BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 18h, 30m | CPU: 25% | MEM: 5536MB of 11991MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Custom OS Tips        Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:50 pm 
Donator

Many users are getting annoyed with the number of custom Operating Systems (Primarily Windows modifications) that have been announced on this forum without any intention or skills to complete said project.

Here's a list of tips that should assist you in explaining your project.
- The project's name says a lot about it. Call your project "Windows CodeName ..." and it sounds like you're pretending your Windows mod is a genuine Microsoft product when it's not, and nobody likes a faker.

- Posting a list of project build numbers before you've started is useless. It's impossible to tell which compilation of your project is worth putting out before you start. It also says that you're not taking project planning seriously.

- Make it clear what your project's focus/brand differentiation is, and what you intend to accomplish.

- Consider including a mockup (concept) screenshot or two to show what your end product might look like.

- Make sure your project's goals are feasible. You should be able to accomplish the majority of the project yourself [even if doing so would take far too long].

- Don't start off by trying to recruit other forum members to do your hard work. Nearly all projects involve hard work, and decent hours invested before people anything worthwhile showing off is produced. You're going to put people off your project if you try asking for people to work on your project in the first post.

- If you've got a great concept, do enough work to demonstrate it before posting. People need to see that they will get a return on any time or knowledge they invest into your project.

- Dedicate your time to the project. Floundering between projects just wastes your time, and the time of other members. Same for posts designed to simply draw attention to the OP. If you desert a project you've announced without a good explanation, you probably won't be taken seriously in future.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Read before posting a "Custom OS" thread.        Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:53 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
My own: New Beginning
You know, it's kinda funny, but most, (but certainly not all,) of that wasn't even done by me & yet I'm under the assumption people consider me being, "one of those kinda people."

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Read before posting a "Custom OS" thread.        Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Andrew wrote:
Many users are getting annoyed with the number of custom Operating Systems (Primarily Windows modifications) that have been announced on this forum without any intention or skills to complete said project.

Here's a list of tips that should assist you in explaining your project.
- The project's name says a lot about it. Call your project "Windows CodeName ..." and it sounds like you're pretending your Windows mod is a genuine Microsoft product when it's not, and nobody likes a faker.

- Posting a list of project build numbers before you've started is useless. It's impossible to tell which compilation of your project is worth putting out before you start. It also says that you're not taking project planning seriously.

- Make it clear what your project's focus/brand differentiation is, and what you intend to accomplish.

- Consider including a mockup (concept) screenshot or two to show what your end product might look like.

- Make sure your project's goals are feasible. You should be able to accomplish the majority of the project yourself [even if doing so would take far too long].

- Don't start off by trying to recruit other forum members to do your hard work. Nearly all projects involve hard work, and decent hours invested before people anything worthwhile showing off is produced. You're going to put people off your project if you try asking for people to work on your project in the first post.

- If you've got a great concept, do enough work to demonstrate it before posting. People need to see that they will get a return on any time or knowledge they invest into your project.

- Dedicate your time to the project. Floundering between projects just wastes your time, and the time of other members. Same for posts designed to simply draw attention to the OP. If you desert a project you've announced without a good explanation, you probably won't be taken seriously in future.

AGREE

MASTER260 wrote:
You know, it's kinda funny, but most, (but certainly not all,) of that wasn't even done by me & yet I'm under the assumption people consider me being, "one of those kinda people."

nice reply...pointless

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Read before posting a "Custom OS" thread.        Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:31 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
I totally agree with this.

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Read before posting a "Custom OS" thread.        Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:24 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
yeah i agree with this as well....the amount of "Custom OS's" out there are all pointless if nuthin is going to come of them, most of the projects i cant even be bother paying attention to them because they are of very little interest to me, i think it would be safe to say that at least half and if not most of them never make it anywheres and get fergotten before they even get past the planning stages...

peas
cityboy

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Read before posting a "Custom OS" thread.        Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:11 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
So i guess that my project is right in the rules :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Read before posting a 'Custom OS' thread.        Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Chad Edition/macOS Chad
Same here, just a lot of work to do on the series I am producing at the minute. I've been sidetracked too.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Read before posting a 'Custom OS' thread.        Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Home
dj_cityboy wrote:
yeah i agree with this as well....the amount of "Custom OS's" out there are all pointless if nuthin is going to come of them, most of the projects i cant even be bother paying attention to them because they are of very little interest to me, i think it would be safe to say that at least half and if not most of them never make it anywheres and get fergotten before they even get past the planning stages...

peas
cityboy

it's like make some custom operating system today and after few days, he forget of that project.

Offtopic Comment
all this time that i'm off and i'm seeing very much changes around here...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Custom OS Tips        Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:20 pm 

Favourite OS
good tips
make more tips

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Custom OS Tips        Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:03 am 

Favourite OS
Windows XP Service Pack 3
Most Custom OS people build are just a modification of Windows and place there name all over it.... but you could build on top of the windows kernel (unless its copyrighted) or you could try the linux kernel. :)

http://windowsisos.freeforums.org/index.php Windows ISO's Fourm (My Fourm) (Need Moderators!)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Custom OS Tips        Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
6.2.9600 & 5.2.3790 (R2)
Here's something cool to customize WDP

Link: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/27 ... s-8-a.html

MDL | BetaArchieve | EightForums | x64bit.net

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Custom OS Tips        Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:44 am 
FTP Access

vrosa wrote: