Help with dumping floppies

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
Kovu

Help with dumping floppies

Post by Kovu »

I don't have a floppy-disk reader (3,5"). So I need recommendations on what floppy-disk reader to use, as some are sketchier than others. (I would like to offer a diskette that's probably not seen very often) (I also completely forgot where to post this exactly, so if an admin/moderator can move it to a different category that would be nice)

WILSON2bGg
Donator

Re: Help with dumping floppies

Post by WILSON2bGg »

Your best option would be finding someone with a Kyroflux drive who could do it for you. There are a few people who can do it in the community.
Hey what's up

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

If you don't have access to a Kryoflux device a USB floppy drive works as long as you don't dump non-standard floppy formats such as DMF, XDF etc. Best is if you get a regular floppy drive and connect it to an older PC with a floppy header on the motherboard and use tools such as WinImage etc to dump the floppies into images.
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Overdoze
FTP Access

Post by Overdoze »

mrpijey wrote:Best is if you get a regular floppy drive and connect it to an older PC with a floppy header on the motherboard
And as usual, write protect the floppies first, especially if you're dumping them on a Windows 9x machine. :)
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Moebius

Post by Moebius »

Overdoze wrote:
mrpijey wrote:Best is if you get a regular floppy drive and connect it to an older PC with a floppy header on the motherboard
And as usual, write protect the floppies first, especially if you're dumping them on a Windows 9x machine. :)
Correction: ANY Windows as of 95 including NT-family. It's a common legend that only Win9x modifies disk's boot and root areas but it's false. It happens even on XP and probably later versions, too.