Sigma OS (links) :

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
coolkips

Re: Sigma OS (links) :

Post by coolkips »

Sigma OS 3.0 Official Website:
http://techvortal.pl/sigma-f188/

Latest version: Sigma OS 3.0 Milestone 6
http://techvortal.pl/sigma-f188/sigma-m ... t2844.html

Mirror download:
https://mega.co.nz/#!WMxWRZAB!TCVsLR9hB ... Fng52S8Bug
or
http://www.4shared.com/file/e5sxhqpo/si ... 30_m6.html

Sigma OS 3.0 M6.iso (1.14GB)
MD5: 66b14d23487205646158148387a2aefd

lukaszuk1995
FTP Access

Post by lukaszuk1995 »

This site is in Polish. Full changelog are translated to English in this topic.
Intel Core i3-4170 @3.70GHz | MSI B85M-G43 | GeForce GTX 750 Ti | 16 GB RAM Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz | Patriot Blaze SSD 120 GB |

Intel Core2Duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz | Gigabyte GA-945-GZM-S2 | AMD Radeon HD 5450 | 4 GB RAM | Samsung HDD 160 GB |

Ilya

Post by Ilya »

Looks wonderful. Great thanks, urban92. How good does it work with large size of RAM (8gb)?
Offtopic Comment
I tried to run installing original 4074 with 8gb ram, but it always reboots

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Ilya wrote:Looks wonderful. Great thanks, urban92. How good does it work with large size of RAM (8gb)?
Offtopic Comment
I tried to run installing original 4074 with 8gb ram, but it always reboots

It's a 32-bit OS...

Just run a proper OS on that PC.

urban92
FTP Access

Post by urban92 »

Ilya wrote:How good does it work with large size of RAM (8gb)?
Build 4074 is unfortunately first build with blocked PAE like XP SP2. Older builds working with more than 4GB of RAM (like XP SP0/1). Unlocking the memory limit is possible in theory: http://www.geoffchappell.com/notes/wind ... memory.htm

The best way to testing 4074 at the present time is virtual machine.

Ilya

Post by Ilya »

urban92 wrote:
Build 4074 is unfortunately first build with blocked PAE like XP SP2. Older builds working with more than 4GB of RAM (like XP SP0/1). Unlocking the memory limit is possible in theory: http://www.geoffchappell.com/notes/wind ... memory.htm

The best way to testing 4074 at the present time is virtual machine.
Is there a way to run this with installed 8gb of RAM? What about setting any options in boot.ini (such as /pae or /maxmem)? Maybe is it another problem (system start freezes after loading windows/system32/acpitabl.dat)?

urban92
FTP Access

Post by urban92 »

/PAE option in boot.ini is not a solution, because memory support over 4GB in PAE is blocked in the same way as XP SP2. Maybe it's another problem, try to remove the memory under 4GB. Longhorn has strange problems on modern hardware.

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

You guys have done an amazing job- but I have a question. Everytime I shut down the laptop correctly, it does a hard shutdown at the very end. Can that be fixed?

Ilya

Post by Ilya »

urban92 wrote:Maybe it's another problem, try to remove the memory under 4GB. Longhorn has strange problems on modern hardware.
Thanks for advice, but the problem remains the same even with 2GBs. I hope that in one of wonderful days Longhorn would run on my PC not only in VM 8-)

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Ilya wrote:
urban92 wrote:Maybe it's another problem, try to remove the memory under 4GB. Longhorn has strange problems on modern hardware.
Thanks for advice, but the problem remains the same even with 2GBs. I hope that in one of wonderful days Longhorn would run on my PC not only in VM 8-)
Longhorn is one giant mess anyway. I remember back in the Longhorn 08 days, we tested 4074 with different RAM sizes and assessed performance, and found that it performed best with 512MB-768MB RAM. Once you went above that, you started losing performance again.

urban92
FTP Access

Post by urban92 »

Sigma OS 3.0 Final (full description)

I decided that the M6 Version ​​is suitable for final.

Sigma OS is the newest (and probably the last) Longhorn-based project. It's a repacked 4074 build, based on wim installer.

Changes since orginal 4074 build:

- Including all longhorn updates to Longhorn 2008 (Power Pack 1)
- Integrated all Visual C++ and MSXML Versions
- Integrated NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 SP2
- Integrated Windows Installer 4.5 (fixed "big fonts" in all installers)
- Easy DWM scripts (you can enable/disable Aero in one click)
- Full VMware 6-9 support (VGA drivers with out-of-the-box DWM support)
- Fully working Windows Media Player 11 (with PDC03 skin)
- All XP icons replaced with their equivalents from Vista
- Cursors and sounds from Vista Beta 2
- Plex style (ported from 4039) and Vista Basic style
- Removed WinFS and WinFS folders from Computer, you can install the addon if you want WinFS: https://mega.co.nz/#!2M4HgCqb!CvfceBXkZ ... GFafjlqJmE
- Patched hardware tab in sysdm.cpl (you can use both device manager or hardware and devices)
- Internet Explorer 7 (7.0.5346, beta2, the best working version in Longhorn), you can also install the IE8 addon, which isn't fully working: https://mega.co.nz/#!OJhgWbyQ!RFrDBTSS4 ... -iUsUY8flM
- Terminal Services Client 7.0
- Link-Layer Topology Discovery Driver (you can see Longhorn PC's on the network map in Vista and 7)
- Full SATA\AHCI\RAID support
- Removed Windows Update and System Restore
- Autostart disabled from any removable storage (security)
- Integrated KB2779562 update from XP SP3
- Partial exFAT file system support (read/write without formating)
- Opera 12.1x (the newest longhorn-compatible modern browser), 7-zip.
- XP SP3 Compatibility Layer in Application Verifier:
  • iexplore.exe - Internet Explorer 7.
    opera.exe - Opera 12.1x
    update.exe - required to install updates from XP
    wmplayer.exe - Windows Media Player 11, requied for playing files other than *.wav
    setup.exe - required for Office 2003/2007 and other updates
    rundll32.exe - required for .NET 2.0 SP2 and VMware Tools
    msiexec.exe - required for Windows Installer 4.5
    VboxDrvInst.exe - required to install VirtualBox Guest Additions
    VboxTray.exe - VirtualBox Guest Additions icon
    ohotfix.exe - required to install Office 2003/2007 service packs
    SetupFrontEnd.exe - Paint NET Installer
    PaintDotNet.exe - Paint NET
    Wordconv.exe, excelcnv.exe, ppcnvcom.exe - required to working Compatibility Pack from Office 2007/2010 to 2000/2003
    osppsvc.exe - requied to working Office 2007/2010 installer
    mstsc.exe - Remote desktop connection client 7.0

Screenshots

http://galeria.techvortal.pl/Zrzuty%20e ... a%20OS/3.0

Download

https://mega.co.nz/#!WMxWRZAB!TCVsLR9hB ... Fng52S8Bug

http://www.adrive.com/public/Hd5YV7/Sig ... 0%20M6.iso

http://www.4shared.com/file/e5sxhqpo/si ... 30_m6.html

Sigma OS 3.0 M6.iso (1.14GB)
MD5: 66b14d23487205646158148387a2aefd

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

Can this be installed from usb drive?
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

lukaszuk1995
FTP Access

Post by lukaszuk1995 »

Wheatley wrote:Can this be installed from usb drive?
Yes, you can install it from USB drive, just prepare iso image to USB drive with UltraISO :)
http://www.ezbsystems.com/cgi-bin/ikonb ... f=2&t=2883 - here is the tutorial ;)
Intel Core i3-4170 @3.70GHz | MSI B85M-G43 | GeForce GTX 750 Ti | 16 GB RAM Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz | Patriot Blaze SSD 120 GB |

Intel Core2Duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz | Gigabyte GA-945-GZM-S2 | AMD Radeon HD 5450 | 4 GB RAM | Samsung HDD 160 GB |

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

lukaszuk1995 wrote:
Wheatley wrote:Can this be installed from usb drive?
Yes, you can install it from USB drive, just prepare iso image to USB drive with UltraISO :)
http://www.ezbsystems.com/cgi-bin/ikonb ... f=2&t=2883 - here is the tutorial ;)
Thank you! Now installing on my laptop, will report back. It's quite new as well. Let's see if it works.
Edit: Nope. Bsod on first boot, just as in every other pre-reset longhorn build I've tried. Oh well :(
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

urban92
FTP Access

Post by urban92 »

What's specs of this laptop? All pre-reset builds have bsod on ATI Xpress cards.

lukaszuk1995
FTP Access

Post by lukaszuk1995 »

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

urban92 wrote:What's specs of this laptop? All pre-reset builds have bsod on ATI Xpress cards.
It's an Hp 655 notebook. It has an AMD Dual-Core E2-1800 cpu with Radeon 7340 graphics integrated, sata controller is not the problem, as Sigma OS has the SATA driverpacks integrated which have support for the sata controller (xp SP3 canbe installed with them). Any way the BSOD can be fixed? Removing some included video drivers?

Pwned
Donator

Post by Pwned »

The links say "M6", not "Final". Is that normal?

giantsteen
Donator

Post by giantsteen »

Pwned wrote:The links say "M6", not "Final". Is that normal?
he said in the above post that M6 is suitable as the final.

Pwned
Donator

Post by Pwned »

giantsteen wrote:
Pwned wrote:The links say "M6", not "Final". Is that normal?
he said in the above post that M6 is suitable as the final.
Ah, sorry. Haven't noticed that.

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

I will try to install Sigma OS to my laptop from a dvd to see if it has any effect. I doubt it helps but it never hurts to try :)

Lluixhi
FTP Access

Post by Lluixhi »

Wheatley wrote:I will try to install Sigma OS to my laptop from a dvd to see if it has any effect. I doubt it helps but it never hurts to try :)
It works great! This is the most stable mod of 4074 I've seen.
The only problem I noticed (in the short time I was using it), was that the New Hardware Wizard prompts me to install the Via IDE driver, and rundll32.exe promptly crashes. Welp. IE7 works great though, and internet works out of the box, at least on the old Pentium III junker I installed it on :P

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

Lluixhi wrote:
Wheatley wrote:I will try to install Sigma OS to my laptop from a dvd to see if it has any effect. I doubt it helps but it never hurts to try :)
The only problem I noticed (in the short time I was using it), was that the New Hardware Wizard prompts me to install the Via IDE driver, and rundll32.exe promptly crashes. Welp. IE7 works great though, and internet works out of the box, at least on the old Pentium III junker I installed it on :P
I know Sigma OS is great, but it wont work on my laptop. Even installing from dvd did not work...

wolf3d

Post by wolf3d »

Wheatley wrote:
Lluixhi wrote:
I know Sigma OS is great, but it wont work on my laptop. Even installing from dvd did not work...
Same here. I really wanted Sigma to be my secondary OS and, after messing up windows 7 boot, I expected it to be an OS to save me. Sadly, it gave BSOD every time I started it, even in Safe Mode (only with different error message), so I had to find another way to fix my laptop, eventualy restoring Windows 7 and keeping Sigma in VM machine form.

urban92
FTP Access

Post by urban92 »

Sigma OS will not work on any machine that does not work with a pure Longhorn 4074 (excluding SATA problems).