My attempt at a server

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
hougtimo
FTP Access

My attempt at a server

Post by hougtimo »

Hi,

After clearing up, I discovered I had enough parts to build a primitive system apart from the processor. So I put it all together and ordered a Sempron 2800+ (AM2) from ebay for £15, and it arrived the next day. So I now have this pc, I whacked server 2003 sp1 onto it, and now have it running downstairs. It only has a 20gb hdd for now....but i'll upgrade it asap. Does anyone know how reliable the sempron will be for 24/7 use? Will it last? (It's brand new and was sealed when i got it) also, I have crappy 1mb broadband, but would it be worth my while seting it up as an ftp server for you guys? or would it be to slow?

Cheers

HougTimo

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

As for the CPU, I doubt you'll have any problems with 24/7 if the temperatures are kept in adequate range. As for the ftp, if you have 1MBit/s broadband, this is probably your download speed. What's your upload speed? When people are downloading something from you(r ftp) the upload speed limit applies here.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

The CPU will be fine. Dont worry about running it 24/7. I think your connection is going to be the only drawback. If you can, try and get the speed upgraded to the highest speed you can comfortably afford. This will benefit the server more.

You should be aware of the electricity cost to run the server as well, it will come in at around £0.4 ($0.8) a day, but this can add up over a week or more.

150w for 24 hours at 10p/20c per KWh

£0.36 ($0.72) per 24 hours
£2.52 ($5.04) per week for 24 hours a day
£10.08 ($20.16) per month (28 days) for 24 hours a day
£30.24 ($60.48) per quarter (3 months) for 24 hours a day
£131.04 ($262.08) per year for 24 hours a day

hougtimo
FTP Access

Post by hougtimo »

unfortunately the highest we can get here is 1mb broadband. The max users downloading from me will get is ~5kb/s. Andy...you might have heard of Kingston Communications? Since you don't live far from me (I'm in Hull) and they're rubbish

Also the electricity costs are no problem...this my PC is on 24/7 anyway.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Nope, cant say Ive heard of them. Can you not get NTL broadband?

hougtimo
FTP Access

Post by hougtimo »

Nope...I do belive for NTL you need a BT line. BT don't even operate in Hull, it's Kingston Communication only

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

hougtimo wrote:Nope...I do belive for NTL you need a BT line. BT don't even operate in Hull, it's Kingston Communication only
Isn't NTL cable, where you get phone/broadband/digital TV all down the underground lines rather than the traditional phone lines? I'm always hearing how bad NTL are, but maybe it's hit and miss whether you get good service from them or not.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

NTL does not require a phone line. You get a coaxial cable into the house. They offer 2, 4 and 10mbps services. They are excellent on 2 and 4mbps but their 10mbps suffers with traffic shaping because of high end users using upwards of 300gb/m.

They are excellent and I can vouch for that having used them for the last 4-5 years and only having 2 issues, which were my routers cause, so nothing to do with them.

hougtimo
FTP Access

Post by hougtimo »

Hmmmm...sounds interesting. I'll see if it's available in our area

EDIT :: Just checked on their website, and no, we cannot get it here

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Their website often lies. Look in your street for circular disks next to the walls. If they are there then NTL is probably there. Else they're not.

hougtimo
FTP Access

Post by hougtimo »

nah, there arent. Just been onto the phone to NTL. They say they can't here because the city council here won't let ANY outside communication companies into the city.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

WTF, that suck big time

BTW, does anyone reckon I set up a page explaining how to set up a server? Might prove useful.

DJ 2501
FTP Access

Post by DJ 2501 »

I have read that AMD cpus arnt as stable as Intel when it comes to things like this. I have had serveral servers running 24/7 on intel cpus with no problems.

I have never had an amd cpu before so I'm just relaying to you what I'v read from people who have used them on there comps.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

I have read that AMD cpus arnt as stable as Intel when it comes to things like this. I have had serveral servers running 24/7 on intel cpus with no problems.

I have never had an amd cpu before so I'm just relaying to you what I'v read from people who have used them on there comps.
I'll believe that if someone proves it to me by showing an AMD-based box unable to run 24/7 while an Intel box can – under the same circumstances. There are many servers running AMD (mostly Opteron, now) CPUs with no problems. Even my server with an AMD Geode CPU (which is absolutely not meant to run 24/7) does that fine.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

DJ 2501 wrote:I have read that AMD cpus arnt as stable as Intel when it comes to things like this. I have had serveral servers running 24/7 on intel cpus with no problems.

How can you explain the 279* days uptime of the FTP then? Thats running on an AMD Barton 3000+.

*correct at time of posting

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

@Andy
Good point!

Gnome
Staff

hi

Post by Gnome »

hi ive just built a server it runs on 2.8ghz processor and 510 ram and a 30gb hdd

this is my basic server it runs windows server with no problem

now ive built a new server running on 3.00ghz p4 ht
512 ddr ram dvd drive 80,7 and 4 gigabite harddrive