BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 102d, 18h, 35m | CPU: 66% | MEM: 6912MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:31 pm 
FTP Access

How predictable. Y'know, I don't see why they can't stick with the codenames. They're so much cooler than 95, 98, 2000, 2003, 2008, etc, etc. NT, XP and Vista are exceptions, but you've also got the Office releases that follow the 'boring' naming convention too (Office 95, 97, 2000, 2003 (XP)).

Longhorn, Neptune (yea I know it wasn't released - but the name is still cool), Memphis, Hydra, Whistler, etc. So much better imho.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:38 am 
Donator

i prefer longhorn than vista

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:22 am 
FTP Access

There's now a logo out for Server 2008 - pretty much the one you'd expect, it's in the same form as all the other current MS logos:

From MS TechNet France

Is it just me or is it slightly strange how the new name is popping up all over the place before they officially announce it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:10 pm 
Donator

The logo doesn't look bad :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:59 am 
FTP Access

im going to download the beta. what version is the most powerfull? is it datacenter or enterprise?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:11 am 
FTP Access

Datacentre is the flagship edition of Windows :) Though it's not actually that different to Enterprise. Standard, Enterprise and Datacentre are actually all on the same DVD image, like all the editions of Vista are on one disc, so by downloading one you will have them all - just request the key(s) for the version(s) you want to install from that image.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:59 pm 
Donator

I like the Webedition most, becuse this Edition includes all I need.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:37 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
Datacentre is the flagship edition of Windows :) Though it's not actually that different to Enterprise. Standard, Enterprise and Datacentre are actually all on the same DVD image, like all the editions of Vista are on one disc, so by downloading one you will have them all - just request the key(s) for the version(s) you want to install from that image.

After all, Datacenter x64 of Server 2008 might be the only edition to include Windows Virtualization, which might be a substantial difference for some... You don't have to use a key to install any of the editions, just don't enter one and select the desired :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:04 am 
Donator

Standard edition is fine for me. Enterprise is nice, but I hardly even use 10% of the features. Datacenter is abit different from Enterpsie, but is a cool edition.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:40 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
After all, Datacenter x64 of Server 2008 might be the only edition to include Windows Virtualization, which might be a substantial difference for some... You don't have to use a key to install any of the editions, just don't enter one and select the desired :)

Is that any better than Virtual Server or VMware ESX then? But it's only in the 64-bit version? :( MS seem so keen to push everyone to 64-bit you'd think they owned stock in Intel or something :evil:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:44 am 
Donator

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
empireum wrote:

Is that any better than Virtual Server or VMware ESX then? But it's only in the 64-bit version? :( MS seem so keen to push everyone to 64-bit you'd think they owned stock in Intel or something :evil:

It's something Xen-based, so quite different when talking abut paravirtualization but similar when it comes to full virtualization to ESX or VS. As for it being present in x64 only, (almost) all processors supporting VT are x64.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:53 am 
FTP Access

So it's like Xen but for Windows hosts? Is the performance of this much better than hardware-assisted regular virtualisation then?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:02 am 
Donator

Haven't really "used" Xen, so can't say much, but paravirtualization which is only possible with Linux, OpenSolaris (?) and *BSD guests so far (because it requires a special kernel and kernel modules) was pretty quick on my machine. Full virtualization (which uses Qemu's technology) was slower than VMware Server but I couldn't do much testing because Xen in full virtualization mode causes intermittent reboots on Apple hardware. This was all done on Linux as host OS, of course.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:23 am 
FTP Access

So Xen runs *nix and Windows guests, but Windows ones perform poorly? So "Windows Virtualisation" will presumably be a very fast way of virtualising Windows as it'll be like Xen but with proper support for Windows guests? Although I doubt that virtualisation is going to be slow exactly, whatever you're using, if you're running it on a 64-bit DataCentre server... :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:47 am 
FTP Access

psiren wrote:
How predictable. Y'know, I don't see why they can't stick with the codenames. They're so much cooler than 95, 98, 2000, 2003, 2008, etc, etc. NT, XP and Vista are exceptions, but you've also got the Office releases that follow the 'boring' naming convention too (Office 95, 97, 2000, 2003 (XP)).

Longhorn, Neptune (yea I know it wasn't released - but the name is still cool), Memphis, Hydra, Whistler, etc. So much better imho.

Actually, Office XP and 2003 are 2 different products.

Top  Profile  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:12 am 
My oppinion's to give Longhorn a chance. Some agree to Vista, some to Longhorn Server, why not? Who cares? But I for myself prefer Home Server. ;-)

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:46 am 
Donator

my beta 3 kit arrived (finaly)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:19 pm 
FTP Access

ToastyCheesy wrote:
Actually, Office XP and 2003 are 2 different products.

Spot the deliberate mistake! Yup, you're right. Should be 'Office 95, 97, 2000, 2002 (XP), 2003 and 2007'. But naming the office product the same as the OS is still unimaginative!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:41 am 
Does it realy worth the download?
how much is it different from the previous betas?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:59 pm 
i downloaded this 1st time useing server 2008 what do u think so far worth a look?

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:58 pm 
Donator

i like it. Its very fast and stable.

Top  Profile
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2