BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 10d, 14h, 30m | CPU: 14% | MEM: 5173MB of 11471MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 8.1 to launch in October        Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:15 am 
FTP Access

Summary: Microsoft announced today that it will make the Windows 8.1 update generally available to consumers in mid-October, roughly a year after the release of Windows 8. Today's announcement didn't offer any clues about when developers and enterprise customers can get the code, however.

Quote:
Microsoft today confirmed what had been widely rumored for the past week: Windows 8.1 will be released to the general public in October. Specifically, "starting at 12:00am on October 18th in New Zealand (that’s 4:00am October 17th in Redmond), Windows 8.1 will begin rolling out worldwide as a free update for consumers on Windows 8 through the Windows Store."Today's announcement indirectly confirms what my sources have also told me, which is that Windows 8.1 has been officially is in escrow, awaiting the final, formal designation that it's been released to manufacturing. ”In Microsoft’s partner-driven world, that’s an important milestone. It means the code is on its way to OEMs, who in turn can incorporate it into new hardware designs for shipment this fall. After a year of generally miserable Windows 8 sales, those OEMs could use some good news to drive holiday sales.The most visible change in Windows 8.1 is the addition of a "boot to desktop" option, as well as significant changes to the Start screen and support for smaller form factors. Customers, though, are going to have to wait.

Why the lengthy delay (more than two months) between this milestone and General Availability? I’ve heard some conspiracy theories suggesting that this isn’t the real release and that Microsoft is still furiously swatting bugs between now and an October public release.

The actual reasons, I suspect, are more mundane:

First, hardware makers need time to tweak drivers and utilities for existing devices so that the upgrade process goes more smoothly. That’s crucial for devices that require firmware upgrades to work properly with the new code. On the Windows 8.1 Preview forums, I've read page after page of reports from frustrated Preview users who had either failed upgrades or problems with incompatible devices. OEMs can’t afford widespread issues for customers getting released code.

Second, Microsoft still has work to do on its first-party Windows 8 apps, especially the unified Windows communication suite that incorporates the Mail, People, and Calendar apps.

And finally, those few extra months allow time for some high-profile third-party developers to get on board with Windows 8 apps. Facebook, for example, is still missing in action on the platform.

There will also, of course, be fixes for the official Windows 8.1 code between now and October, released via Windows Update. But the update itself is locked down.

There's no indication in today's consumer announcement of when the Windows 8.1 code will be available for developers on MSDN, nor when the Enterprise edition will be available for general release. I've asked Microsoft for comment and will update this post when I hear back.

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-1-to-lau ... 000019387/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to launch in October        Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:39 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows DP 8102
So it may have been sent to the manufacturers? I don't thing so. Back in the days of Windows 8, it was leaked 1 day after the release to manufacturers. And now we don't even know the RTM build number.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to launch in October        Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
tonychau77 wrote:
So it may have been sent to the manufacturers? I don't thing so. Back in the days of Windows 8, it was leaked 1 day after the release to manufacturers. And now we don't even know the RTM build number.
Ed Bott wrote:
"Today's announcement indirectly confirms what my sources have also told me, which is that Windows 8.1 has been officially is in escrow, awaiting the final, formal designation that it's been released to manufacturing.
Straight from the page itself, in case you missed it.

Basically, what he's saying isn't that Windows 8.1 is at RTM "Gold" stage yet, but that it's at RTM Escrow stage. There's quite a difference there, since RTM Escrow is basically some last minute cleaning up and refining of the code before it is ready to ship. The same has happened with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 also.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to launch in October        Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:43 am 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
6.3.9471 x64
I was looking forward to getting Windows 8.1 Pro in September :( . But it turns out that we have to wait another month to receive 8.1

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to launch in October        Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:14 pm 
Donator

while we are at it, windows server 2012r2 will be showing up the same day.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/in_the_cloud/archive/2013/08/14/mark-your-calendars-for-oct-18-the-r2-wave-is-coming.aspx
Code:
As some of you may have already noticed, earlier this morning Microsoft announced that Windows 8.1 will be available to consumers and businesses worldwide on October 18, 2013.

But before you start your 8.1 party (with a DJ in a data center, for example), there’s even more good news:

I'm excited to announce that, on the same day, eligible customers will be able to download Windows Server 2012 R2 and System Center 2012 R2, as well as the latest update to Windows Intune!  We’ll make evaluation versions available through the TechNet Evaluation Center, and these products will be available for new purchases when they hit the price list on November 1st.

Is it a coincidence that this will be 501st anniversary of Michelangelo exhibiting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel for the first time?  If you love great works of art, then it’s up to you to decide.

Just a few weeks ago I wrote about the common planning efforts and engineering milestones we shared during the development of this R2 wave – and seeing these products and services become generally available on the same day (with all their integrated scenarios!) is the ultimate benefit!

I encourage you to keep learning about the 2012 R2 releases via our “What’s New in 2012 R2” series on this blog, and also download the preview bits if you haven’t already done it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to launch in October        Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:12 am 

Favourite OS
SalkinOS
Do you need Windows 8 for 8.1 or can you buy Windows 8.1 directly as an Installer DVD?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to launch in October        Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:38 pm 

Favourite OS
SalkinOS
OK, i just found out ;) No need to answer!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to launch in October        Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1.0-8.1 (All systems)
Windows 8.1 officially launch in October, but when RTM will be released, in late August or... ?

Computer addict, Web Designer and Advanced Programmer.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to launch in October        Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:05 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 3.11
George_528 wrote:
Windows 8.1 officially launch in October, but when RTM will be released, in late August or... ?

If it's launching in October, the RTM will be released around there 8-)

wtnet

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to launch in October        Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:40 pm 
FTP Access

George_528 wrote:

Possibly in September.(if the general availability date is in October)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to launch in October        Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:34 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1.0-8.1 (All systems)
Yes, but Windows 8 is released on October 26, RTM is released on August 15.

Computer addict, Web Designer and Advanced Programmer.

Top  Profile