Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) Released

New news and release discussion.
Shadcr
FTP Access

Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) Released

Post by Shadcr »

New version of popular Ubuntu Linux (and of course Kubuntu and other variants) is out.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

ddrmaxromance
FTP Access

Post by ddrmaxromance »

Sounds great, but I still only have 6.22 LTS or whatever on a disc. What are some of the major improvements with this build?
Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Shadcr
FTP Access

Post by Shadcr »

According to Ubuntu's site, 7.04 has improved networking and multimedia features and "a ground-breaking Windows migration assistant". And of course it has new versions of Linux kernel, Gnome and OpenOffice.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

I've been running 7.04 Beta (currently doing the upgrade to the released state) for a while on my MacBook and I have to say I am very impressed with the hardware support; almost everything including wireless was working out of the box, unlike with 6.06 LTS and 6.10. So, for Intel Mac users, 7.04 is definately worth a try.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

empireum wrote:I've been running 7.04 Beta (currently doing the upgrade to the released state) for a while on my MacBook and I have to say I am very impressed with the hardware support; almost everything including wireless was working out of the box, unlike with 6.06 LTS and 6.10. So, for Intel Mac users, 7.04 is definately worth a try.
Im going to try this on my laptop and see how it copes. I need to reinstall XP anyway so I might as well try ubuntu first. I usually have problems with bad disaply resolutions on install meaning I can't even try to install it but we shall see...

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Seems there's a pretty high demand on the servers and the repository mirrors. I'm getting only 15~30kB/s doing the upgrade directly off the web... That's going to take some time...

edit: Update is done now (from 7.04 Beta to 7.04 Final). Kernel is 2.6.20-15, Gnome version is 2.18, OpenOffice version is 2.2.0 IIRC.

netman85am
FTP Access

Post by netman85am »

Just to mention, Ubuntu 7.04 discs are now available from ShipIt

ddrmaxromance
FTP Access

Post by ddrmaxromance »

Just downloaded it. I might install it next weekend though.
Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

ziebal88

Post by ziebal88 »

netman85am wrote:Just to mention, Ubuntu 7.04 discs are now available from ShipIt
Thanks. I shiped CD's, but I think better and faster idea is download them...

jimmsta
Donator

Post by jimmsta »

I've been running this for 3 weeks. Had to download over 350 patches to update the beta release to the final, but that was done with in about 10 minutes.

Just this past weekend, I got beryl running on the system, and I must say, it's sweet. I still have yet to play games on the system, despite the fact that I have cedega.

spaceship9
FTP Access

Post by spaceship9 »

well, in edition to that cedega or whatever, be sure to try wine...
because really linux has SO many stuff in every other category, but Photoshop, Flash Studio and Dreamweaver simply don't have opensource equivelents...

If you're havin' IE problems, I feel bad for you, son - I got 99 problems but a browser ain't one. - DJ Danger Mime

include email

WeirdEars
Donator

Post by WeirdEars »

I have used Ubuntu in the past. It's quite good. I might give this a try in VPC...

paddynator

Post by paddynator »

I already tested it, It's so amazing, wouldn't the well-know games be produced for Windows, I'd install it full on my HDD to test and learn completely.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

paddynator wrote:I already tested it, It's so amazing, wouldn't the well-know games be produced for Windows, I'd install it full on my HDD to test and learn completely.
Why don't you dual-boot with Windows and Linux, then? That way, you can get the best of both worlds.

edit: And for these satisfied only with the bleeding edge, you can upgrade to the development branch (7.10) already. If you do that, be prepared for some fiddling though.