Specs for a server - help?

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
happy dude
Donator

Specs for a server - help?

Post by happy dude »

Want to get back into the home server thing for a couple of months, unlike my "Kiddies: Computers, The Internet and You" I'll be paying how much it uses in electricity.

Need help with specs, older specs are fine, trying to get the speed:low power usage ratio right.

What it would be doing:
* Hosting a small website
* Running MySQL (using as little memory as possible)
* Running an IRC Server + client
* Running a DC++ Hub
* Recieving and sending alot of data

So yeah, just need some help with what specs I should be aiming for. And please, do not ask me to host an FTP for BA, I only get 10GB/down and 10GB/up a month, you get my drift?

Gnome
Staff

Post by Gnome »

A intel centrino duo laptop.
Not power hungry nor loud.

merty
FTP Access

Post by merty »

Yea.
Just a modernish laptop with a stuffed LCD would do the job for a smallish server.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Heh
I have a 2.4Ghz laptop sitting here unused...with a dead mobo
I don't particularly like leaving laptops on 24/7... so a desktop is what I'm looking for.

If worse comes to worse I'll buy a loldell.

Gnome
Staff

Post by Gnome »

Get a cheep rack/base server off fleebay.
Nice and cheep (And full of flees)

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Get a cheap celeron 2.0ghz pc with 256-512mb ram and a small 40gb hd. That will do the job perfectly. You could get that for around $200.

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

I used a sempron 1.66ghz with 512mb (later upgraded to 1gb to kinda run vista, but not for the server) and an 60gb hard drive. It also was my main computer, so that would most likely be overkill if you were just running a server on it (im gonna sell that pc on ebay soon...)
-Jeff

Chriso

Post by Chriso »

I use a 1700 Celeron with 1024 DDR an a 80gig hdd thats works fine for me

hougtimo
FTP Access

Post by hougtimo »

a nice, cheap setup would be a dual P3 setup.

Good value for money, and good tough processors.

Gnome
Staff

Post by Gnome »

Intel P4.
They are good.
Thats what i recommend intel P4 socket 775

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

I used to have a P3 but I gave it to my uncle.

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

I have a dual P3 board laying around, but one of the processors doesn't have a heatsink. If I removed the processor without the heatsink, would the computer work?
-Jeff

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Jeff wrote:I have a dual P3 board laying around, but one of the processors doesn't have a heatsink. If I removed the processor without the heatsink, would the computer work?
Should do. Won't hurt to try.

Gnome
Staff

Post by Gnome »

Wont harm it.
Only you will have a p 3 not a dual p 3, lol.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Jeff wrote:I have a dual P3 board laying around, but one of the processors doesn't have a heatsink. If I removed the processor without the heatsink, would the computer work?
Most dual boards will work in a single-CPU config, but some (mostly older boards to which yours belongs) require unused sockets to be "terminated", i.e. you'll need a terminator which could be hard to come by. It shouldn't hurt to try it first though.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Out of pure boredom... I've temporarily setup a 200Mhz box as a server I'll give links to it once I fully setup the wireless network card

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

empireum wrote:
Most dual boards will work in a single-CPU config, but some (mostly older boards to which yours belongs) require unused sockets to be "terminated", i.e. you'll need a terminator which could be hard to come by. It shouldn't hurt to try it first though.
OK. I'll try and find a heatsink, but I might as well try it first. It would burn up the CPU within 10 seconds, i've read, if I don't have a heatsink.
Last edited by Jeff on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Jeff

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Jeff wrote:
empireum wrote:
OK. I'll try and find a heatsink, but I might as well try it first. It would burn up the CPU within 10 seconds, i've read, if I don't have a heatsink.
It would burn up in under half a second without a heatsink. Been there and done it. Don't try it.

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

The processors are these: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentium-III-733-256 ... dZViewItem and the board is an A-Open DX34 Plus.
-Jeff

ppc_digger
Donator

Post by ppc_digger »

empireum wrote:
Wouldn't finding a compatible heatsink be easier?

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

ppc_digger wrote:
empireum wrote:
Wouldn't finding a compatible heatsink be easier?
Yes, of course. I just stated that he might need a terminator if he decides to remove one of the CPUs.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Hmm, I think I know what PC I want to get.
Although it is only a P3, it should do the job (I've done all these on a P3 500Mhz before)

* 533Mhz
* 256MB SDRAM (got spare sticks lying around)
* 5.3GB HDD (spare HDD's lying around also)

currently its going for $1 on eBay, and pickup only So I should hopefully get it cheap

Edit: its a loldell.