Windows 1.0 Premiere Edition

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
DiskingRound
FTP Access

Re: Windows 1.0 Premiere Edition

Post by DiskingRound »

thefrenchrat wrote:
DiskingRound wrote:
gabegriggs1 wrote:Do we have any more proof yet? I found something that might shed some light if it is what I am thinking. http://mashable.com/2010/10/14/the-orig ... press-kit/
That press kit has since been removed from the internet. It is lost forever.
Has anyone managed to download the press kit before it was removed?
An image of a folder containing the pages of the Press Kit has surfaced on 2014-05-11 posted by Raiker:
The next day, Raiker reuploaded it to OneDrive: http://1drv.ms/1mNIXiT

gabegriggs1
Donator

Post by gabegriggs1 »

Can one of you admins put it back on the FTP, please?
"Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations." - Steve Jobs

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjx ... C1dNISF8ZQ

DiskingRound
FTP Access

Post by DiskingRound »

gabegriggs1 wrote:Can one of you admins put it back on the FTP, please?
Nope ;) until the real PE leaks
Last edited by DiskingRound on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James
Staff

Post by James »

DiskingRound wrote:
gabegriggs1 wrote:Can one of you admins put it back on the FTP, please?
Nope ;) until the real PE leaks
You're not an admin...

I'd ask mrpijey or Andy if there are plans to put the Press Kit on the FTP.
James *~*~* BA Moderator | Alternate History writer

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

A bit of a late reply, but I've put the press kit on the FTP now alongside with the other press kits we got.
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

I know I'm replying to a post that's old. If I'm saying something wrong, cool - tell me.
mrpijey wrote:It's not _I_ that have strong doubts about this. It's a lot of people, some of which has presented their findings, and some I've read on other sources not related to BA. You think you know everything that happens on BA? You do realise that a lot of people keep in touch with me and update me with info, info that I later present to the public, like in this case? I don't need to discuss and validate every decision I make with the entire forum. But perhaps you meant that I need to discuss things with you before I make a decision, because it feels like you do... since you think I make all decisions based on my own opinions and no one elses...
The forum supports sending mass-emails (I've been a sysop on a PHPBB forum myself and know the backend), so what's to prevent an actual community discussion from happening? I know that the truth can't be determined by argumentum ad pupulum, but for some important (or potentially important) issues, an email inviting members to join a discussion between X and Y times concerning how the 'fake' software should be disposed wouldn't be too bad an idea. At least it would help perpetuate the illusion of community spirit.
Yes I am the FTP admin, I am also the only one (apart from Andy of course) that can add or remove a release on this site. This means that no one can make a decision on if something should be added or removed as this decision lies with me and only me. But as I mentioned before, a lot of info passes my table before I make a decision, info you are not aware of and in some cases info you should not be aware of. I do depend on the users for proper info, because it's the users that tell me this PE release is suspicious, and it's them that gave me the arguments you read. So you see, it's not only my opinion... it's however my decision in the end. If you had any questions about a release you would have voiced it as well, and I bet you wouldn't involve every other member before letting me make a decision.
That first sentence kind of makes it sound like you and Andy are BA.
Who are "we"? You? Everyone on this forum? Or only the VIP members? Who? Do I need to ask everyone on BA before I make a decision to add or remove stuff from the FTP? I think not. And you just read the reasons why it was removed... I was planning making a post about the removal but DeFacto beat me to it by posting the question so I answered it instead. But I definately don't need to ask permission to remove it. If I want I can close the FTP and put all of the files into the trashcan and hit empty if I want. Sure it would be stupid but I don't need to ask permission for that either.
This is why I stopped visiting BA very often. That's the attitude that seems to be reflected by the whole 'community' and on occasion it fills me with the urge to defecate.
Have a day.

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

marktuson wrote:The forum supports sending mass-emails (I've been a sysop on a PHPBB forum myself and know the backend), so what's to prevent an actual community discussion from happening? I know that the truth can't be determined by argumentum ad pupulum, but for some important (or potentially important) issues, an email inviting members to join a discussion between X and Y times concerning how the 'fake' software should be disposed wouldn't be too bad an idea. At least it would help perpetuate the illusion of community spirit.
It isn't just the public community, but also the discussions in private. I myself was the first one to notify mrpijey about this issue after SomeGuy (Nathan Lineback) brought it up on another forum (WinWorld), and I just passed it along.
marktuson wrote:That first sentence kind of makes it sound like you and Andy are BA.
No, what he's saying is that he is the one running the FTP server. There is a big difference here, and if he ever thought that he and Andy alone were BetaArchive as a whole, then he would have never relied on other members to help him verify the legitimacy of any such releases at all, would he?
marktuson wrote:This is why I stopped visiting BA very often. That's the attitude that seems to be reflected by the whole 'community' and on occasion it fills me with the urge to defecate.
And just what "attitude" are you talking about here? It's not like you were the one being targeted with that "attitude" (as you call it) - that was a reply to another user, and yet you seem to take it as if you were the one being addressed.

What I don't understand is why people complain about mrpijey running the FTP server? mrpijey has, if anything, worked miracles for the FTP server, with more software preserved than ever before, so why people would complain about it is beyond me...

Also, we're talking about the removal of a fake release, one that was confirmed to be completely fake anyway; the question is now when we will receive the real Windows Premiere Edition.

I am not meaning this to be taken as anything personal against you, but I am simply explaining the reasons behind each and every of mrpijey's actions. mrpijey has done a lot, and I think that we need to respect his decisions, since remember that it is, after all, his FTP server. And it's all software anyway - it's not the end of the world if a release turns out fake and is removed from the FTP server for that reason.

AlexN
Donator

Post by AlexN »

Status on the floppy drive?
...and I promise on my bones - I built this home, I built it up for you.
SoundCloud /// Twitter /// YouTube

Formerly ratsrock2323

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Seems like an another dud to me. Lots of promises, the ultimate silence.

trueyanksfan

Post by trueyanksfan »

Today I was finally able to read all 4 disks. Unfortunately, Disks 1-3 were overwritten at some point with backup data from an unknown program. (This shouldn't have been a surprise since those 3 did not have the write protect sticker.) Only Disk 4 contained the original files. Notice the date of October 1985.

It's still a neat piece of history. Thanks to all for the interest and information.

DiskingRound
FTP Access

Post by DiskingRound »

trueyanksfan wrote:Today I was finally able to read all 4 disks. Unfortunately, Disks 1-3 were overwritten at some point with backup data from an unknown program. (This shouldn't have been a surprise since those 3 did not have the write protect sticker.) Only Disk 4 contained the original files. Notice the date of October 1985.

It's still a neat piece of history. Thanks to all for the interest and information.
Oh my god! please upload the files you could get to MEGA or similar ASAP! Too bad disks 1-3 are overwritten.

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

trueyanksfan wrote:Today I was finally able to read all 4 disks. Unfortunately, Disks 1-3 were overwritten at some point with backup data from an unknown program. (This shouldn't have been a surprise since those 3 did not have the write protect sticker.) Only Disk 4 contained the original files. Notice the date of October 1985.

Thank you very much! Please make it available, although it's incomplete.

I suppose this means all hopes of understanding what serious bug prevented Win 1.0 from being immediately released are lost, though :-(

JustZisGuy
FTP Access

Post by JustZisGuy »

Some high resolution scans of the disk labels would still be great.

If you can image them, you should still make them available. Depending on the backup program used and if it is not full, there could be recoverable bits at the end of disk 3. It would also be interesting to see what they backed up.

mrpostiga

Post by mrpostiga »

djljktq_81 wrote:
Maxxyz wrote:Only Bill Gates knows answer on question: Is it Windows 1.00 Premiere Edition real or fake?
I'm not sure. Interestingly Microsoft has its own museum Software?
That's a realy good idea :)

I think Bill Gates will gonna approve that :)

ExplicitNuM5
FTP Access

Post by ExplicitNuM5 »

Not that he would reply to us, mrpostiga. X)

Trueyankfan, nice find.
To everyone else, why those different dates? If they release it on time, won't it be on the same date? Sorry about the very noobish question, since this I'm not sure about.
XDA-Developers: mr_verystock
Facebook: ___ ___ng
Google +: okcn .aline
Tom's Hardware : okcnaline
OSBetaArchive: ExplicitNuM5

Lukas Marsik
FTP Access

Post by Lukas Marsik »

ExplicitNuM5 wrote:Not that he would reply to us, mrpostiga. X)

Trueyankfan, nice find.
To everyone else, why those different dates? If they release it on time, won't it be on the same date? Sorry about the very noobish question, since this I'm not sure about.
If you compare against early chicagos, like 122 for example, it's got files ranging from ~90-122, MS didn't use to recompile everything when no changes were made

AlexN
Donator

Post by AlexN »

I'm going to assume disk 4 was the extras disk then, because if it's contents. Also, doesn't some programs like paint state the OS in the about box? Someone should try and run one of these programs and see what it says

Formerly ratsrock2323

DiskingRound
FTP Access

Post by DiskingRound »

ratsrock2323 wrote:I'm going to assume disk 4 was the extras disk then, because if it's contents. Also, doesn't some programs like paint state the OS in the about box? Someone should try and run one of these programs and see what it says
Well, he hasn't logged in since September 13th... looks like we'll have to wait for him to get online. It's a big shame that disks 1-3 are overwritten.

trueyanksfan

Post by trueyanksfan »

Let me see what I can do. I cant promise anything because I dont own any hardware and the machine I briefly borrowed has no network connectivity, usb, etc. Just an old Tandy booting into DOS!

DiskingRound
FTP Access

Post by DiskingRound »

trueyanksfan wrote:Let me see what I can do. I cant promise anything because I dont own any hardware and the machine I briefly borrowed has no network connectivity, usb, etc. Just an old Tandy booting into DOS!
Shame that disks 1-3 are overwritten... if you can get any files off those disks (or disk 4) then great! Someone can probably reconstruct it.

AlexN
Donator

Post by AlexN »

trueyanksfan wrote:Let me see what I can do. I cant promise anything because I dont own any hardware and the machine I briefly borrowed has no network connectivity, usb, etc. Just an old Tandy booting into DOS!
Just buy a cheap USB FDD and connect it to your main computer

Formerly ratsrock2323

user99672
Donator

Post by user99672 »

ratsrock2323 wrote:
Are you kidding me? Have you followed the topic at all? Show me one link where you can get a cheap 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive, and furthermore, one that will work on a newer PC.

Let's be realistic here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111368163047?lpid=82

First link on Google, 45 bucks

http://shop.deviceside.com/prod/FC5025
A Controller. 55 bucks

nearly 100 bucks is in no sense cheap, unless you're wealthy enough to flaunt that around.
Nothing.

MrFreeman
FTP Access

Post by MrFreeman »

user99672 wrote:
ratsrock2323 wrote:
Are you kidding me? Have you followed the topic at all? Show me one link where you can get a cheap 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive, and furthermore, one that will work on a newer PC.

Let's be realistic here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111368163047?lpid=82

First link on Google, 45 bucks

http://shop.deviceside.com/prod/FC5025
A Controller. 55 bucks

nearly 100 bucks is in no sense cheap, unless you're wealthy enough to flaunt that around.
The only thing I can say here is: I agree it's expensive.
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

You can also send the floppies away to someone of us that has a Kryoflux, and we can make a proper analog copy of the floppies as well as high res scans. All you need to invest in then is a padded envelope and stamps. And we'll dump, scan and return the floppies to you within a week.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Additionally I need to ask, what is so difficult with producing a copy, or artwork of this title? It was mentioned a while ago in this thread that you would look into a nearby service that could archive this release for you. What happened to that? And you had a P75 you could drop in a drive into and dump the floppies, what happened there? Are you able to produce any good scans of these floppies so we can at least preserve the artwork? It's been over half a year now with nothing more than two camera photos...

We're all very interested to see what's on these floppies and preserve what we can, but the more time that flies by the more questions arise if this is real or not... As I mentioned before, we have members (including me) that can help you to properly scan and dump these floppies, and there are so many ways you can scan them into high res pics and at least upload that so we can save the artwork. We're all interested in helping you in this matter.

I hope you understand why I ask, because time goes by and we still got no real info from you.