VMWare hanging on boot?

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

VMWare hanging on boot?

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

Just recently, I've noticed that on my laptop when I go to run VMWare 5 workstation, every now and then I'll boot up a virtual machine, and it just hangs on the VMWare logo bios screen. It doesn't get past the Starting... bar, which is quite odd. There's nothing else using my CPU, my machine is far from slow (Core 2 Duo T7200) and I'm pretty sure I don't have a virus (Norton was forced onto me by a system admin at school )

Any ideas? I tried reinstalling and it didn't seem to fix it...
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

I find this happens with me when I have lots of applications open. I think it is scrambling for virtual memory (I can have a 1024 Mem VM with only 1024 physical ram). If you dont think system mem is the problem, drop the virtual memory for that virtual machine down and see what happens.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Did you check if there are any incompatibilities listed with VMware 5 and your CPU? Which 5.x version are you using exactly?