BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 1d, 0h, 33m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 4180MB of 10799MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How to set up a server?        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:06 am 
Donator

Ok, so i have a computer right now running Windows Server 2003. I need it to be able to access a computer running xp home. How do I do this? I cannot seem to figure it out as of now, and it won't let me access my workgroup (*****home). Any help is appreciated.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:14 am 
Donator

You mean you want your Server 2003 machine to access files on an XP Home box? Are the PCs physically connected, can you ping each other? Are the workgroup names identical? Normally, you share the files on the "server" in the file's/folder's properties window and create a user account on the "server" that matches the one on the client, as the client will login to the server using these credentials. Theb, you usually access your files on the client by entering "\\<server>\<share>". At least that's how it works on all NT-based Windows versions including XP Pro IIRC, don't know if Home is different in that aspect.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:17 am 
FTP Access

empireum wrote:
create a user account on the "server" that matches the one on the client, as the client will login to the server using these credentials.

I think if you've got file sharing enabled and don't set restrictions/passwords etc on accessing files, any user should be able to log in to a shared folder. Share some folders by going into the propeties of them and selecting the option to share it, then on the other machine type two backslashes followed by the name of the PC you want to access in Start > Run, and with any luck you should see a list of all the folders that you shared.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:56 am 
Windows 2003 Server and Windows XP Home isnt a good pair tbh. Its just as Windows 2003 Server as many features such as the file sharing stated by Vista Ultimate RC2. XP Home can not understand these features. I would suggest upgrading to XP Pro. I had a PC with XP Home on my network when I introduced by Windows 2003 Server I had tons of problems, since upgrading to XP Pro all problems are sorted, plus with an XP Pro system you could run a domain.

Anyway have you got any internet protection running like Norton or even just the XP/2003 Firewall. I know from previous problems the XP Internet Connection Firewall can block network sharing on non SP2 machines, don't know about SP2 versions.

PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:05 am 
Donator

Anyway, it should be possible to access an XP Home box, regardless of the OS the PC trying to access runs. It should just be a matter of using the appropriate protocol and setting up sharing. I'd also check the firewall settings as suggested.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject:        Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:09 am 
Yea empireum your right, also check that the correct clients are enabled in properties of your network connection.

They are:

Client For Microsoft Networks
File and Printing Sharing For Microsoft Networks

BTW: This is on your XP Home box, if they are all there I will look on my server for list of stuff that should be there as I cant think of it off the top of my head...