BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 3d, 20h, 44m | CPU: 47% | MEM: 5239MB of 11487MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
So, I've been doing this sort of thing as a hobby for the while now, and reverse engineering is a handy skill to have when working with Betas.

In the interests of educating users, I've therefore started a blog where I will detail not just any hacks I developed, but how I have developed them, in the hope that it will help more users get involved in reverse engineering.

I've started with detailing what went into my Chicago Build 73g Start Menu hack.

I'm going to split the articles into two main categories - Theming (ie, UI Customisation), and Unlocking (ie, new functionality in Betas).

I've got a few subject matters that I'll delve into over time, but suffice to say, Longhorn .NET stuff is probably going to feature rather heavily. I'll probably document the "Big Nav Button" and "Start Button" hacks I developed for Panda's Longhorn themes for Windows 7 as well though. I'm also open to topics, both to investigate and to document, even if they're not my innovation. For example, I may also document how the various red-pill patches for Windows 8 betas worked.

http://reverse.ms/

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:38 pm 
Donator

It's definetly an interesting subject, so I'm looking forward to your articles. ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:38 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
It's interesting that you post these guides, and I'm sure that it will be a great insight to the members here. It's also good to at least see some professional content being posted.

As for the Start Menu in Chicago Build 73g, this is what I personally think:
Personally, I think that it was disabled by default due to it still being officially "Microsoft Confidential". In other words, I believe that it was disabled for the particular beta release (PDC 1993), most likely due to bugs that they didn't want in a public release, so probably, only those who either worked at Microsoft or were very close with Microsoft were allowed to enable it for themselves.

Battler might know more about it than I do (even though I also used to collect these builds as a top priority as he still does), but anyway, I'm sure that it was hidden from the public for a reason, and likely, the Microsoft employees themselves were strictly prohibited from revealing it or otherwise allowing other people to enable it themselves without the company's permission.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:41 pm 
Donator

Yeah, that was most likely the case. It's basically identical to the one in 81, except that some items don't work yet.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:41 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
WinPC wrote:
Personally, I think that it was disabled by default due to it still being officially "Microsoft Confidential". In other words, I believe that it was disabled for the particular beta release (PDC 1993), most likely due to bugs that they didn't want in a public release, so probably, only those who either worked at Microsoft or were very close with Microsoft were allowed to enable it for themselves.

Probably. The case is strengthened by the fact that not all menu items on the new menu actually go anywhere in it yet.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Exactly. And another reason for this is also likely due to press reviews. I mean, at the time, if they revealed it before it was fully functional (especially if they didn't even give the user a choice between the old taskbar and the new taskbar), then it would likely give the beta release (and really the operating system itself) a bad image, not to mention that it would also likely be regarded as buggy, incomplete, and unstable, rather than actually being usable on a daily basis (at least in the opinions of most people), which is I'm sure what Microsoft had intended for this particular release.

The new Start button and Start Menu were also likely covered under a strict Non-Disclosure Agreement at the time, meaning that even most Microsoft employees themselves were almost certainly strictly prohibited from revealing it to the public without the permission of the company itself.

What is most likely is that they tested both setups on actual Windows users themselves, and found that most users preferred the new Start Menu setup, and were working on it for a future release.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
Interesting post, Hounsell. I've been tinkering with RCE for a few years now, with very little results to show for it. I must applaud your efforts in getting these bits into working order :D

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:21 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
UZI180
I have done similar before the leak of IDA 6.1.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:47 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune 5111
While this is an interesting topic and good first article, an explanation where to look for correct file offset and how to get to it in hex editor would have been better instead of searching for a matching pattern. Though the odds are small, it is possible to have several identical bytecode fragments.
Also (it's only my personal preference) I would change the entry point to make explorer load a dll that modifies the executable in memory to make changes. It comes handy if there is need to replace entire functions or adding hooks.
Anyway, thumbs up for writing such tutorials and good luck with next ones.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:33 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Dzeimis wrote:
While this is an interesting topic and good first article, an explanation where to look for correct file offset and how to get to it in hex editor would have been better instead of searching for a matching pattern. Though the odds are small, it is possible to have several identical bytecode fragments.

You're right here. I've actually being doing a matching pattern out of habit for ages, I've literally only just noticed now that I've gone to look for it, that the file offset is in the bottom left hand corner of the hex window in IDA. I'll update my guide soon to fix this.

Dzeimis wrote:
Also (it's only my personal preference) I would change the entry point to make explorer load a dll that modifies the executable in memory to make changes. It comes handy if there is need to replace entire functions or adding hooks.
Anyway, thumbs up for writing such tutorials and good luck with next ones.

For larger changes, or across multiple files, I'd definitely agree with you. For something as minor as this, and in as unusual an environment (a very early Chicago build), I just personally feel the simplicity and definitive nature of a patch is preferable.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Also, the problem with making further changes to the files themselves is that it also ruins the originality. My point here is this: If you want to enable the updated features, you should NOT make any other changes to the files themselves except where absolutely necessary. Otherwise, it just results in a hackjob, rather than a clean modification (that is, it would result in a modification that would almost certainly have been significantly different from what the Microsoft developers themselves would have used).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
WinPC wrote:
Also, the problem with making further changes to the files themselves is that it also ruins the originality. My point here is this: If you want to enable the updated features, you should NOT make any other changes to the files themselves except where absolutely necessary. Otherwise, it just results in a hackjob, rather than a clean modification (that is, it would result in a modification that would almost certainly have been significantly different from what the Microsoft developers themselves would have used).

The whole point of that modification is that it *was* a hackjob, because it wasn't possible any other way.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
What I mean by "clean modification" (as I said above) was the method of modifying the files that would have no doubt been used by the Microsoft developers themselves; that is, simply enabling the said functionality without adding in new functionality or extra files, and without making further changes to the code. Whereas the other way would simply add unnecessary changes, and would thus make it less authentic.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:34 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
The "other" solution here is to not modify the file at all, but to simply write something to modify it in RAM.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Personally, if I had to guess, the developers at Microsoft would have used a resource editor, such as Borland Resource Workshop (or possibly a Microsoft equivalent, if there was one). Either that, or they might have also made changes to the original source code and then recompiled it from there.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
WinPC wrote:
Either that, or they might have also made changes to the original source code and then recompiled it from there.

I think it's obviously this one.

The changes I made to the code could be simply made by changing two lines of code.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:53 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune 5111
Well, the reason why I often use a dll hooked on entry point is that I like to poke at various places of the program, see what variables are passed to functions, how they behave if something is changed somewhere and so on. Also sometimes it is nice to have a possibility to choose which changes I want to apply.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:38 am 
FTP Access

Somewhere in the island that is formerly a U.S. colony.
But how about unlocking Start Screen in Windows 8 Build 7989?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:51 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.5.8
CabaProductions wrote:

I'm not sure if it's possible to unlock the start screen in 7989, In this thread, many users on here attempted to unlock the start screen, But they haven't gotten to the point where it showed the start screen itself, But there is an exe (Windows/System32/SystemSettings.exe) that uses metro and worked on 7989, and even 7955

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:22 am 
FTP Access

Nice guide, and it's a great idea to teach people how to actually DIG into Windows. Reminds me of times when I was poking around system executables with OllyDbg and HexEdit. I'm looking forward to see more. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
MSUser2013 wrote:
CabaProductions wrote:

I'm not sure if it's possible to unlock the start screen in 7989, In this thread, many users on here attempted to unlock the start screen, But they haven't gotten to the point where it showed the start screen itself, But there is an exe (Windows/System32/SystemSettings.exe) that uses metro and worked on 7989, and even 7955

Yes, it's not going to happen.

The framework is all there, but some crucial resources are stored in shsxs.dll up to the Developer Preview, and this has been stripped from the leaked builds. You can recreate some of the functionality though reverse engineering, sure, but whilst we don't have those resources, we'll never be able to reconstruct the start menu in a remotely authentic manner.

Ciastex wrote:
It's a great idea to teach people how to actually DIG into Windows.

Agreed. It's my feeling that it's the sort of thing BA sorely needs more of, and despite not feeling that I'm the best teacher in the world, I equally feel that because I can to an extent, I should do my part in helping others to get started too.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
hounsell wrote:
MSUser2013 wrote:
CabaProductions wrote:

Yes, it's not going to happen.

The framework is all there, but some crucial resources are stored in shsxs.dll up to the Developer Preview, and this has been stripped from the leaked builds. You can recreate some of the functionality though reverse engineering, sure, but whilst we don't have those resources, we'll never be able to reconstruct the start menu in a remotely authentic manner.
From what I've seen and heard, although the early builds contained the actual Modern UI apps and other such functionality (I even believe that I saw the System Settings/Control Panel/PC Settings screen in Build 7989 at some point back in 2011, but my memory is fading), and although they also contained the Metro OOBE (in other words, the redesigned version of the final portion of Setup) and new Modern UI lock screen, they didn't actually contain the actual Start screen itself.

In linuxlove's topic about it, someone here claimed (and tried to prove, if I remember correctly) that the Start screen simply wasn't in the builds themselves until Build 7996 (winmain), and that although the earlier builds had the rest of the functionality, that they didn't have the Start screen for launching apps.

Of course, I'm not 100% certain about this, it's just what I've heard. But, on the other hand, there are mockups from 2010 of the Modern UI, including the Start screen, in case anyone wants to see them. I have them stored on my PC somewhere; I'll need to find them again.

But really, we're not even sure if there even was a Start screen in the early Windows 8 builds, especially since as far as I know, the earliest known demonstration (well, the earliest one that I know of anyway) of the Start screen was from June 1st, 2011, and by that point, Windows 8 was already in the 80xx build range as far as winmain was concerned.

Really, the idea of the Start screen's existence in the early builds at the moment is unverified. On the one hand, there was someone claiming that it didn't exist (off paper) until Build 7996. On the other hand, however, is a mockup of the Start screen from as early as 2010, which suggests that it could have possibly been compiled that early, even though Microsoft has also, as far as I know, produced concepts for projects and ideas well in advance.

Personally, I'm rather doubtful of the Start screen in the early builds myself, however, until we have any real evidence for either side, we'll never know for sure.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:54 pm 
FTP Access

Your topics are very interesting and professional, they explain how to unlock features that are unlocked already in later Windows builds.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Tom's Reverse Engineering Guides        Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:19 pm 
Donator

WinPC wrote:

Actually I agree here. It takes less RAM to take modification in an existing executable or library, rather than import another DLL to it. Even though it's not noticeable. You can also just use the db caves, or whatever people call them, write your own subroutine into it, and patch the code to jump to it and return whenever you want.

I also find the additional DLL method the last thing to do, if everything fails.

Top  Profile