BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 14h, 46m | CPU: 43% | MEM: 6662MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How can i use .mdf file on a VM?        Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:20 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7077 Korean
How can I convert them to .iso?
Or can I just dump .iso on Alchol120%

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How can i use .mdf file on a VM?        Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP Media Center Edition
You can use a tool like PowerISO to convert .MDF files into .ISO files.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How can i use .mdf file on a VM?        Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:38 pm 
FTP Access

There are many ways to convert mdfs to iso. The most popular ones probably are using a tool called mdf2iso or just mounting them in a virtual drive and creating an iso dump of that

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How can i use .mdf file on a VM?        Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Android 2.3.7
If you're trying to use MDF image on virtualization software like VMware, VirtualBox or Virtual PC, I wouldn't recommend converting MDF to ISO unless the software that emulates CD drive allows only mounting ISO files.

Instead, mount MDF image on Alcohol 120% on virtual drive and assign it to CD drive in virtualization software.

If you cannot use virtual CD drives like in PCem or 86box (as far as I've seen, it doesn't have option to mount physical/virtual CD drives), you'll have to use tools like others have said. In my case, I've used ImgBurn, but that was long time ago and I'm not sure if it's recommended to use it.

Also take note: Make sure to keep original MDF files, do not delete them even if you have ISO copy. MDF image files may have additional data that is not available in ISO format.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How can i use .mdf file on a VM?        Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:01 pm 
FTP Access

TomKTW wrote:
Also take note: Make sure to keep original MDF files, do not delete them even if you have ISO copy. MDF image files may have additional data that is not available in ISO format.

Well, by definition the MDF image files contain additional data that's not available on an ISO, as the ISO is just the ISO-9660 filesystem from the first track on the disc. Whether the MDF contains any important data beyond what you find on the ISO is a whole different thing however :)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: How can i use .mdf file on a VM?        Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Build 7077 Korean
Thanks for replying! I will try it. But am I able to assign mdf as a virtual drive on Alchol120% or PowerISO??

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How can i use .mdf file on a VM?        Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Android 2.3.7
HexagonWin wrote:
Thanks for replying! I will try it. But am I able to assign mdf as a virtual drive on Alchol120% or PowerISO??

You can assign MDF image file to Alcohol 120% virtual drive and then connect that virtual drive to virtual machine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How can i use .mdf file on a VM?        Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:51 am 
FTP Access

You don't have to use any special tools unless your CD or DVD actually uses the subchannel data (such as media with audio tracks); just open it up in WinImage and use the "Convert to ISO image" feature to convert it from there.

Top  Profile  WWW