High resolutions on an FLP machine and a Compaq V55 monitor

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Tootles
Donator

High resolutions on an FLP machine and a Compaq V55 monitor

Post by Tootles »

I've an old lab machine from college that was given to me, which I now use as my main desktop. I put Windows FLP on it, and just use it for mucking around with Virtual PC mainly, but I'd like to have a high resolution, like 1280x1024 at least, on it. I know the monitor can do absolutely daft resolutions (I think I had something like 1990x1440 or something on it once, on a piece of multiboot software), but I have not yet managed to persuade Windows to do it. I've tried new drivers, adding to the registry, whatever else, etc... but nothing works. Is there a way by which I can DEFINITELY get HIGH resolutions out of this monitor?
Have a day.

teriaki 511
FTP Access

Post by teriaki 511 »

http://toastytech.com/guis/miscb.html
first thing on the page is how some guy got windows 95 to display in widescreen format, maybe this could give you some ideas?

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

teriaki 511 wrote:http://toastytech.com/guis/miscb.html
first thing on the page is how some guy got windows 95 to display in widescreen format, maybe this could give you some ideas?
I think it depends more on the video card and drivers - I have Windows 95 in a virtual machine with the VMware Tools drivers installed and it offers the 1680x1050 of my monitor in Control Panel with no hacking or anything like that needed.

teriaki 511
FTP Access

Post by teriaki 511 »

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote: I think it depends more on the video card and drivers - I have Windows 95 in a virtual machine with the VMware Tools drivers installed and it offers the 1680x1050 of my monitor in Control Panel with no hacking or anything like that needed.
i dunno, i was just thinking that a similar approach could force the other crazy resolutions to show up in FLP, marktuson already said that the monitor could do sizes like 1990x1440, so its just a matter of forcing control panel to show those resolutions

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Try windows update... (and for those that dont know, FLP just uses normal XP drivers)

Frozenport
FTP Access
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

It maybe hardware related. You may simple not have enough graphics memory... or the graphics card can't do such a high resolution...
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

It has done before though, on this machine (FreeBSD did it without me even asking it to, as did my old multiboot software); that's what I'm saying. I just want that resolution on Windows .
Have a day.