BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 16d, 3h, 54m | CPU: 32% | MEM: 5865MB of 12253MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune, Odyssey, Longhorn, and more        Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
\\shelltest\cloaked
So much passion from everyone! All I ask is for mods to keep an eye on this thread and do whatever you need to do except for closing it! I'd like to be able to have just this one thread to update in regards to this little project of mine, if at all possible. ^^

With that said, I just received another very interesting update from the person who previously replied. I asked him what it was about Longhorn that he disliked the most. This response is VERY telling, and an interesting look into Longhorn from the eyes of those who had to work daily on it. Check it out:

Quote:
Longhorn was depressing because it was clearly not going to work, but upper management was so blinded by the vision that they ignored the engineering realities and pressed on. The lower down you got in the organization the less people believed in Longhorn. Individual developers and testers knew the product was unshippable months before Allchin admitted it.

For example: one item I worked on was to write code that would copy all the Active Directory contacts into WinFS, so that they would be available offline. The problem was that at that time adding one user to WinFS took about 5 seconds (at 100% CPU utilization). That meant that adding all the users in a big company like Microsoft was going to take about a week. By comparison the OAB download from Exchange to Outlook takes just a few seconds.

That meant we were going to need a 200X speed improvement from WinFS just to get this feature up to "very slow" status, but there was no-one driving WinFS performance -- all that work was scheduled for 'later'. In general, all the signs that things were completely broken (bugs, performance, build issues) were ignored or postponed in the hope that we could somehow finish the project before it imploded.

It was fascinating because Longhorn was so incredibly expensive and disastrous. Keeping an engineer employed for a year costs ~$200K-$250K so developing the pre-reset Longhorn code (which was thrown away) cost at least tens of millions of dollars. There are a lot of project management lessons to be learned from the things that went incredibly wrong with Longhorn.

Even though this isn't quite what I had in mind when I started doing what I'm doing, this type of dialogue is truly fascinating to me! Anyway, more as it comes in! =)

-Stephen

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune, Odyssey, Longhorn, and more        Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:56 pm 
Donator

Wow, that's cool. Keep it up. ;)

PS: I'll try not to screw up your topic... *hehe*

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune, Odyssey, Longhorn, and more        Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:23 pm 
Donator

Fanculo (anche conosciuto come Quel Paese)
@ReflectiaX : That's quite interesting. Good luck in the future.
@DeFacto : I'll try too

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune, Odyssey, Longhorn, and more        Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:06 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
\\shelltest\cloaked
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

These are just a small sample of everything encompassed within the following 20+ minute video from 1999 that I just uploaded to YouTube! In it, Microsoft envisions a .NET future beyond the time frame of what became Windows XP. The rumor from back then is that a lot of the visuals for the prototype operating systems you see were from Neptune/Odyssey IUI blue sky research. Either way, this is a really cool video and it goes to show just how much Microsoft's future OS landscape was shaped by this thinking: tablets, mobile, .NET, MCE, MSN, etc. Anyway, check out the video and let's discuss! ^^

-Stephen

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune, Odyssey, Longhorn, and more        Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:38 pm 
Donator

That loooks a lot like MSN Explorer... :o

Anyway, thanks for these. ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune, Odyssey, Longhorn, and more        Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
All Microsoft operating systems!
From what I see, much of it also resembles subsequently released versions of Windows Mobile (at least from what I can see in the video's picture), however, I'm more interested in Microsoft's PC operating systems (nothing against your contribution, which I greatly appreciate).

Also, have you had any luck with your contacts regarding Neptune and/or Odyssey? I understand, though, if you haven't yet - I know that it might take a while to gain anything relating to either project from them, especially considering the schedules of the actual Microsoft people themselves.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune, Odyssey, Longhorn, and more        Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:31 pm 
Donator

As I thought, these concepts are from Whistler era. I saw a similar video before.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Neptune, Odyssey, Longhorn, and more        Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Awesome videos and pictures! A lot of concepts in the video have certainly made it into today's world.

(At about 4:50 you can see some gestures that can be done with the Kinect)

ReflectiaX, do you know when the 1999 video was originally shown? In some conference maybe?

Top  Profile