STOP LINKING TO WINWORLD'S DOWNLOADS DIRECTLY!!!

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Locked
stitch
Permanently Banned
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:09 am

STOP LINKING TO WINWORLD'S DOWNLOADS DIRECTLY!!!

Post by stitch »

Sorry for the caps, but please, I'm the one who pays for the server those downloads are on. It's bad enough when WinBoards users bitch about downloads, but when others are hotlinking to them, it's annoying, as the money for that server comes out of my pocket.

So please, stop.

RentedMule
Donator
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:26 pm

Post by RentedMule »

Not to say you don't have a reason to bitch, but come into the 21st century and deny downloading of anything that doesn't come from your site.

stitch
Permanently Banned
Posts: 463
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:09 am

Post by stitch »

We have had very few referer problems, expect for this site.

Bender
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 1524
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Post by Bender »

Some links removed, if you see more, PM me.
Image
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12632
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

Unfortunately hotlinking is not something you can "ban" someone from doing. BA members can hotlink to any site all they like and I have nothing against it. If you don't want people downloading from you then why host the files? Files are there to be downloaded, if you don't want people downloading them, don't make them open to the public. Its as simple as that. If bandwidth is so expensive, find another providor or find somewhere with more initial bandwidth.

The FTP server we host has 1TB of bandwidth and its NEVER gone over 700gb usage despite it being open to anyone to download in the past.

Im sorry for being totally opposite to everyone else but it annoys me when people say "stop downloading my files" when they are plainly open for download anyway.

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator
Posts: 698
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:05 pm
Location: Or-stray-liagh

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

Andy wrote:Unfortunately hotlinking is not something you can "ban" someone from doing. BA members can hotlink to any site all they like and I have nothing against it. If you don't want people downloading from you then why host the files? Files are there to be downloaded, if you don't want people downloading them, don't make them open to the public. Its as simple as that. If bandwidth is so expensive, find another providor or find somewhere with more initial bandwidth.

The FTP server we host has 1TB of bandwidth and its NEVER gone over 700gb usage despite it being open to anyone to download in the past.

Im sorry for being totally opposite to everyone else but it annoys me when people say "stop downloading my files" when they are plainly open for download anyway.
You're missing the point... this is the site owner asking for hotlinking to stop. Whether or not hotlinking is a big deal or not, is not being debated here. Zimmy wants people to stop hotlinking downloads off his site, and so I think we need to respect his request.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12632
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote: You're missing the point... this is the site owner asking for hotlinking to stop. Whether or not hotlinking is a big deal or not, is not being debated here. Zimmy wants people to stop hotlinking downloads off his site, and so I think we need to respect his request.
Yes I know its the site owner, but hotlinking is not against the law. Try telling places like google to "stop hotlinking my site". Why stop the hotlinking but allow a link to the homepage, when they're only going to go and find the download anyway? It defeats the object. Imagine Google telling millions of people to stop hotlinking them. How many of those would listen do you think?

If you want to respect his wishes then do so, but I have every right to post any link I want. It doesn't matter who the owner is. If the owner doesn't like hotlinking, they should use some form of server-side protection to prevent it, just like we do with the images.

rawr
User avatar
FTP Access
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:01 am

Post by rawr »

A compromise might be for people to rehost the files on one of the betaarchive FTPs and link to the rehosted version rather than the winworld version? This could be a 'guideline' that is encouraged if none of the mods wish to enforce it.

A lack of available bandwidth on Zimmy's part is a legitimate issue and I think finding a win-win resolution to this problem is in the best interests of everybody in the community (I know how sad I was to see grabberslasher's FTP go, and I still haven't seen many of the things on it available anywhere else).

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12632
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

rawr wrote:A compromise might be for people to rehost the files on one of the betaarchive FTPs and link to the rehosted version rather than the winworld version? This could be a 'guideline' that is encouraged if none of the mods wish to enforce it.

A lack of available bandwidth on Zimmy's part is a legitimate issue and I think finding a win-win resolution to this problem is in the best interests of everybody in the community (I know how sad I was to see grabberslasher's FTP go, and I still haven't seen many of the things on it available anywhere else).
It would make sense.

alisdair
FTP Access
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 4:29 pm

Post by alisdair »

Andy.... if you dont mind hotlinking....
then why do i get a "no hotlinking" when i submit a picture here and use it as my avatar somewhere else?!

XDude
Donator
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:40 am

Post by XDude »

Some site have their own prevention against hotlinking. Like you cant doenload somethings from certain sites if you were link directly to there, you must vista their site first. Or have seperate accounts and password for downloads located at his site like what andy does.
You can't blame BA just because there are links here, I bet some other people hotlinked your server somewhere else, but you have yet to discover.

Andy
User avatar
Administrator
Posts: 12632
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:47 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Post by Andy »

alisdair wrote:Andy.... if you dont mind hotlinking....
then why do i get a "no hotlinking" when i submit a picture here and use it as my avatar somewhere else?!
No I said why should I not hotlink if you haven't put in measures to stop it? I've put in measures to stop it happening. If you don't want someone to link to your files, use hotlinking protection.

Locked