundle it with.

I also hav another OS planned, that bundles Fusion 3.0, FreeDOS, and it allows Mac OS 7.5.3 to run on ordinary x86 pcs, given that the person who wants 2 use it has a ROM image.[/url]

Axalon

Post by Axalon »

Cool.

Might I ask what Fusion 3.0 is? There are a lot of things out there that use the name "Fusion".

Will your custom DOS come with a toolchain for compiling? If not, might I suggest DJGPP, which is a port of GCC to DOS.

Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions, but for your Mac OS support, I'm guessing you'll be bundling Basilisk II?

benny1091
FTP Access

Post by benny1091 »

fusion is a freeware mac emulator, and the only thing i will require ppl 2 include is their own rom, unless sum1 wants 2 b illegal and bundle 1 themselves, but i dont think thats a good idea, lol. thanks 4 the suggestions, btw. ill look into all of them

Battler
Donator

Re: Custom DOS Operating System

Post by Battler »

Hmmm... maybe you could send it to me and then I could try to bundle it into my MS-DOS 6.40 (my custom DOS version, based on MS-DOS 6.22). What do you think?
benny1091 wrote:Hello, I am writing a shell to MS-DOS that so far stinks. It is only 640x480x16 colors, but it is around 1/10 of a megabyte. I want to bundle this with some sort of DOS. I am kind of feature incomplete at the moment, so does anybody hav any suggesstions? i hav an early build of it online at http://mayos.vze.com/

If you hav an external application to suggest, i hpoe for it to be open source or hav a developer i could contact for permission to bundle it with.

I also hav another OS planned, that bundles Fusion 3.0, FreeDOS, and it allows Mac OS 7.5.3 to run on ordinary x86 pcs, given that the person who wants 2 use it has a ROM image.[/url]
Join [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/softhistory/]#softhistory @ RoL IRC[/url], a nice community for true enthusiasts!
Anime channel: [url=irc://irc.ringoflightning.net/aniboshi/]#doki-doki @ RoL IRC[/url], Mibbit, KiwiIRC.
The 86Box help channel is #softhistory now!

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Frozenport
FTP Access
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Re: Custom DOS Operating System

Post by Frozenport »

benny1091 wrote: I also hav another OS planned, that bundles Fusion 3.0, FreeDOS, and it allows Mac OS 7.5.3 to run on ordinary x86 pcs, given that the person who wants 2 use it has a ROM image.[/url]
Does it also fly and cook my toast?
---------

Can you elaborate on what you want from this shell and what kind of new functionality you need from DOS? (or are you looking for branding???)
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

benny1091
FTP Access

Post by benny1091 »

sorry about not replying and talkin about a miracle operating system, lol. that would be a great idea, bundlin it with DOS 6.4. Ill send u the files when i finish the first version of it. The shell to is meant to make older computers more usable, that is all. it adds a GUI to most DOS functions, almost like Windows 3.1. I stopped development temporarily. It wasnt very advanced, and any1 could hav written it. i have just finished a bootable version of it. i will post a link to the download later. The bootable version contains an installer and it sys c: the drive upon finishing, so do not install on a needed computer.