BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 10h, 14m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 5732MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Bust Windows Myths        Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:08 pm 
according to KenOaths idea im gonna open a thread here to bust as much windows myths as possible. for me personally its pretty anoying if people just copy lies over and over again, the most annoying one is that neptune was planned as "Windows 2000 Home Edition" or "Personal", thats total crap, neptune was planned as 2000 successor, well ok, lets come to the myths actually.

Ill start with Nashville since thats really often copied too. Nashville was NOT planned as Windows 96, the build 999 does NOT say windows 96, the one who does is a mod by KenOath (not a fake, a mod), nashville is a beta for the internet explorer 4, for totally integrate it into windows 95. nothing else.

georgia was NEVER windows ME, anyone in OSBA missunderstood georgia as ME, but it isnt, the codename for windows ME was Millennium, nothing else, i dont know it for sure but i think that georgia was the codename for the lighter windows 2000/me style.

neptune was NEVER windows 2000 home or personal, it was not planned as and it should never be it. neptune was a planned 2000 successor and really nothing else

Windows 1.x's codename, no, it wasnt "interface manager", windows 1.x and simply had no codename, microsoft planned to call it "Interface Manager" as final name, but at late beta status they renamed it to windows because most programmers always said windows, but it just had NO codename.

also cairo was NEVER the codename of NT 4.0 itself, cairo always was the codename of the GUI for nt 4 and not nt 4 itself

windows 2000's codename was NOT nt 5, microsoft planned to release it with the name NT 5 so they labelled the early builds with that, but that doesnt mean it was the codename, the Real windows 2000 codename was memphis nt

the longhorn concept videos on youtube, lots of people still think their real and ask for builds, theyre NOT real builds, just concepts

was there anything else? yes, but im too lazy to write it down now, ill do it later

PostPost subject:        Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:11 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Good idea :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:57 am 
Donator

Is this for any Windows myths or just beta ones? I was reading one time, I don't really have anything in front of me to back it up, but I did read that contrary to what most people say, alpha versions of Longhorn/Vista had features that were not in OS X, which ended up being in Vista RTM. OS X had updates that added features which then showed up in Vista, and people say that Microsoft ripped features from OS X for Vista. This article I was reading said that the features were actually in the Longhorn/Vista alpha/betas and other Microsoft software (possibly from software developed in Microsoft Research) before OS X was released or had any of those features. I really don't care to look myself, but if someone else already knows, I'd love to hear it. I'd love to have a good retort to those some of those stereotypically smug Apple users that claim everything Microsoft makes is ripped from Apple.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
are you going to provide sources/evidence for these statements, how does anyone know if all this is true? i still believe that neptune was the beginnings of windows mce.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:56 am 
betaluva wrote:
are you going to provide sources/evidence for these statements, how does anyone know if all this is true? i still believe that neptune was the beginnings of windows mce.

and sorry, i never heard about it being "MCE", what a weird idea

PostPost subject: Re: Bust Windows Myths        Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:45 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Namronia wrote:
also cairo was NEVER the codename of NT 4.0 itself, cairo always was the codename of the GUI for nt 4 and not nt 4 itself

And the related technologies. Cairo was a complete operating system whose design overfaced the programmers, which is why it was never released.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
Namronia wrote:
betaluva wrote:

why is it weird? its much more than a home edition.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:11 am 
FTP Access

Let's see, oh, Aero Diamond never existed.

And Cairo is NOT the codename for NT 4 anything. It was a completely different branch of NT technologies that began development shortly before the release of 3.1 that had stuff like relational database on top of a filesystem (the late WinFS). However the design team was branched off to work on what became the Chicago (and therefore later NT) UI.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:24 am 
betaluva wrote:
Namronia wrote:
betaluva wrote:

why is it weird? its much more than a home edition.

well, nt5 ("memphis nt") was planned to release in 98, so dont see it as 2000 home edition, this plan is old, may it was the home edition of the successor of memphis nt, but there was no clue for a professional version all over

TheWahbinator wrote:
Let's see, oh, Aero Diamond never existed.

And Cairo is NOT the codename for NT 4 anything. It was a completely different branch of NT technologies that began development shortly before the release of 3.1 that had stuff like relational database on top of a filesystem (the late WinFS). However the design team was branched off to work on what became the Chicago (and therefore later NT) UI.

aero diamond was the codename for vistas media afaik, but im not sure

yeah, without one thing, im not sure that OFS merged to winfs

PostPost subject:        Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:58 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222B
First of all, my un-touched copy of Nashville also says Windows 96 in the un-install box, and both your documents, AND a Chinese article tpemail once found, say, that Nashville also had more NT-imported code in its kernel, so Nashville was originally the code-name of Windows 96, and only later, it became the code-name of Internet Explorer 4.0, after the new kernel was cancelled, and all, that was left, was the new desktop.

Second of all, Odyssey was one version of the successor to Memphis NT Professional, but later, it became the code-name of the third branch of NepTune, where the home edition was Neptune, as we know it, then, there was Neptune Professional, and the server variants, and in the end, Odyssey, which had some unique features (I don't know, which, yet, have yet to ask my contact for more details about it), that the three Neptune versions don't have.

Yes, your documents say, that Odyssey was just an experimental project, but being experimental does NOT preclude being Windows. Cairo was also an experimental project, yet, it was still Windows in any aspect, and by claiming Odyssey was only experimental, your documents actually confirm, what my contact is saying - namely, that Odyssey was NEVER supposed to be Neptune Professional, and Sever (this claim was spread around by a common friend of mine, and my contact's, who, in all the hurry mis-interpreted the line, that Millennium NT (another cancelled project, predecessor of both the Neptune series, AND the Odyssey project), could be upgraded to either Neptune, or Odyssey, and told all of us, that Odyssey was the Professional/Server counterpart to Neptune, and, that Millennium was supposed to be its planned name), but a separate product, which would become either a fourth branch of Neptune, Neptune's successor (interim, between Neptune, and Blackcomb), merged into Blackcomb, or even cancelled, and cancelled it eventually was.
Odyssey was nothing, but an experimental version of NT, with un-defined purpose, AND future. ;)

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ  YIM
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Namronia wrote:

Wow, Computers sell for over $1000 in mid-range? When my father's first PC was bought in 2000 it was only several hundred dollars for the monitor, the PC, speakers and printer. Anyway, Windows Odyssey was never EVER complied right? Because I saw a splash image of it in a youtube video...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:26 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
xboxkrnld.15574
What's NT Asteroid and NT Triton?
Edit: Ahh, found the document you got those images from
(http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowacon ... X07297.pdf)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
I believe NT Asteroid is the codename of the first server pack of Windows 2000. Triton I have no idea.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
xboxkrnld.15574
Thlump wrote:
I believe NT Asteroid is the codename of the first server pack of Windows 2000. Triton I have no idea.

Only thing I've heard of Triton is that its the name of IE's engine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:46 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
SVR 2012R2/Win10
Here's an archive of all the emails/confidential information released during the Microsoft Anti-Trust trial: http://antitrust.slated.org/ - there's lots of information and codenames thrown about, from the internal sources at Microsoft.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:07 am 
Leon wrote:
What's NT Asteroid and NT Triton?
Edit: Ahh, found the document you got those images from
(http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowacon ... X07297.pdf)

nt asteroid was 2000 sp1, triton was the first planned service pack for neptune

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Leon wrote:

IE's Engine is called 'Trident' rather than Triton.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:38 am 
hounsell wrote:
Leon wrote:

IE's Engine is called 'Trident' rather than Triton.

i know, but triton is a moon of neptune so that makes sence ;)

PostPost subject: Re: Bust Windows Myths        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:55 pm 
Donator

Namronia wrote:
Ill start with Nashville since thats really often copied too. Nashville was NOT planned as Windows 96, the build 999 does NOT say windows 96, the one who does is a mod by KenOath (not a fake, a mod), nashville is a beta for the internet explorer 4, for totally integrate it into windows 95. nothing else.

Windows 96 existed. I saw it long before joining the beta community. My uncle had it (and yes, it did say Windows 96 on the boot screen; it was probably something later than build 999). I asked him about it a few years ago. Unfortunately, he doesn't have it anymore.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:27 pm 
I actually have a copy of Windows 99 although i thikn it is a modded windows 98 before it went 98se

PostPost subject:        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:49 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Adam: We can safely say that Windows 99 is busted, its a hack, but who made it?
Jamie: Its made by Air101, its looks good, but its a fake.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Bust Windows Myths        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:50 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
xboxkrnld.15574
ppc_digger wrote:
Namronia wrote:

Windows 96 existed. I saw it long before joining the beta community. My uncle had it (and yes, it did say Windows 96 on the boot screen; it was probably something later than build 999). I asked him about it a few years ago. Unfortunately, he doesn't have it anymore.

Are you sure it wasn't just a modified version of 95?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bust Windows Myths        Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:54 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Leon wrote:
ppc_digger wrote:
Namronia wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't just a modified version of 95?

Windows 96 is a minor update for Windows 95. Why Windows 96? Because 12 years ago Memphis was known as Windows 97 and then 98.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Bust Windows Myths        Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:53 am 
ppc_digger wrote:
Namronia wrote:

its a mod by kenoath, usually they just say "96" in uninstall menu which is a typo

PostPost subject:        Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:05 am 
Donator

DjRob wrote:
Adam: We can safely say that Windows 99 is busted, its a hack, but who made it?
Jamie: Its made by Air101, its looks good, but its a fake.

Wha? Call people by their nicks not their names

Top  Profile