BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 30d, 23h, 0m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5860MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Is it possible to buy betas?        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:12 am 

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
What i mean is, is it possible to go to the Microsoft Archive (you know, the one with neptune 5111.6) and buy a beta? Or buy a beta from Microsoft, since i don't really know how to find betas, other than googling, which leads to usually nothing.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to buy betas?        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:41 am 
Administrator

No it's not.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to buy betas?        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:42 am 

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
It isn't? I thought you could, i mean, hasn't it happened with the february 23rd 2008 proto release? drx bought some of those betas i think.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to buy betas?        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:44 am 
Administrator

No you can't buy vintage, nor current betas from Microsoft.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to buy betas?        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:59 pm 

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
What about other companies?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to buy betas?        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows XP Media Center Edition
OdysseyNeptune wrote:
What about other companies?

I doubt any other companies have betas. They probably disposed of their betas so they could have more room or disk space (EDIT: for newer programs). And beta collectors that have builds that are unleaked wouldn't sell them either. In some cases, collectors have spent thousands of dollars and lots of their time building up their collections.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to buy betas?        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:12 pm 
Administrator

Unless the company has an open beta program they will not sell you any betas, and absolutely not any old ones. There are too many legal consequences and too high cost for something that yields minimal profit, if any at all. So don't expect any companies to publish anything except for early access publishers and the insider beta program for Microsoft etc.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to buy betas?        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Most computer companies wouldn't waste time testing betas. All they would do with them is update drivers that don't work with the new version of Windows and test compatibility. Once they have updated their drivers and tested for compatibility, they would probably delete or get rid of the betas. They don't have any use to any computer company.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to buy betas?        Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:20 pm 

The copyright for software belongs to it's creator. MS does not provide special/development builds because they have no reason to. Special builds usually come with some sort of confidentiality agreement and/or understanding of trust. Breaking that can be problematic. So most owners do not give out or sell stuff like that (at least intentionally). Companies only keep software as long as they need to before destroying them. For those reasons, leaks usually come from individuals who care about preservation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to buy betas?        Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:59 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Pencil and paper
Pre-release software media turns up on eBay every now and then. Usually this is the result of someone who tested the software dying and a junk collector selling off the belongings. Unless it is a factory pressed floppy or CD, there is typically little interest.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to buy betas?        Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:42 pm 

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
I think they do save betas, after all, on 2008 there was a HUGE beta leak.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to buy betas?        Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:55 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OdysseyNeptune wrote:
I think they do save betas, after all, on 2008 there was a HUGE beta leak.

They don't. As I said earlier, they don't waste shelf or disk space with betas. Once they have updated their drivers and software, they will delete or destroy betas. They serve no use to any company once the full version of Windows has been released.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to buy betas?        Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:44 pm 

Favourite OS
WinNT 3.x, Win95, 3.00.14, Linux
The Microsoft Archives make some effort to archive betas. They have Neptune CDs and stuff.

In addition, they don't intentionally destroy betas. A lot of employees keep their burnlab discs around because they have no use for them and sell them later on. Also, you can view the old Source Depot tree and compile any build of windows you want from any branch if you wanted to if you had access to it (most microsoft programmers do i think) (back to 2197, the start of XP) and they have source trees for other versions (NT 4 definitely, as thats where the OSS'd WinFile from nt4 comes from, it was copied directly from it in 2007)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to buy betas?        Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:59 am 
Donator

OdysseyNeptune wrote:
What i mean is, is it possible to go to the Microsoft Archive (you know, the one with neptune 5111.6) and buy a beta? Or buy a beta from Microsoft, since i don't really know how to find betas, other than googling, which leads to usually nothing.

Microsoft Archive is an archive, not a shop. It says that right on the tin. It's not possible to go to the Louvre Museum in Paris and buy the original Mona Lisa either.

However, you most certainly can buy betas from other places. Quick eBay search for "windows beta" brings a build 347 disc. Now this specific disc is for sale since at least April 2017 as $950 is of course way too expensive for such a release. I guess it does prove a point though.

It should be noted that it's not very likely to come across an unleaked beta this way though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Is it possible to buy betas?        Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:53 pm 

I think Ebay might have some. I seen some betas for sale before.

Top  Profile