BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 20d, 3h, 48m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 5964MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [SOLVED] C: on PCem IBM XT        Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:38 am 
FTP Access

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3, Windows 1.0 DR5
UPDATE:
I have it working now (Hurray!). I even went above and beyond by having custom directories to have multiple systems, with their respective config, HDD, and boot floppies (if needed). I also created a custom program (with QB64) to select which system I want.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm wanting to play around with Windows 1.0 DR5, etc. on PCem, however I cannot for the life of me get the virtual machine to detect that there is a fixed disk on C:. I've set it up for the IBM XT, as well as clones, but I can't get it to work. FDISK says "No fixed disks present.". I've tried looking it up on Google, but no luck. Switching to an AMI 386XS, with everything else the same, I'm able to get it to detect it, with the BIOS.

I've also tried 86box, but no luck there either. Funnily enough, there's an online emulator (PCjs) that has the IBM XT as a pre-configured option, with Windows 1.0 PE installed, and I've gotten Windows DR5 installed onto there, multiple times, no problem.

https://pastebin.com/DM41D1Vh

I've also tried flashing a different BIOS with XTIDECFG, but even that fails, with "Timeout when polling EEPROM. EEPROM was not flashed properly.". Am I just being an idiot, or is this whole thing an issue with PCem/86box?

3. Windows 10
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows 8.1
6. Windows Vista (SP2)
7. Windows 8.0
8. Windows Vista (SP0)
9. Windows ME

Last edited by JimOlive on Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:20 am, edited 5 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: C: on PCem IBM XT        Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:05 am 
FTP Access

In the not too distant future... next Sunday, A.D.

Favourite OS
Windows 10 (don't @ me)
Do you have a HD controller?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: C: on PCem IBM XT        Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:09 am 
FTP Access

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Favourite OS
LilShootDawg wrote:
Do you have a HD controller?

I don't know, but as I said, the same HDD .IMG image works on a different PC/processor type, with everything else exactly the same.

3. Windows 10
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows 8.1
6. Windows Vista (SP2)
7. Windows 8.0
8. Windows Vista (SP0)
9. Windows ME

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: C: on PCem IBM XT        Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:47 am 
FTP Access

In the not too distant future... next Sunday, A.D.

Favourite OS
Windows 10 (don't @ me)
That's your problem. Use this Image

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: C: on PCem IBM XT        Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:56 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Pretty sure I have the XTIDE ROM(s), but the list here is empty, and the config icon to the right is un-clickable.

3. Windows 10
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows 8.1
6. Windows Vista (SP2)
7. Windows 8.0
8. Windows Vista (SP0)
9. Windows ME

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: C: on PCem IBM XT        Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:01 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
After some further digging in 86box, I was able to find some HDD controller options, not in the HDD options. I think I have 86box working now.

3. Windows 10
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows 8.1
6. Windows Vista (SP2)
7. Windows 8.0
8. Windows Vista (SP0)
9. Windows ME

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: C: on PCem IBM XT        Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows, OS/2, DOS
It's best to use MFM as the HDD controller, like the original IBM Xebec one from 1983.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: C: on PCem IBM XT        Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:03 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
TheCollector1988 wrote:
It's best to use MFM as the HDD controller, like the original IBM Xebec one from 1983.

Yes, that's what I'm using, so it auto boots from floppy, as XTIDE does the HDD by default if you don't press A. I even have custom directories to have multiple systems, and a custom made program to select which system I want.

3. Windows 10
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows 8.1
6. Windows Vista (SP2)
7. Windows 8.0
8. Windows Vista (SP0)
9. Windows ME

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [SOLVED] C: on PCem IBM XT        Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:44 am 
Donator

Offtopic Comment
You can use the 86Box Manager to manage your VMs. It gets along with 86Box pretty nicely.

Top  Profile