How to create a Forum?

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Dr Eggman
FTP Access

How to create a Forum?

Post by Dr Eggman »

Ok, all, another question.

This ones for my school, but i'm going to set up a forums, with scastudent as the name. I'd prefer it to be free, but i'll settle for a subdomain. =)

PS. Im really inexperienced with phpBB and all etc., but im willing to learn!!
I am The Eggman! -The Doctor
Like Pictures? Bored? Check out some Photography and "Like" it! Check it out here!

longview
FTP Access

Post by longview »

What? Your old thread wasn't good enough for you?
Let's sperg about hardware
E6410 - i5-560m, 8GB, WXGA+, NVS 3100M, Samsung SSD 830 128GB, WWAN, 9-cell, E-Port Plus Replicator
Desktop - i5-2500k (4.3 GHz TB), 8 GB, HD6950 2GB, 2x24" 1080p, Samsung SSD 830 128GB + 2 TB stripe, Xonar D2X

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

I offer hosting for $10 a month in which I can set up the forum etc for you if you like. Or, let you do it, whichever. Free hosting won't cope with a forum too well as the shared servers are often overloaded.

Apache
Donator

Post by Apache »

When you get your domain, you will need some hosting, most professional hosting packages are cheap and include php support (which is what you will need as most forum packages run on php) and MySQL for the forum database.

You will then need to obtain a forum package such as phpBB, and upload the files to your hosting, phpBB has a really simple and easy to follow setup process, then you can start creating forums etc. and customising it to suit your needs.

Thats it in a nutshell format, any questions then ask
|3e|\|

The Number One HTTP Server On The Internet

Apache
Donator

Post by Apache »

Andy wrote:Free hosting won't cope with a forum too well as the shared servers are often overloaded.
It is possible to run a forum on shared hosting, but only if it is a small forum with a few members etc.
|3e|\|

The Number One HTTP Server On The Internet

Dr Eggman
FTP Access

Post by Dr Eggman »

I'm thinking of getting one with invision power boards, but i'll look into it. My school's principal could pay for it (if we get a cheap one) and he's very good with programming etc. But if i get my own domain eg. www.scastudent.com and how do i attach a forum?

EDIT : The forums are up! I used IPB (Invision) and its very easy.
I am The Eggman! -The Doctor
Like Pictures? Bored? Check out some Photography and "Like" it! Check it out here!

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Just look at www.abyssunderground.co.uk for the guides.