More things hidden in Explorer.

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
James
Staff

More things hidden in Explorer.

Post by James »

I just found this.

717, "This pre-release version of \"Internet Explorer 4.0\" Desktop/Explorer has expired. Please update to the latest release of \"Internet Explorer 4.0\" from WWW.MICROSOFT.COM"

^The hell? IE 4? In Windows XP's Explorer??
James *~*~* BA Moderator | Alternate History writer

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

That error appears in some of the Windows 98 betas when you run them with today's date set - presumably they just haven't had a reason to remove it, there's a lot of legacy code/icons etc in Windows that isn't used any more but has just been left over.

James
Staff

Post by James »

MSFT is lazzzzzy

4512jth
Donator

Post by 4512jth »

check out moricons.dll. it has nearly every windows icon starting at Windows 3.11, i think.

James
Staff

Post by James »

, is that dll in Vista?

4512jth
Donator

Post by 4512jth »

i think so. . . ..

Ensign Joe
FTP Access

Post by Ensign Joe »

indeed this file still exists:

Funny that around those 50 3.11 icons there is the "Windows Catalog" icon and various Office icons (they are not in the original moricons.dll from 3.11 of course)

And an early version of the Firefox icon is also present

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

Windows XP has this file too, but most of the icons are only the MS-DOS one and a few icons that suggest that that program runs in MS-DOS.

Vista Ultimate R2
FTP Access

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

There's tons of ancient stuff pretty near the surface of Vista too, just look at that Progman icon from 3.1! -

Why Grpconv.exe is still included I don't know, it's the app used during 3.x upgrades that converts Progman groups to Start Menu shortcuts. It also seemed to be used during the installation of 9x as you saw it coming up during the setup to make the shortcuts even when not upgrading from 3.x, for some reason Setup seems to install Progman groups and then convert them to Start Menu shortcuts, though I doubt that is the case still in Vista!

I really hate the way they leave so much ancient stuff so visible, they seem to think things like icons are superfluous but it really does make Vista feel unfinished and unpolished. For instance, here are some icons that are clearly visible in Vista's System32 folder, you don't even need to go looking in DLLs where they aren't expecting you to look:

And yes, even 3.1 icons there, in a 2008 64-bit "Ultimate" operating system...

I'm afraid you do have to compare these with the gorgeous icons that some OSes offer, and more important offer consistently throughout the entire OS even in system folders where they might not expect you to look very often, eg:

(just an example of an icon buried in a system folder that is still gorgeous and not from some 16-bit relic from 15 years ago...)

QuiescentWonder
Donator

Post by QuiescentWonder »

Those icons are really bringing me back...

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

Progman.exe is still required in XP, because it handles things like DDE and Win31 support. For example, some programs require to be loaded from progman.exe (if by command line, eg "progman.exe mygame.exe")

Also it has something like 51 icons in it, which are used by some programs.

Note however, that you can not create groups in progman.exe

Likewise moricons.dll is used by some older programs to create desktop icons. It _never_ served any function except to provide icons for different apps.

Ensign Joe
FTP Access

Post by Ensign Joe »

But it is stupid in Vista that the "Change icon" dialog automatically let you select icons from Shell32.dll where only the old ugly XP icons are in it.

They should let you choose icons from the imageres.dll by default...

Frozenport
FTP Access
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

The only people selecting different icons are tech departments who are getting complains that people don't know what the new icons do
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart