BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 21h, 8m | CPU: 71% | MEM: 6003MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Installing Mac OS 9.2.2 Simp.Chinese on an iBook G3        Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:59 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Hello everyone, I'm new here. I got an iBook G3 (Dual-USB model, PPC G3 700MHz, 384M RAM, 30G, 16M VRAM) a couple of weeks ago. I created two volumes on it, one sized 24GB with Mac OS X 10.4 installed and another sized approx 4GB to install Mac OS 9.2.2 Simplified Chinese.
But the problem is, the Mac OS 9.2.2 Simp.Chinese CD is for PowerMac G4 only. I tried to run the installer which told me it was not compatible with my computer... And OS9General.dmg on the Restoration CD shipped with this machine is English edition. Although Chinese Language kit helps to input Chinese, there are still garbled texts when Chinese programs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Mac OS 9.2.2 Simp.Chinese on an iBook G3        Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:58 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP2 5.1.2600
Try find a Mac OS 9.2.2 SC for eMac CD (with Mac OS ROM 9.0.1), this is working for all iBook G3s according to Chinese Mac communities.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Mac OS 9.2.2 Simp.Chinese on an iBook G3        Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:08 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
yksoft1 wrote:
Try find a Mac OS 9.2.2 SC for eMac CD (with Mac OS ROM 9.0.1), this is working for all iBook G3s according to Chinese Mac communities.

I haven't found this CD image so far. But I found this "Mac OS 9.2.2 install.dmg" sized 3.6G containing Mac OS 9.2.2 in 16 languages(including Simp.Chinese).
Later, I burned it to DVD and installed the S.Chinese edition to the target volume. After I boot off this volume, I found that the resolution was 640x480 and the picture was placed on the center(although 1024x768 was the only item on "monitor' panel). What's worse, no sound and cannot adjust volume...
And I realized, maybe those images were for Classic environment only.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Mac OS 9.2.2 Simp.Chinese on an iBook G3        Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
I managed...
Install Mac OS 9.2.2 install.dmg and start Classic Environment with that folder. Run the Installer of Mac OS 9.2.2 SC for Power Mac G4 under Classic Environment to avoid the tip. Although some packages was not be installed, the system does work.

Top  Profile