BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 6d, 5h, 56m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 5290MB of 11398MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:58 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Posts
343

Location
Brazil

Favourite OS
6.1.7850.0
Here’s some news about the final release of Windows 8.1 even before its preview release (set for June 26th, in case you didn’t know). Paul Thurott claims that the date for the launch of Windows 8.1 is simple, it’s 8/1 (i.e. August 1st). The same guy puts the release of Windows Phone 8.1 for an early 2014 timeframe.

Source

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:16 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:00 pm

Posts
54

Favourite OS
Windows NT 5.1
If this is true, then Windows 8 will be the shortest-lasting Windows release in recent memory. I believe it was introduced in October 2012--if Windows 8.1 is introduced in August, Windows 8 will have lasted less than 10 months in stores.

_________________
Windows XP: the operating system that just won't die....


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:53 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:33 pm

Posts
3899

Location
Where do you want to go today?

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
Are you sure that it's the actual launch itself, and not just the date at which it is supposed to become RTM "Gold"? Because not only would that be the one year anniversary of Windows 8 itself becoming RTM "Gold", but I've also heard that Microsoft plans to ship Windows 8.1 during the holiday season (around November).

Probably, RTM "Gold" will be on August 1st, and the actual release to "general availability" will be around November, however, until it gets closer to the finishing of development, no one will know for sure.


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:25 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:13 am

Posts
56

Favourite OS
Gentoo Linux
Whistler wrote:
If this is true, then Windows 8 will be the shortest-lasting Windows release in recent memory. I believe it was introduced in October 2012--if Windows 8.1 is introduced in August, Windows 8 will have lasted less than 10 months in stores.


I think it'd be better to see Windows 8 as the Gold version and Windows 8.1 as its all-but-in-name Service Pack.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:28 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:57 am

Posts
553

Location
Singapore

Favourite OS
Windows 10
WinPC wrote:
Are you sure that it's the actual launch itself, and not just the date at which it is supposed to become RTM "Gold"? Because not only would that be the one year anniversary of Windows 8 itself becoming RTM "Gold", but I've also heard that Microsoft plans to ship Windows 8.1 during the holiday season (around November).

Probably, RTM "Gold" will be on August 1st, and the actual release to "general availability" will be around November, however, until it gets closer to the finishing of development, no one will know for sure.


Or the RTM "Gold" or General Availability could be on 8/1/2014.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:52 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:34 pm

Posts
18

Favourite OS
2600 SP3
8.1 is already being released? Why don't they just include it as, say, Windows 8 SP2 or something, instead of pushing 8 off the market and throwing in 8.1?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:02 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:12 am

Posts
181

Location
Jakarta , Indonesia

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
rafaelgs wrote:
Here’s some news about the final release of Windows 8.1 even before its preview release (set for June 26th, in case you didn’t know). Paul Thurott claims that the date for the launch of Windows 8.1 is simple, it’s 8/1 (i.e. August 1st). The same guy puts the release of Windows Phone 8.1 for an early 2014 timeframe.

Source
Will it release only as update for Windows 8 or Microsoft still release it on retail DVD ?

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:05 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:19 pm

Posts
1832

Location
shell32.dll
Andreas wrote:
Will it release only as update for Windows 8 or Microsoft still release it on retail DVD ?


Most likely 8.1 will not have a dvd release.

_________________
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:19 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:12 am

Posts
181

Location
Jakarta , Indonesia

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Wheatley wrote:
Andreas wrote:
Will it release only as update for Windows 8 or Microsoft still release it on retail DVD ?


Most likely 8.1 will not have a dvd release.
So, if we wanted to install 8.1 on our computer . We must upgrade from Windows 8 . It suck :x

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:35 pm 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:11 pm

Posts
24

Location
Texas

Favourite OS
Windows 7
WindowsPX wrote:
8.1 is already being released? Why don't they just include it as, say, Windows 8 SP2 or something, instead of pushing 8 off the market and throwing in 8.1?


As far as I know, Microsoft wants to go the way Apple does by releasing a "new" operating system each year.

Andreas wrote:
So, if we wanted to install 8.1 on our computer . We must upgrade from Windows 8 . It suck :x


Why would it suck if you intend to upgrade to Windows 8.1 in the first place? 8-)

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:37 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Posts
5750
@astrox: because not everyone uses 8, that's why...


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:26 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun May 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Posts
165

Location
build.prop

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn, every build
Wow, Windows 8 is going to be the shortest Windows, replaced by 8.1 like ME replaced by XP.
Oh oh..... Microsoft, thats why i still love Apple more :)


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:27 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:25 pm

Posts
1381

Location
Fanculo (anche conosciuto come Quel Paese)
You don't get what 8.1 is.
Is not another OS or release, it's an update.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:54 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:12 am

Posts
181

Location
Jakarta , Indonesia

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
nedvire wrote:
Wow, Windows 8 is going to be the shortest Windows, replaced by 8.1 like ME replaced by XP.
Oh oh..... Microsoft, thats why i still love Apple more :)
And Windows 3.1 replaced by Windows 3.11

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:50 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sun May 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Posts
165

Location
build.prop

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn, every build
Andreas wrote:
nedvire wrote:
Wow, Windows 8 is going to be the shortest Windows, replaced by 8.1 like ME replaced by XP.
Oh oh..... Microsoft, thats why i still love Apple more :)
And Windows 3.1 replaced by Windows 3.11

That was a little update, not a whole new Windows, just a little update of the system that you needed to buy in the store.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:28 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:14 am

Posts
447

Location
Romania

Favourite OS
NT 10.0
CaptainPeanut wrote:
You don't get what 8.1 is.
Is not another OS or release, it's an update.


It's basically SP1 for 8 :P


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:29 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Posts
981
No , then why would it be called as Windows 8.1 and not Windows 8 SP1?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:40 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Posts
5750
Because, in case you haven't noticed, they're changing their OS release plan... Instead of major releases and service packs, they'll now release several minor releases before moving onto the next big thing.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:31 am 
Reply with quote
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:11 pm

Posts
24

Location
Texas

Favourite OS
Windows 7
DeFacto wrote:
@astrox: because not everyone uses 8, that's why...



So Windows 8 sucks because no one uses it. I don't follow your logic.
If you are planning on upgrading straight to 8.1, why is this going to suck? You'd still Win8 in order to upgrade to 8.1 anyways. Notice the number before the decimal point.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:13 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:02 pm

Posts
5750
I didn't say it sucks. I said not all people have upgraded to it (yet)... Get your facts right.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:26 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:17 am

Posts
3512

Location
Cologne, Germany

Favourite OS
10.0.9901
Andreas wrote:
Wheatley wrote:
Andreas wrote:
Will it release only as update for Windows 8 or Microsoft still release it on retail DVD ?


Most likely 8.1 will not have a dvd release.
So, if we wanted to install 8.1 on our computer . We must upgrade from Windows 8 . It suck :x


Well remember the new Windows 8 online installer? Also, it searches for updates before you start the installation. I would imagine that it works like that now.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:24 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:13 pm

Posts
512

Location
U.K.
astroX wrote:
DeFacto wrote:
@astrox: because not everyone uses 8, that's why...



So Windows 8 sucks because no one uses it. I don't follow your logic.
If you are planning on upgrading straight to 8.1, why is this going to suck? You'd still Win8 in order to upgrade to 8.1 anyways. Notice the number before the decimal point.

I'm betting that you'd be able to package your own disc image somehow.

DeFacto wrote:
Because, in case you haven't noticed, they're changing their OS release plan... Instead of major releases and service packs, they'll now release several minor releases before moving onto the next big thing.

Much like with OS X and their release plan, am I not correct?

_________________
Inactive. I also don't have anything ROBLOX-related, anymore. Please don't ask.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 to ship on August 1st        Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:33 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:33 pm

Posts
3899

Location
Where do you want to go today?

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
Windows XP wrote:
Much like with OS X and their release plan, am I not correct?
This is based on the release schedule for Windows Phone, not on Apple's release schedule. Especially since Apple does not generally release major updates, whereas Microsoft is apparently releasing these minor updates alongside major ones, since they even mentioned "Windows 9" on their Microsoft Careers website (unless they were somehow referring to Windows 8.1 as "Windows 9" at the time)


Top  Profile  WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2020

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS