Safari For Windows

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
FTP Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Jeff
Donator

Safari For Windows

Post by Jeff »

Apple just released safari for windows. Will anyone here use it?

(http://apple.com/safari)
-Jeff

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

I might give it a try, but... TBH, I don't even use Saferi on my Macs, it's either Camino or Firefox there as well.

Might add this is the beta of Safari 3 with is available for Mac OS X 10.4.9 and up and Windows XP/Vista. Probably Leopard will ship with it.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Might be worth a look... Downloading Now

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Apple's Windows software tends to suck, so I'd be surprised if this is any good - iTunes isn't bad functionality-wise but is a little slow (it actually feels better/loads quicker on my G3 Mac than my P4HT PC!), and QuickTime is slow, as well as the plugin seeming to usually crash my Firefox/Vista setup!

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

I installed it and look what happened,

Strange, its actually english but all the letters are mixed up. So if i type s, it comes up with u. this only affects this program, so its not a problem with my PC.

longview
FTP Access

Post by longview »

Allright Apple folks, I'll try it. But you'll have to pry my Opera from my cold dead start menu top.

Alternative, directors cut: But only so I can see how much it sucks.
--
Yeah, the director sucks.

Ninja edit: Safari+QuickTime for Windows XP or Vista

Apple fails at not sucking in the Windows case.

And what's the deal with 256 mb requirements, Opera will run in 64 mb, at least 8.0 did.

Oh well, the servers are fast, WONDER WHY!

Update from BYOB discussion:
Ravager wrote:everyone with windows will use safari just like how everyone with windows uses itunes and quicktime
That sums it up.
Last edited by longview on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

casablanca
FTP Access

Post by casablanca »

Tried it out, and within a minute the memory usage climbed to 80 MB. Pages load fast, but they really need to work on that memory usage...

Jeff
Donator

Post by Jeff »

I just installed it and I think I will be staying with firefox...
-Jeff

Peteski
FTP Access

Post by Peteski »

im currently using it. i see no advantages of it apart from some glowy controls, page rendering is the same as FF or IE, the memory usage is collosal (70MB or so for a single page) and the fonts look terrible.

oh well, that was fun. back to FF for me.

idontknow
FTP Access

Post by idontknow »

Aside from the memory issue, I find it to be a fairly good browser. I mean Flash works (probably stole the plugin from Opera or something...) I actually like the fonts . Also I get some of those nice Mac animations on Windows I will be keeping this, but won't be using it too much.

I really wanted to see that animation on Windows. I don't know if iTunes has it cause I never used it...

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

I ... don't understand what their motive for doing this is? Why would anyone want Safari on Windows, when there's Firefox and Opera already? I just don't get it? *shakes head*
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

merty
FTP Access

Post by merty »

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:I ... don't understand what their motive for doing this is? Why would anyone want Safari on Windows, when there's Firefox and Opera already? I just don't get it? *shakes head*
Apple's motive for doing this is probably to compete with Swift and then also for web developers you don't need to have a mac to test their webpages.

longview
FTP Access

Post by longview »

pr0gram the pr0grammer wrote:I ... don't understand what their motive for doing this is? Why would anyone want Safari on Windows, when there's Firefox and Opera already? I just don't get it? *shakes head*
Apple wants developers for the iPhone and they're using a widgets-ish appoach. Safari allows windows devs to develop for the iPhone.

Still, an API would be much faster and simpler.

My source here is dvorak.org/blog

merty: I doubt Apple cares about the Swift browser

ppc_digger
Donator

Post by ppc_digger »

longview wrote:And what's the deal with 256 mb requirements, Opera will run in 64 mb, at least 8.0 did.
On XP? Or was it on Vista?

Don't forget that it's a beta release. You all remember how bad Deer Park sucked during its alpha/beta phase.

kichimi
Donator

Post by kichimi »

Wow lucky! i don't even get to see text!

and omg! have apple changed their site? thats been the same for as far as i can remember!
The better candies are in the cage

longview
FTP Access

Post by longview »

ppc_digger wrote:On XP? Or was it on Vista?
2000 Pro, this was in 2005 and I wanted to see if it would run.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

kichimi wrote:Wow lucky! i don't even get to see text!

and omg! have apple changed their site? thats been the same for as far as i can remember!
1) Seeing as your also from the UK, im wondering if its a problem with the English UK language pack.

2) The apple site has changed.

fzajac
Donator

Post by fzajac »

Nice. I love the design but it works just... terrible. Sites loads much slower than in FF or even IE7.

And it doesnt display all text:

milatchi
Donator

Post by milatchi »

I've played around with it for a couple of days. It's okay, needs some polishing in some areas. I don't think it will be replacing Firefox on my XP box anytime soon.
IRIX enthusiast | OSBA refugee

ddrmaxromance
FTP Access

Post by ddrmaxromance »

Marketing schemes of course! IE owns most of the browser market, then Firefox, then Safari, then "other browsers" (like Opera). Basically, Apple wants to replace Firefox, and then probably IE.

Another reason could be when using Windows XP/Vista on a Mac. Rather than run IE6/7, the user could run Safari in both OS environments securely.
Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

Firefox + OS = security.
No need for another slow browser, in my opinion.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

spaceship9
FTP Access

Post by spaceship9 »

binaryfreedom.us/portable
you can download Safari Portable there so you don't need to install anything and waste time...

IMHO it's OK... Firefox is still FTW, however now I can have Opera, Firefox, IE and Safari on the same OS... dunno WHY... each has it's perks, and I prefer Firefox's...

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

spaceship9 wrote:IMHO it's OK... Firefox is still FTW, however now I can have Opera, Firefox, IE and Safari on the same OS... dunno WHY... each has it's perks, and I prefer Firefox's...
This has also been possible on Mac OS X. All browsers except of IE, which can be run with Darwine, are available as native Mac versions.

Le Master

Post by Le Master »

A lot of people are having issues with Safari. One of the biggest is empty menus and no text anywhere. After tinkering with it for a while I realized it had to do with the Lucida Grande font Safari uses. If you don't have it installed on your machine, you won't get any text.

I'm sure you all have heard about the critical security issues released just hours after the beta went up for download.