BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 14d, 19h, 11m | CPU: 2% | MEM: 5377MB of 11650MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Microsoft ISO Repository        Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:02 am 

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3
Do you guys already tried to download a official ISO from your old and scratched disc? My case happened when I try to download the Microsoft Office 2007 Small Business.

Now Im thinking, create a repository, where I will try to gather as many of them, and make it available for download, would it be illegal? I mean the juridic thing, such as receiving a notification to c&d from MS?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft ISO Repository        Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:24 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1 DR5 to 10 build 9901
Are you requesting it or offering it? Also, the FTP server already has dumps of various Office 2007 versions and older. And so are Windows Vista and older versions of Windows. If you want to create your own repository, just get FTP Access and download them for your own personal use. However, I'm not sure if you can share them outside of the forum but not certainly to other members who don't have FTP Access as it's against forum rules.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft ISO Repository        Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:30 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3
My plan is a website where you choose between Windows and Office, the version and the language, and simple download the ISO.

As said before, are legal share MS ISOs?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft ISO Repository        Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074, Whistler 2419
Fapstation wrote:
My plan is a website where you choose between Windows and Office, the version and the language, and simple download the ISO.

Well, I don't think it's fully legal unless you're only going to upload versions that can be described as Abandonware (>=10 years since the day of release) or beta versions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft ISO Repository        Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP Media Center Edition
If your plan is to take BA versions and leak them, don't.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft ISO Repository        Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:36 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP3
WILSON2bGg wrote:
If your plan is to take BA versions and leak them, don't.

Naaah, for this we have WinWorldPC.

I just want upload complete versions, e.g: Windows 7 SP1 PT-BR, Windows 7 SP1 EN-US, like the MSDN ISOs, for who havent acess on MSDN (like me lol).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft ISO Repository        Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:43 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1 DR5 to 10 build 9901
I would say definitely don't do it as you can get banned permanently from the forum, even if you did have FTP Access. Obtaining these software took so much effort and you are simply going to share them to some site? The members who shared their abandonware versions of Windows and Office would definitely not approve of what you would do.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft ISO Repository        Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:44 pm 

Resident007 wrote:
Fapstation wrote:

Well, I don't think it's fully legal unless you're only going to upload versions that can be described as Abandonware (>=10 years since the day of release) or beta versions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

[Disclaimer Not A Lawyer]
While consumers are really paying for the license and not the disk, duplicating and sharing Microsoft's ISOs would still be violating their copyright. The exemptions depend on the country. If we are talking about newer stuff, Microsoft may argue market harm.
I'd think the chances of getting a c&d from them are lower if you don't make any money or distribute cracks. Maybe staff/lawyers can provide more insight here?

Last edited by MrBurgerKing on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft ISO Repository        Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
But there is Techbench ISO downloader. It's able to download windows 7 and newer

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft ISO Repository        Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:44 pm 

tjd2 wrote:
But there is Techbench ISO downloader. It's able to download windows 7 and newer

[Disclaimer not a lawyer]
Yes, but that's a tool that downloads publicly available isos from Microsoft's own servers legally. They own the rights to their own software, they just choose to make the disks readily available. OP wants to copy and distribute Microsoft IP without owning those rights, which could violate copyright. There are exemptions, but those depend on the country.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft ISO Repository        Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:26 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Just saying, BetaArchive is pretty much an ISO archive for the unsupported operating systems and most supported ones you can find if you have a key.

Top  Profile