Some OS downloads

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
Tootles
Donator

Some OS downloads

Post by Tootles »

I've got a couple of OS files on my website, hopefully with some more to come soon, like Windows 2, 3, 3.1, etc...

I can imagine that most of everybody here either already has most of these files or can get them easily enough, however, I have tried to put a couple of curiosities there, for example, the Chicago 73 boot logo, and a Chicago 122 boot disk (which is a curiosity because it shows the graphical logo as it boots, even though it has not GUI).

I've got Chicago 58 on there, along with things like Windows 1.01 and MS-DOS 3.21, and the original Linux 0.99 thing. Also, in case anyone either has an old PPC-512/640 lying around, or just wants a laugh, my 720K Windows 1 bootable's there (Windows 1 does look rather good on a PPC-512's screen - it looks at home). Please have a look, and please tell me if anything there's wrong (I'm aware that the Chicago 58s.zip file does not work, which is why the VHD file's there. I want to make an ISO file, test it, and then put that there instead of the zip file. ). Thanks.

The Distractor

Post by The Distractor »

Windows 1.0? You mean Windows 1.01 right?

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

Nope, haha, look at the page. I've just updated it a little, so it should be a little clearer what everything is. But both are there. After a fashion.

ddrmaxromance
FTP Access

Post by ddrmaxromance »

The Distractor wrote:Windows 1.0? You mean Windows 1.01 right?
Yeah, what happened to whats-his-name releasing the actual copy of windows 1.0?

Chicago 58s was the first beta I collected. Brings back so many memories.
Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

I searched for weeks for MSBob, then I found OSBA... Brings back memories.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

moonlit
FTP Access

Re: Some OS downloads

Post by moonlit »

marktuson wrote:Also, in case anyone either has an old PPC-512/640 lying around, or just wants a laugh, my 720K Windows 1 bootable's there (Windows 1 does look rather good on a PPC-512's screen - it looks at home).
...I miss my PPC512...

*sob* *sob*

Bertie Bott

Post by Bertie Bott »

I remember looking for OS betas, specifically Windows 95 and I found OSBA! Boy was I excited

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Yes, I think Chicago and Longhorn were the first ones I looked for too - I looked for Longhorn for literally months and eventually got 5048 off a torrent a few days after it was released at WinHEC '05 (I'd tried getting 4074 previously but all the torrents seemed dead, I guess because it was an old build by the time I was looking for it and everyone who wanted it had got it long ago) - this was long before I discovered OSBA There was just something I found very intriguing about Chicago, which is why that's the other one that I was after, especially after I'd seen screenshots of 58s and how it is so different to the final 95 and is like a cross between 3.1 and 95