An age-old server battle

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

An age-old server battle

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

I'm developing a php/mysql-based site for a client who are going to host from their Windows Server 2003 server. The client's IT guy has said that I've got the option of installing IIS6 or Apache.

From what I'm reading on the net, IIS6 used to be (2004?) very insecure, but now it's not as bad. However there's still a heap of articles praising Apache for its better security.

Due to the amount of conflicting stuff on the net, I'm not getting anywhere with my decision. So I've decided to throw the question to you guys ... out of IIS or Apache (running on the Windows platform), which would you choose and why? (Please provide specific evidence that backs up your case instead of just saying "___ is more secure/speedy/etc". I don't want this to be a flamewar because of people's personal preferences, I want this to be a rational discussion. Remember fanboyism is a bannable offense. )
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

I can't be bothered searching for evidence but I'd assume IIS6 would be more stable with it being built into Windows 2003. Security I've heard is better now than it used to be, but then again I've never heard of anyone exploit an IIS server.

Go for Apache if you need it to be ultra configurable, but expect it to take a while to get it just right.

Although you stated Apache and IIS, Abyss would be suitable for a lot of applications too, it all depends what it going to be run on it.

Apache
Donator

Post by Apache »

I would choose Apache for obvious reasons but seriously there is evidence here to suggest that Apache is more secure than IIS
|3e|\|

The Number One HTTP Server On The Internet

longview
FTP Access

Post by longview »

You should check out the Secunia advisory site:
Apache 2.2
IIS 6
And compare them yourself.

A quick look over suggest apache has had 6 bugs since 2003 and IIS has had 3 bugs in the same timeframe, make of it what you will.
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X

thenico
FTP Access

Post by thenico »

The usual server for a PHP with Mysql website is Apache.
They are some bug with IIS.
But you can use what you want.
Try lighttpd before, it is a very cool webserver